New Job

acmech

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
After almost a year and half after I was laid off from TWA as an aircraft mechanic, I finally found a new line of work away from the airline and aviation industry. It was a matter of advertising the skills as a mechanic that are transferable to other industries. I will never see the airlines again, and the last thing I want to see is an airport or an airplane.
Good luck to those who are still looking, its a matter of advertising the skills that you have that can be applied to other companies. Its frustrating out there, I know. Been there, done that.
How about an internet support group for the laid off airline folks?

acmech,

Congratulations on your new job. I have been looking for quite a while now with no success. Just can't seem to get past the "Chicks" in HR.

If you don't mind telling; what kind of industry did you find employment in? What region of the country are you in? Where you able to interview with the person that would actually hire you? etc. etc.

Anyway, I think your idea for a web site is a good one but, why don't we see if we can get this "job seekers" board going?

For about the last year and a half, I had the same problem with the HR folks. In general they just don't seem to get it: That you are laid off and have zero chance of a recall, which was my case with TWA,so there is a measure of truth there.

I will be going into the inspection industry for aerial lifts and the like. That;s where the hydraulic and mechanical skills come in. It was a matter of advertising the skills that I have as an aircraft mechanic. As far as interviewing went, it was all phone work. I will be based here in the Twin Cities, but the job does involve travel, nothing new there for me, been there, done that.

As far as the job situation here goes, it is starting to pick up a bit, but it is still very depressed.I gave up the ghost for any sort of airline or aviation job goes.

Well, that did not work out. Sorry about the blank posts.

Anyway, what I wanted to say is this: I am glad that I do not work for the airlines anymore. I got the layoff a year and a half ago from TWA. Now that American Airlines is messing up the works for TWA, I will never see that job again. I am very much pleased with the new job that I found as a Mechanical Tech working on light rail cars. With the airline industry in such turmoil, I have no desire to return to work for the airlines. I have taken my skills to a whole new industry. That is the airline''s loss, not mine.