New ISP Thread-without the Exclamations

Art at ISP

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Dix Hills NY
www.ffocus.org
I thought it would be appropriate to start a new ISP thread, without the shouting and exclamation points in the headline.
Has anyone heard anything new regarding ISP service? Although the US schedule doesn''t show this, the new pocket OAG shows only 4 flights PHL-ISP in February-they must have accidentally deleted 3641 from the listing-although they might know something we don''t.
Also in case no one has noticed, Eagle is down to only 3 r/t per day ISP-BOS. That is definitely not good news.
Thanks in advance to anyone with news!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/29/2003 6:58:31 AM coolflyingfool wrote:

Has the new terminal construction started yet for AWA?
----------------
[/blockquote]

Assume you meant SWA (WN).

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/29/2003 6:58:31 AM coolflyingfool wrote:

Hello Art - Did you ever get a response from U after that nightmare in PHL with your family? Has the new terminal construction started yet for AWA?
----------------
[/blockquote]

Cool,

Yes U responded completely to my satisfaction, and they have been near perfect since.

Some lots have been cleared but construction won't start for a few more weeks.

And you mean WN, not HP.

Thanks for asking about my situation!

According to this week's Long Island Business News, construction of SWA's new wing at ISP won't start until spring. Apparently, construction has been delayed for months due to a legal dispute between the contractor and the architect. (The architect was hired by the contractor.) Last April, the contractor sued the architect for overbilling and last summer a judge ordered the architect to surrender its plans to the contractor. The architect has since been dismissed and a new architect, James Barclay Associates of Manhattan, has been hired.

The architect that was dismissed, the Baldassano Group, is the architectural firm that designed the previous expansion at ISP.

From Newsday:

Southwest Build Gates OKd

by Tom Incantalupo
STAFF WRITER

February 26, 2003

Construction of four gates at Long Island MacArthur Airport is expected to begin next month, according to Southwest Airlines, which will pay most of the $42 million cost.

Spokeswoman Christine Turneabe-Connelly said the Dallas-based carrier, the largest at the Ronkonkoma airport owned by the Town of Islip, hopes to have the gates ready for use by April 2004.

"We've got all the approvals that we need and we're ready to go," she said. The final approval, she said was a building permit from the town, issued last week.

In December, the Federal Aviation Administration had ruled that the project would have "no significant impact" on the area's environment.

The project, which was opposed by many residents living near the airport, calls for construction of a new concourse and four gates east of the existing east concourse and Southwest's ticket counters. Three existing gates are to be shut down, for a net gain of one gate. The project also includes a new 2,000-space parking lot, to be built in phases as needed.

Southwest, a low-fare carrier that has managed to thrive in one of the industry's worst downturns, began serving MacArthur in 1999 with 12 daily departures. It has 23 daily now, said Turneabe-Connelly. The additional gate will accommodate eight flights a day.

Its arrival at MacArthur represented Southwest's first and so far only presence in the New York metropolitan area and was contingent upon an earlier expansion and modernization of the aging terminal.

Here's another happening related to Delta. When checking in Monday morning on a flight to Cincinnati, there were Comair employees behind the counter. There were also familiar mainline, but it looks like the station is being turned over to Comair with the elimination of Delta Express.

Yeah, the station is being handed over to comair effective April. The class, which includes about 12 agents, started last wdnesday and are being trained at the station. Some mainline people are going to work for comair, however most are going to JFK or taking a sevrence package.

With the announcement from US today regarding RJ purchases, I have to wonder if ISP will benefit at all from this development. It should enable US to serve at least one or more other hubs from ISP in addition to PHL (giving one choice), and should allow them to offer alternatives to the North south routes which are low yield. I''d love to be able to connect through PIT or CLT for SNA for example.

Just my wish list--

Is there any other news about ISP of late???

Art, most of the news involves SWA, which you don''t really care about. They broke ground on their new terminal about a month ago and it is expected to be completed next April. They are adding a new flight on September 10, to Nashville. By itself it''s not too interesting, except looking at the schedule next fall, SWA will then have one-stop service from ISP to LAX with no change of planes. They are starting to tie ISP and the west coast together.

The other news is that ISP is losing more than half its screeners due to TSA cutbacks. We''ll have to wait and see see how adversely that affects wait times.

I would think the impact of fewer screeners to be less than originally anticipated, as at any given time, more than half of them are just standing around doing nothing.

I am just hoping other airlines consider coming back or starting up at ISP soon. I hear rumors of US RJ''s but no confirmation. With DL Express gone soon, it is truly going to be an RJ or prop station except for WN.

Art, other than the possible new tower being built that I posted in the other tread, nothing new specifically to ISP. However, SWA has indicated that they're looking into providing assigned seats. (There's a discussion of this in the SWA forum.) If that happens, will you then fly SWA?