New Hire F/A Info?

Flyboy4u

Veteran
Oct 6, 2002
Could anyone give me some info on Air Tran as far as New hires go? Can one commute with Air Tran? What''s the salary range? How many months is reserve? Any new bases being looked at beside ATL? Are recall rights with other airlines having to be forfeited? Any info would greatly be appreciated. Thank You

No one at AirTran wants to talk. They are from Atlanta----must be inbred. Bubba gets his brother , mother and sister a job. Just puts up jobs on their website to comply with 40 years of liberal lawmaking. Forget it pal, you are not getting a job there!

You do have to resign from the airline you are furloughed from. I had my second interview last month and I don't think I got hired. I came from a major airline. They do things differently. It's a low cost carrier and right now, reserves are being flown a lot. The flight attendants turned down the tenative contract. A friend of mine who went from United to Air Tran was absolutely miserable. One of the supervisors was very unkind to her, and the supervisor herself told her to violate an FAA regulation. There's two sides to everything but from what my friend tells me, it's just very different from a major carrier.Good luck!

----------------
On 8/9/2003 9:32:21 PM diva wrote:

You do have to resign from the airline you are furloughed from. I had my second interview last month and I don't think I got hired. I came from a major airline. They do things differently. It's a low cost carrier and right now, reserves are being flown a lot. The flight attendants turned down the tenative contract. A friend of mine who went from United to Air Tran was absolutely miserable. One of the supervisors was very unkind to her, and the supervisor herself told her to violate an FAA regulation. There's two sides to everything but from what my friend tells me, it's just very different from a major carrier.Good luck!

----------------​
It is very different, AirTran is making money!

ac500 said:
It is very different, AirTran is making money!
If they are cutting corners and not following FARs then it is not a very level playing field now is it.

This thread is a bit amusing. Two of the posters have recently tried to gain employment at AirTran and have either not been called or hired for the job so therefore have tried to bash the airline. As for bear96's comments about violating FAR's and a level playing field, why would you use someone else's post and treat it like factual information?

ac500 said:
As for bear96's comments about violating FAR's and a level playing field, why would you use someone else's post and treat it like factual information?
For the record, I did say IF.

I don't think you have to resign if furloughed under every circumstance. I just flew with someone from a major that took a five-year voluntary leave. Maybe AirTran doesn't know about it; I'm not sure. They did say they're not sure if the major will even be around when they're due to return.

Yes, many reserves do commute.

Right now Atlanta is the only base. The Company and the Union have agreed to a virtual base concept where F/As will begin and end trips out of a virtual base but still be technically based in Atlanta. Most of us assume that Orlando will be one. I think Baltimore, Philadelphia and Dallas/Ft. Worth are down the road.

Reserve is hard but the voted-down tentative agreement had many significant improvements for reserves. I'm sure the Agreement will be passed once the language is tweaked a bit. Reserve has been running 5 to 8 months this year. We are taking seven more planes in 2003 and at least 19 in 2004 so reserve time will probably go down.

Pay starts at $18.56 and hour (there will likely be a lower "B" scale with the new Contract, however) with a 70 hour guarantee. Reserve lately have been averaging about 85 hours. Increases at 6 months and one year are pretty good.

AirTran is not a very warm and fuzzy, touchy-feely company but its on solid ground, growing and making money. Most employees are great. It sure beats working! ;)

Bear96 said:
If they are cutting corners and not following FARs then it is not a very level playing field now is it.
Take it with a grain of salt. A big grain, actually....

I worked briefly for FL in a ground position, before leaving to take a management position at another carrier (took the FL job to stay in the industry, but have no desire to return to ATL). I can say that from my experience, FL employees work hard, but always work safe. FL management knows that the media thinks their name is "AirTran, formerly known as ValuJet". All it would take is one serious incident to undo all that they have worked for in the past few years. I found them to be very focused on safety, and running a professional operation. My experience with inflight was limited to the crews that came thru my station, but there always seemed to be an opening in ATL for an Inflight Supervisor. Don't know if the position is a revolving door, or if growth means they are adding supervisor positions. Since my background is Inflight Mgmt., I'd love to see a base open in a northern city. I just have no desire to return to ATL....