New Merger Routes

Jan 24, 2011
ok we all know that we are merging. And with this merger there wont be any route cuts. Let make this fun. What new routes would the new AA see out of the US hubs?

I see

CLT-EGE
CLT-OKC (even if US does not get the DCA slot for DCA i still see this)
CLT-TUL

PHL-GRR
PHL-MSN
PHL-TUL
PHL-CID

PHX-TUL
PHX-NRT (4+ years down)
PHX-LHR (mix with BA)
PHX-EGE
PHX-ASE (winter)
PHX-COS( longshot but i still would like to see it)
PHX-MSY

On the flip side we most likly will see new routes out of the AA hubs to some of the US Cities.

MIA-MYR
MIA-CAE
MIA-SAV

DFW-FLG (one a day)
DFW-BFL
DFW-SBA( i know that AA had this flight for a bit but i see this again)

LAX-FLG(AS did this in 07 or 08)
LAX-DRO
LAX-EGE
LAX-COS
LAX-SYD/AKL (i wish this but its a longshot)

Thats just what i came up with.... What would you like to see? please keep on the subject and no drama please :) have a good one and see all of you soon.

If there was actually demand for any of those, don't you think they'd have service already?...

FLG is a very tiny market. Same with DRO, CID, MYR, SAV...

AKL is relatively tiny as well. SYD? There's a JV with Qantas, so why jump in? BA's already serving PHX-LHR.

PHX-NRT? Again, if there was demand, JL or NH would be flying it. They're not, and there's ample service out of LAX.

This is the network you asked for --- if you're not going to leverage the connections available over existing hubs to fly to relatively tiny local markets ( 500,000 population in the catchment area), then why merge in the first place?

If I had to pick areas to expand & grow in, it would be areas where UA was feeding US and v.v., or where AA has been relying on B6 or AS:

* Upstate NY/PA to ORD -- legacy US was a lot more powerful in that region 15 years ago, and both AA & UA pulled out a lot of service which was then flowing over PIT, PHL and LGA on US.

* Upper midwest/mountain states -- places like BOI, RAP, CYS, JAC which were flowing on UA over DEN...

* Alaska Airlines territory up and down the coast... ALK is a great airline, but they'll go home with anyone who buys them a beer or two. If DL makes a move to bring them closer (which has long been inferred and rumored), AA loses all that connectivity. Likewise if ALK and JBLU decide to merge (also rumored).

Reactions: 1 person
http://blogs.star-telegram.com/files/the-new-american-apa-clean-final-1.pdf

I suspect Parker will maintain the growth schedule AA had planned prior to the merger.

Hard to envision anything significant for PHL and CLT other than Alliance hub swaps.

I said in a previous post, And I still believe it makes sense.

A morning PHL - LHR flight. Only major east coast city not to have a morning depature. Though BA may take that honor through our OW partnership.

Also I see adding ORD - PHL to the shuttle market. Hourly service, much like what exists for BOS - PHL.

CLE to close to ORD.
PHL to close to JFK/LGA/EWR
CLT to close to MIA and DFW
PHX to close to DFW

So which hubs will be dehubbed and continue in a smaller scale?

CLE to close to ORD.
PHL to close to JFK/LGA/EWR
CLT to close to MIA and DFW
PHX to close to DFW

So which hubs will be dehubbed and continue in a smaller scale?
How much are we going to beat this topic to death?
Not to sure why you threw CLE into the mix either, maybe you have US confused with UA? But if that's not the case, I must inform you that US doesn't have a Hub there.

you also have to consider what routes from PHL might not work any longer if US is not part of Star. CO dropped several routes related to Skyteam strength and then added others that were to Star hubs.
You can expect some of the same w/ the new AA; one opportunity is more secondary cities in the UK.

I don't see any issues with PHL involving the loss of Star.
Please explain your thoughts on that comment. To the best of my knowledge, US flies everywhere out of PHL that UA & LH do.

I don't see any issues with PHL involving the loss of Star.
Please explain your thoughts on that comment. To the best of my knowledge, US flies everywhere out of PHL that UA & LH do.

I agree with Dr. WT -- once they shift alliances, you can't depend on the feed from LH at the other end, nor can you count on Star Alliance FQTV's choosing you over a Star partner.

So, it would make sense to shift some of that capacity to the BA, IB, and AB hubs, and the rest into secondary cities where there might still be enough of a local market, yet doesn't duplicate and cause dilution into stronger hubs.

That would be smart -- essentially a kite pattern with ORD, LGA, DCA, and BOS.

some analysts think AA/US will pare several percent worth of capacity which is exactly what other airlines have done thru mergers.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-14/airline-pricing-power-buoyed-as-amr-merger-may-pare-seats-3-9-.html