New International Concourse in CLT

JetGuy's posting CLTCDG and his mention of the new intl concourse got me thinking....when is this thing supposed to be started/finished? Will this bring more airlines like BA back to CLT? Anyone know how many gates will be served and what routes might be served by US? How will this concourse connect to the main terminal ? I thought the current construction on the property was for the new runway, but I'd love to know more about the planned new terminal...there was a lot of chatter at work about it but no one has said anything for a long time...anyone know anything?

Someone a while back had posted a picture of what looked like the CLT master plan or something. it was really neat. The build out of concourse B and C and the new int'l terminal. It looked HUGE. Anyone have it?

I can't seem to find the picture of the aiport's master plan but from what the people at the city are saying, its going to be where the rental car companies currently are. One they finish the ticket counter expansion and move the rental car companies into the new parking decks that will replace the ones that are currently the daily decks in front of the ticket counter. The terminal is said to be a 25 gate stand alone terminal that all gates would be widebody able. This would be connected to the main terminal by people movers to the A Concourse. Oh, the FAA tower is moving to mid field and a hotel is going where it currently sits. Or so they say?

Here's the master plan I could find, I believe it's the latest. The express gates and the Int'l terminal would be connected via underground walkways I believe.

mplanview1.JPG

Attachments

• Clt_MP.JPG
    Clt_MP.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 428
Here's the master plan I could find, I believe it's the latest. The express gates and the Int'l terminal would be connected via underground walkways I believe.

mplanview1.JPG
wow. that looks nice. clt has a lot of potential. it can make a great intl gateway .

Holy Chit...If CLT actually looked like that it'd be the best hub anywhere :) With that sweet southern feeling and great employees (Except in B Concourse) we should be rockin ;)

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte...&ana=e_vert
Note: "...A financing plan has not been formulated -- and won't be for about two years....."

It is my understanding that the plan for a 2011 availability has either been downsized recently to less gates (i.e., build in phases), or the entire project has been temporarily postponed. Maybe someone here can confirm or refute this. An international expansion plan for CLT has been underway for at least the last 10 years. IMO, with today's economics, committing to building a new 25 gate international terminal starting 2 years from now, based on "hopes" that it will attract many more international carriers (away from ATL) and increase corporate headquarters growth in the region, is a little naive, especially if US does not survive in it's present form.

All airports have master plans. The one for PIT has a second “Xâ€￾ Airside Terminal, but that doesn’t mean it’s going to happen anytime soon.

I like CLT, though. It would be nice to see this come through before I'm old and grey.

N965VJ is correct, all airports have master plans than may never happen, or the design may change year to year. Look at the MP posted, E Con looks nothing like the original plan. There is a prebid later this month for the new Valet deck on Wilkinson, then the plan is for a series of decks to be built along Wilkinson towards Little Rock complete w/ Skycaps. About half the property has been purchased already, the State has purchased or is in the process of purchasing the land where the Copal sits on for an I-85 exit into the airport. But you have to wonder with all yours eggs in one basket, this could go sour fast....

The International terminal is pretty much ago as I read in the Charlotte observer a few months ago. No mention on any other expansion on Concourse B though.

THey're going to demolish the parking deck infront of the dropoff and build a larger parking deck and put the rental car spaces in the parking deck and put the new international terminal where the rental cars are.

Also, they plan on extending out the dropoff area and revamping the place up.

I also think I heard the new international terminal would be very cheaply done and put up very fast to keep airport cost down.

Again, this is based off my memory from the newspaper...

I also think I heard the new international terminal would be very cheaply done and put up very fast to keep airport cost down.

Okay, I am not happy. First of all, if they get rid of the hourly deck, where the F am I supposed to park when I get to work late and don't have time to ride the bus to clock in and then go park in employee lot. BOO FOR THAT. :down:

Secondly, I doubt that this would be cheaply done, they have spent a lot of money making CLT one of the most beautiful airports to fly through (the newer parts )

Thirdly, it's raining all hurricane style outside and I don't appreciate that. I don't know that relates, but i felt it necessary to disclose. :)

The International terminal is pretty much ago as I read in the Charlotte observer a few months ago. No mention on any other expansion on Concourse B though.

THey're going to demolish the parking deck infront of the dropoff and build a larger parking deck and put the rental car spaces in the parking deck and put the new international terminal where the rental cars are.

Also, they plan on extending out the dropoff area and revamping the place up.

Sounds like USAIRWAYS ,DP, and JO,Airport Director ,are on the same page when it comes to doing things cheap....you get what you pay for

Wonder if CLT would be an ideal hub if we merged with United and closed IAD down and shifted all INTL to CLT...that would solve anti-trust issues with PHL/IAD and it's only a 450 nautical mile difference from IAD to CLT...I'd support this if CLT actually built whats in the Masterplan :)

I believe the difference in the E terminal and that on the master plan, is as they are doing it in stages, they have it connected for the time being. If you ever taxi out around the far end where the new concrete is after this last expansion, you'll notice some blacktop. That blacktop is where the next e gate expansion will be built on top of. I read somewhere in the masterplan, that once that gets completed, the connector area between D and E will be knocked down and aircraft will be able to taxi both ways around E. With a people mover moved under ground.

Latest posts