New Front In Lcc War

BoeingBoy

Veteran
Nov 9, 2003
New Front Opening in Battle between Major Airlines, Low-Fare Rivals

By Trebor Banstetter, Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Texas Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News

Mar. 14 - After a protracted competitive war in the United States, low-fare carriers are opening a new front in their fight against the major airlines -- flights to Latin America, Europe and Asia.

Article

Jim

mweiss,

Good article. To paraphrase a famous campaign line from 1992, "It's the fares, stupid."

Jim

And, to add insult to injury...

A friend of mine just started at ATA. He said they were told in class that ATA is finalizing plans to start regularly scheduled service to Europe in the Fall. Don't know yet what the U.S. originating city (or cities) will be.

This was said about low cost airlines on Real Time With Bill Maher

New Rule: Big, crappy airlines have to stop pretending to be cute, little airlines. First, Delta created Song, and now United has Ted. And Virgin has one coming called "Slut." You're supposed to believe that you're flying on an adorable little start-up, when really it's the same-old-same-old, except the stewardesses wear baseball caps. Plus, airlines are not among the industries I wish to think of as "mom-and-pop" operations. As far as I'm concerned, the bigger you are, the better!

http://www.hbo.com/billmaher/new_rules/

jimntx said:

A friend of mine just started at ATA. He said they were told in class that ATA is finalizing plans to start regularly scheduled service to Europe in the Fall. Don't know yet what the U.S. originating city (or cities) will be.
With what equipment, I wonder.

PHL said:
jimntx said:

With what equipment, I wonder.
Well, they already have L-1011's and 757s. And, lord knows, there are plenty of ai/c available for lease these days. ATA has done overseas charters for years.