New Livery Unveiled Aug. 23

732guy

Advanced
Jul 11, 2004
looks like DCA employees are left out!

US Airways and America West to introduce new livery

US Airways and America West Airlines will introduce new aircraft livery for the combined company on Tuesday, Aug. 23.

Employees are invited to join Chairman, President and CEO Doug Parker, and President and CEO Bruce Lakefield as the first plane with the new look, an Airbus A320, makes its inaugural tour.

Events are scheduled in Philadelphia at 7 a.m., Pittsburgh at 9:30 a.m., Charlotte at 12:30 p.m., Las Vegas at 3:45 p.m., and Phoenix at 6:30 p.m. All times are local.

As we celebrate this important milestone, we look back on the 65 years of US Airways history -- and 22 years of America West history -- that make up our companies today and that we will carry forward into the new US Airways.

On Monday, we asked if those of you who worked for Allegheny, PSA or Piedmont, kept your old uniforms. Today we add a follow-up question: Can you still fit into your uniform? If so, congratulations! We need you!

If you have a couple of days off, and would like to be a part of this historic journey, we are looking for employees from the vanguard carriers to volunteer to travel with the newly painted aircraft -- in uniform. That means pilots, flight attendants, gate agents, fleet service, utility and other uniformed employees. US Airways will be represented by the flight crew staffing the flight.

If you are interested, please e-mail your name, original carrier, contact information, and where you reside to [email protected]. We hope you will be willing take a walk down memory lane while flying into the future on Aug. 23.

More details of this event will be provided as the day draws closer.

Flying Titan said:
I wonder if there are airport/slot restrictions keeping them from DCA and LGA.
[post="287819"][/post]​

No restrictions. They could put it on a scheduled flight if they wished.

I can't believe no one has seen the new livery yet, kind of hard to hide a whole airplane, isn't it?? Maybe they checked it through PHL :p

Revolutions said:
I can't believe no one has seen the new livery yet, kind of hard to hide a whole airplane, isn't it?? Maybe they checked it through PHL  :p
[post="287832"][/post]​

Someone needs to check the hangars in PIT and see if they're painting it there. Remember the Kerry/Edwards 757? I believe a forum member nailed that exclusive.

the plane just ferried to be painted, it has to be stripped, prepped and painted, this does not happen overnight.

I CANT WAIT FOR THIS DAY TO COME !!!
you ppl say that its on the US airways hub page ?, ill check on there, also does anyone know where the AWA compass page is at ?
thanks

hp_fa said:
Which U 320 pilot?
[post="287863"][/post]​

More than likely, since this is a ceremonial flight, I wouldn't be surprised to see the flight flown by Captain Bob Skinner, Airbus Fleet Captain.

Not sure if Ed Bular, VP of Flying, or Lyle Hogg, Senior Director Flight Operations are current or qualified to fly this gig.

It is possible that Captain Paul Morrell, Director Flight Training, could be aboard. He might even be wearing his old PSA Captain's uniform.

Special flights such as inagurals or milestones don't usually make it to the rank and file pilots.

It would be nice to see the first merged flight flown by a composite crew of USAirways/America West pilots and flight attendants. Perhaps that is the plan on August 23rd.

Airline merger spawns fashion queries
By The Arizona Republic

It's the perfect case for the fashionistas on the popular cable show What Not to Wear: how to dress the combined America West/US Airways after their merger this fall.

Dress the planes, that is.

The new livery is not up there with weighty issues like seniority and smooth operations, but it's important in branding the new airline that will be called US Airways. It's also a nagging issue with employees. The question of how the planes will be painted has come up repeatedly in the employee merger newsletter and meetings.

Since the America West name is going away, one asked, is there a chance the entire fleet could adopt America West's pearl-white, turquoise and red livery? US Airways' planes are dark blue, which could be a problem in the desert heat.

America West is mum on the topic, saying only that it hopes to unveil something before the deal closes this fall.

Travis Christ, the airline's vice president of marketing, is overseeing the effort.

That hasn't stopped folks from weighing in on Internet message boards. The livery has come up on flyertalk.com, airwise.com and yahoo.com.

"What I heard was the new livery was going to be a desert-friendly color scheme," said one posting on flyertalk.

The recent buzz on Yahoo: The new paint scheme will borrow from both but be completely new, and the US Airways flag will be redesigned.

N924PS said:
It would be nice to see the first merged flight flown by a composite crew of USAirways/America West pilots and flight attendants. Perhaps that is the plan on August 23rd.
[post="287876"][/post]​
That would be a disaster waiting to happen. Please wait until the crews have had a chance to be trained to a common standard.