New Entertainment Choice On Aa

FA Mikey

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
miami
goldwatermiller08.com
article

In November, AMR Corp.'s American Airlines, the world's largest carrier, will begin testing a device called the "Pea" -- Personal Entertainment Appliance -- that offers movies yet to be released in video stores and electronic versions of newspapers and magazines that will be updated daily.

This along with the new meals on wheels (for a charge program). Will be keeping the f/a's busier in the cabin.

By not installing some sort of IFE on the MD-80s either when they were purchased or when huge profits were rolling in, AA painted itself into a corner.

Of course now it's too late to think about spending tons of money to wire all the MD-80s to provide IFE.

B6 offers inflight TV at every seat. Initially, B6 planned to charge for it ($5 IIRC), but abandoned that plan - it's free for everyone. And even if AA wired its entire fleet for B6-style DirecTV, B6 bought the company - no way would AA pay B6 for the programming.

Some "experts" think that AA is at a disadvantage because so much of its fleet lacks IFE. A bunch of other "experts" see AA's decision to offer personal IFE devices on an ala carte basis as a massive waste of time, energy and money.

Renting personal IFE for $10 per flight looks to me like a possible massive waste of time, energy and money. But maybe I'm wrong.

I fly a lot - and on shorter flights (like typical MD-80 flights), the lack of IFE isn't an issue. For 20 years now I have flown with a portable CD player, and it is a very easy way to pass the time while reading. The addition of BOSE QCs several years ago made it possible to really drown out the unwanted sounds.

For longer flights, a portable DVD player (or DVD-equipped laptop) provides excellent IFE, without any of hassles that I predict will come from AA's test of AA-provided personal IFE devices. And the recent decline in price for portable DVD players (Target has several in the $200-$300 range) puts them within reach of nearly everyone who can afford an airline ticket. With a headphone splitter, 2 people can easily watch a movie of their choice.

I feel for the decision-makers at AA. Some people are telling them that AA can't compete without IFE, so they are going to test what they can afford.

Meanwhile, WN keeps chugging along, posting impressive traffic numbers for September, without IFE or food or assigned seats.

IMO, the best thing AA could do is to wire more in-seat power to more coach seats. Be it the 15 volt DC or perhaps 110 volt as Northwest is doing at every WBC seat on its new A330s:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/041001/cgf026_1.html

Of course, wouldn't you know, NW also has a an on-demand personal IFE at every seat on these new planes. :D

For me, IFE is one of the considerations I make when buying an airline ticket. It's not the most important consideration, but all else being equal, IFE is the decision maker. The decision is: If airline A has TV's in the cabin and airline B does not, I choose airline B. :)

I HATE in-flight TV (or movie, whatever). Read a book or a magazine. Take a nap. Stare out the window. Or bring your own DVD player if you can't go without your fix for a couple of hours.

The only time I fly CO (because of guaranteed IFE plus some other reasons) is if I am flying to a CO monopoly airport such as EFD. I have flown CO just once in the last few years, and that was when I flew to EFD.

If AA installs IFE on every plane like CO, it's good-bye AA (except monopoly airports such as GGG).

FWAAA said:
By not installing some sort of IFE on the MD-80s either when they were purchased or when huge profits were rolling in, AA painted itself into a corner.

FWAAA,

My experience on the business flights has been that they could care less about CBS Eye on American. They care about a powerport, an aisle seat, and overhead bin space. They are working and they really aren't concerned about B6's satellite TV...or the Terra Chips. They just want to go home. We offer the frequencies.

They also are pretty predictable, Early am it is coffee, 4pm on, the bar is open and I'm out of Dewar's and Crown. They have stressful jobs.

Coop

SLT