New Hire Flight Attendant Questions...

flyguy121

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
I''ve been invited to a flight attendant interview for JetBlue and am VERY interested in the company...but have so many questions/concerns...could someone with accurate information please clue me in?
1) How long is training? I heard it was partially in MIA and partially in NY.
2) Is training paid?
3) I know accomodations for training are provided in MIA...are they also provided in NYC?
4) I currently live in the Philadelphia area...if I were to be based in JFK...would it be possible to commute?
5) How much notice are you given to report for duty? I''ve been told that you need to be available within 2 hours of JFK, but that you are ALMOST ALWAYS given 6-8 hours before a trip to prepare and get ready and report to the airport.
6) I''m REALLY interested in being based in FLL, how long would it to take to get a transfer into FLL as a new hire?
7) How many flight attendants are currently employed by jetBlue? How many are baed in JFK? How many in FLL?
8) What can I expect to make as a new flight attendant? What is the minimum guarantee? How many hours am I permitted to fly and how many hours can I REALISTICALLY EXPECT to fly?
9) As a US Airways flight attendant currently on furlough, will I be asked to give up my seniority number and resign from US Airways? (And on a personal note...do you believe that leaving a possible future with US Airways is worth the opportunity to be employed at jetBlue?)
I know these are a lot of questions...but if someone could help me out with FACTUAL information...it would be GREATLY appreciated!

I can help you out with a few.
1)Training is just over 3 weeks. 14 days in MIA, and 10 days is NYC(Forest Hills)
2)Training is paid.
3)Accomodation are paid in MIA, including hotel and rental van. However, once in NYC you are on your own(which is fair since you are on payroll from day 1)
4)As far as commuting goes, it might be kinda hard. Since we are a new airline, we do not have many agreements with other airlines)I live in TPA, and will be commuting.
5)Can not help you with this yet(just coming out of training)
6)There is a base in FLL, but is currently full since there are not that many flight options out of FLL. But you can bid for it.
7)Last I heard, there are just shy of 1000 f/a's, majority based at JFK
8)Flight attendants are paid $20/hr up to 70 hours, and $30/hr and hour after. Right now f/a's are flying a minimum of 90+ hours
9)This one I can not help, since I am new to the industry.

Hope all this can help

On 2/17/2003 2:24:38 PM flyguy121 wrote:

I''ve been invited to a flight attendant interview for JetBlue and am VERY interested in the company...but have so many questions/concerns...could someone with accurate information please clue me in?

1) How long is training? I heard it was partially in MIA and partially in NY.

2) Is training paid?

3) I know accomodations for training are provided in MIA...are they also provided in NYC?

4) I currently live in the Philadelphia area...if I were to be based in JFK...would it be possible to commute?

5) How much notice are you given to report for duty? I''ve been told that you need to be available within 2 hours of JFK, but that you are ALMOST ALWAYS given 6-8 hours before a trip to prepare and get ready and report to the airport.

6) I''m REALLY interested in being based in FLL, how long would it to take to get a transfer into FLL as a new hire?

7) How many flight attendants are currently employed by jetBlue? How many are baed in JFK? How many in FLL?

8) What can I expect to make as a new flight attendant? What is the minimum guarantee? How many hours am I permitted to fly and how many hours can I REALISTICALLY EXPECT to fly?

9) As a US Airways flight attendant currently on furlough, will I be asked to give up my seniority number and resign from US Airways? (And on a personal note...do you believe that leaving a possible future with US Airways is worth the opportunity to be employed at jetBlue?)

I know these are a lot of questions...but if someone could help me out with FACTUAL information...it would be GREATLY appreciated.

--------------------------

Lemme see if I can fill in where chadbtpa left off...

5) 2 hour call out...but like anywhere there are short calls. Don''t put yourself in a bad position...after all, time spent on reserve here is SO short...why risk it?

9) Yes, plan on giving up US Airways. We''ve been burned by people on furlough before...why should we expect to be someone''s 2nd choice? It can be a tough transition for some...this is not like any other airline...we think outside the box...you have to break out of habits that you may have thought were instrinsic to the job before (e.g., we will actively walk up to a passenger who''s boarding...grab their bag for them and stow it in the overhead--you should see the expression of their face!).

This is a GREAT airline to work for if you *really* believe that an airline can operate the way you always thought it should. Employees come first here...and that in turn creates a great customer experience. I left Alaska Airlines on my own free will after 7 years to come here because I believe this airline really "gets it". Sure we have problems and growing pains...but consider the chance to help build the kind of airline you''d really like to work for.

If this sounds like something you could really enjoy...I hope to see you online!

Email me if you have any more questions...

[email protected]

Bidding for FLL makes sense, if you live there. That is the whole reason for the base, alot of people wanted it and it made sense to the company.

As far as the productivity, it is less than JFK, something the company did indeed state and something people were aware of. There is however, always changes and new routes being added, so that should increase productivity.

Not sure how to respond to UX''s assesment of the pax on the routes, suffice to say, that he/she had better remember, those along with all of our guest, pays his/her bills. Pax are the reason we are here, not the other way around.

UX, if you feel the desire to respond, do PM me.

Can anyone tell me how to submitt an application for F/A with Jet Blue and are they hiring?

So you get $20 per hr for the first 70hrs and 30 per hr for the next 20 hr and you fly a min of 90 hrs? Is that the max amt in your contract or for first year F/A? That only adds up to $2000.00 per month before taxes(not including your expense money) How will any of you buy a home in the NY area or support a family? What kind of on the job injury insurance does JB have? If you are lifting PAX bags into the overhead you could get hurt. I''m sure you are a great bunch of very enthusiastic F/A but after a few years on the job you are going to need more money to make it in the real world.

