New Livery

UnitedChicago

Veteran
Aug 27, 2002
www.usaviation.com
This is a bit premature - but kind of a diversionary topic. Once UA emerges - they need a new airplane livery!

While the current livery was in service during the great growth years in the late 90''s and introduction of the 777 - it also represents the dark days of 9/11 and CH11.

So - what kind of design should they go with?? I like the off white - kind of metallic white - of Northwest''s new livery. Should they keep the traditional orange, red, blue cheat line?

It would need to balance image with economics. The current scheme is costly to maintain. From what I''ve read, they need to polish it regularly so the blue doesn''t dull.

Anyway...what are your thoughts? What liveries do you like?

Oh and this should be just a diversion. Can we manage to not get into any pissing matches in the process?! :)

Ive always disliked the UAL livery ... that "U" has been around for so long, the planes look dark and gloomy what with the dark gray and blue. Allthough Im not a fan of the new "NWA" planes, I think United should go for brighter colors. I know they are costly, but I LOVE the US Airways livery. I think their planes look classic and professional. But I agree with you, their livery needs to be refreshed.

I thought United had a new livery on the way? Didnt someone post pictures of this some time ago?

I feel Flight International caught the feel of United''s dark blue and black color scheme -- the "Straight and Level" column always refers to the colors as "the malevolent skies".

I agree it''s time for new colors for UA. For a classic, timeless scheme, I love Iberia''s colors. Plain white with the orange, red, dark red cheat line with the innovative swoop up at the nose -- IB in block on the tail. Introduced in the mid 70s (!) and to my mind, it still looks great. Uniforms and everything are very classy. Pity about the level of service, mind you.

I agree....the current United paint job is awful. Very dark, dull and dingy....very, very English (I believe Landor and Associates of London designed it)looking and probably very expensive to apply and maintain. I don''t mind the "U" emblem...but do it in one color.

I think it is high time they cleaned and brightened up their image. They need to come up with something that is cheaper to apply and looks a whole lot more interesting than that ugly gray and dark blue mess.

I didn''t think anything was wrong with the old livery. The problem is now with Airbus planes made from composites, it is impossible to do a silver finish like AA or the old US livery.

A new livery may be nice; but, it would cost a lot of money to repaint the entire fleet. Money
that is in short supply. Also, at this time, it may adversely affect "Brand Recognition".

----------------
On 6/17/2003 2:02:37 PM ual06 wrote:

A new livery may be nice; but, it would cost a lot of money to repaint the entire fleet. Money
that is in short supply. Also, at this time, it may adversely affect "Brand Recognition".

----------------​
I agree. Lots of $$$ to paint a fleet of aircraft. If I remember right I think it takes about 4 years to paint the whole fleet. That was when we first went to the current color scheme and the fleet was smaller. Although we might be at that size now. I hope that isn''t the new business plan.

I assume it would cost design fees and then they would probably paint 1 or 2 fleet types. But beyond that, the repainting would be done as regular scheduled intervals - when the aircraft would have been repainted regardless.

I dont propose losing the U - that''s a very recognizable part of United''s brand.

----------------
On 6/17/2003 5:19:07 PM UnitedChicago wrote:

I assume it would cost design fees and then they would probably paint 1 or 2 fleet types. But beyond that, the repainting would be done as regular scheduled intervals - when the aircraft would have been repainted regardless.

I dont propose losing the U - that''s a very recognizable part of United''s brand.

----------------​

I agree that repainting would occur when aircraft have their scheduled repainting, making a new paint scheme cost neutral.
In order to make such a project a money saving project, I would suggest lighter paint colors that would be easier to maintain. Look at NWAC''s decision to change their paint scheme; it will be a cost positive project because the current paint scheme is very expensive to maintain.

I also agree on not losing the U ... however, the U could use a facelift.

I never really liked the old livery (the mostly white planes). Like your
car, it always showed the dirt. I do like the paint job on the planes now.
Although if they were going to give it a face-lift, I would like to see an
American flag waving in the breeze starting at the nose and going about
1/5 to 1/4 ways towards the back and then a solid blue (a few shades darker
than a sky-blue) for the rest. The "U" I would like to see in a bright grey
or something similar. And this is why I don''t decorate my house...

I too must agree, that our livery is not all that great. I wouldn''t be surprised that in the next couple of months we see a star alliance livery beginning to roll out. Lufthansa, and Spanair have already begun this process, and even though it says STAR ALLIANCE on the all white aircraft, it still says below Lufthansa and or Spanair. The tail is of course the 5 pointed star. It is the next step in creating a global airline, but keeping each identity seperate.

----------------
On 6/18/2003 10:06:30 AM trollydolly wrote:

I too must agree, that our livery is not all that great. I wouldn''t be surprised that in the next couple of months we see a star alliance livery beginning to roll out. Lufthansa, and Spanair have already begun this process, and even though it says STAR ALLIANCE on the all white aircraft, it still says below Lufthansa and or Spanair. The tail is of course the 5 pointed star. It is the next step in creating a global airline, but keeping each identity seperate.

----------------​

Each *A airline has one (or is it a few; don''t know the exact number) of aircraft in *A colors. Usually some the biggest metal that they fly.
I have it from informed sources that once USAirways has formally joined *, they will paint an RJ-70 in * colors.

I have to admit that I''ve always liked the current United livery, but agree that it is time for an update. A new livery unveiled to coincide with the emergence from bankruptcy protection could signal a "new beginning" for United. At the very least, the font or typeface of the lettering on the planes needs to be changed. A few years ago, the designs of all printed materials including ticket wallets, menus, timetables, and print advertising were updated and made consistent. The style of lettering on "United" was changed to a sans-serif type font, and the word "Airlines" was dropped. Even ground equipment has been repainted in the new style. For some reason, though, the lettering on the planes has not changed (except for some United Shuttle aircraft), and the inconsistency is quite noticeable.

There would be some upfront costs associated with developing a new livery, but most planes would be repainted during their regular maintenance cycle, so the incremental costs would be negligible.

----------------
On 6/18/2003 10:04:46 PM iflyjetz wrote:

----------------
On 6/18/2003 10:06:30 AM trollydolly wrote:

----------------​

Each *A airline has one (or is it a few; don''t know the exact number) of aircraft in *A colors. Usually some the biggest metal that they fly.
I have it from informed sources that once USAirways has formally joined *, they will paint an RJ-70 in * colors.

----------------​
I can''t wait till the end of summer!! You boys are all over chip and Usair, well "The truth hurts, It couldnt happen to better group of folks"

Cheers to your job search!!!!

Latest posts