----------------
On 4/9/2003 11:49:07 PM Us/Metro wrote:

So you get $20 per hr for the first 70hrs and 30 per hr for the next 20 hr and you fly a min of 90 hrs? Is that the max amt in your contract or for first year F/A? That only adds up to $2000.00 per month before taxes(not including your expense money) How will any of you buy a home in the NY area or support a family? What kind of on the job injury insurance does JB have? If you are lifting PAX bags into the overhead you could get hurt. I''m sure you are a great bunch of very enthusiastic F/A but after a few years on the job you are going to need more money to make it in the real world.

----------------​
1) No contract. Our current monthly minimum (this varies month to month but not much) is 90 hrs., but you can fly up to 150 hrs. if you really wanted to.

2) OJI insurance? It''s comparable to other airlines. You could get hurt lifting your own bag for that matter. Please remember that not every FA at JetBlue is an industry neophyte...many of us have years of flying experience elsewhere as well. We''re paid fairly for the work done...we have a 12 yr. pay scale...and because it isn''t part of a collective bargaining agreement, it can be modified as needed to remain competitive. (I believe this was already done with the pilot group.)

Thanks for playing.

----------------
On 4/10/2003 2:12:36 PM BlueCrew wrote:

----------------
On 4/9/2003 11:49:07 PM Us/Metro wrote:

----------------​
1) No contract. Our current monthly minimum (this varies month to month but not much) is 90 hrs., but you can fly up to 150 hrs. if you really wanted to.

2) OJI insurance? It''s comparable to other airlines. You could get hurt lifting your own bag for that matter. Please remember that not every FA at JetBlue is an industry neophyte...many of us have years of flying experience elsewhere as well. We''re paid fairly for the work done...we have a 12 yr. pay scale...and because it isn''t part of a collective bargaining agreement, it can be modified as needed to remain competitive. (I believe this was already done with the pilot group.)

Thanks for playing.

----------------​

1) who would want to fly 150 hours?????

2)wouldn''t AMR love to have that flexability? This is what unions at the majors are up against. people willing to work for a company that will work you to 150 hours so that you can pay your bills and then have the ability to adjust your pay to stay competitve. How much are you willing to work for to "stay" competitive? Don''t get me wrong Jetblue is a great little airline, its just another example of where the strives of the airline unions over the years are being chipped away at.

Thanks for all the responses. I must say I am now in a quandry. I attended the jetBlue review last month and was successful. I was offered a position in the April training class but declined because I had decided after attending the interview that living in New York would not be for me and just too difficult a transition to make. I would have said yes in a heartbeat if we were going to be based in Ft. Lauderdale, however, the Recruiters said that EVERYONE would be JFK based and made it sound like quite some time before anyone would be awarded FLL.

Today, a friend of mine that lives in FLL and knows someone in the Training Class going through right now (the one I WAS SUPPOSED TO BE IN) told me that there will, indeed be people assigned to FLL right out of this new hire class! I''m absolutely devastated that I gave up my chance at jetBlue because I did not want to be JFK based and missed out on moving back to FLL where I lived right before going to US Airways, moving from FLL to Philadelphia and then getting furloughed!

CAN ANYONE CONFIRM THAT THERE REALLY ARE NEW HIRES BEING ASSIGNED TO FLL RIGHT NOW???

Yes, its true new hires can and have gone to FLL. You might not have given up your chance. Call them and tell them you want the job. They are very flexible and will probally work with you. I dont know why you didnt take the job knowing that we have a FLL base and that it might just take a year or two to get there. Now its just a month or right out of training. With 18 flights a day from FLL to JFK commuting isnt bad.

I am also a furloughed USAir employee and am interested in filling out an application for JetBlue. Any answers to these questions would be great. How many are graduating at the end of each month(aprox)? Will I be asked to show proof of resignation from USAir(I know this question was already asked). What is the "per-diem" pay and how does it work? And finally is it really true one can work up to 150hrs a month? You guys are great, Thx for any help. Sincerly,Another laid-off airline employee

Are you this indecisive in real life or are you joking?

Take the job and make it work for you.

You seem fond of mentioning that you "were invited" and "were offered" -- dayum you must be an off-the-charts f/a!

(I could go on but think it best to stop commenting now...)

Lately the classes have been double in size (super-sized? would you like an apple pie with that?)...anywhere from around 30 to 70.

As for a formal resignation...I can''t speak to that. I do know that we''ve had some bad news with hiring furloughed FAs, either they put on a good act during training then turn into monsters on the line, bringing their old bad attitudes/habits. Integrity is a core value at this company and lack thereof will bring things to a screeching halt pretty quickly.

That being said, we also have some great people who have been furloughed from other companies and are happy to be here in a new chapter of their career without looking back. They''re happy here.

Yes, it''s true you can fly up to 150 hours a month if you wanted...assuming you''re legal by FARs and there''s flying available to do it. A lot of people do it...120 hours a month is not that uncommon here.

Our per diem is $1.80/hr...paid from check-in (1 hr. prior to dptr.) until block-in. I think this is pretty typical in the industry, though the amount differs from carrier to carrier.

Hope this helps.

----------------
On 5/5/2003 2:58:59 PM pitguy74 wrote:

I am also a furloughed USAir employee and am interested in filling out an application for JetBlue. Any answers to these questions would be great. How many are graduating at the end of each month(aprox)? Will I be asked to show proof of resignation from USAir(I know this question was already asked). What is the "per-diem" pay and how does it work? And finally is it really true one can work up to 150hrs a month? You guys are great, Thx for any help. Sincerly,Another laid-off airline employee

----------------​