New Part Time Ramp Agent Hired Off The Street

FLYUSAIRWAYS

Advanced
Feb 21, 2004
Our station just hired a new part time ramp agent off the street. The interview process was very intense, and several applicants tried their best to influence our station manager. It seems that everyone wants a job where they can fly for free. The best man was finally chosen for the positon. He was issued uniforms, had his physical, and background check, airport ID, and all the other usual formalities that go along with working for a MAJOR airline. He showed up for his first day at work this week, to start his first 4 hr shift at Usairways. At the end of his first day on the job, he has earned a whopping $28.00. When his shift was nearing its end, for some reason he decided that it wasn't all, it's cracked up to be. HE QUIT. I guess getting up at 3AM to earn $28.00 for 4 hours is not such a good idea. Believe it or not, this is a true story. The plot thickens.

This is happening all over the place. In the past when you had a decent wage to look forward to, it was worth putting up with the crap for a while. Now you can put in 10 years to reach the Top at $12.....

What an ungrateful wretch! Unwilling to risk back injuries and face all kinds of weather outdoors for $7/hr! I suppose he thinks that working at MacDonald's full-time in-doors--and all you have to know is Ya want fries with that?--for $8/hr is better.

That's the trouble with these young whippersnappers. Think they should make a living wage right off the bat! What's next? Affordable benefits? :shock:

coachrowsey said:
It will just be a revolving door.
[post="197703"][/post]​

Only one question...with this being the future of USAirways , how long will it revolve with people staying for a 4 hour shift for peanut wages , then walking away when they find out what a tough gig it can be?

Dedication to a job is directly linked to the rewards that come with it...when the rewards are nothing...the results are going to be next to nothing as well.

Many can complain about U...but by and large they can't complain to much about what the workers themselves provide.

$7/hour? I was making $7/hour at 20 years old on a summer job in 1971 as a warehouseman! (It was a Teamster shop and I did have to get a temporary membership, but it was nominal.)

I never will understand the "fly for free" crap. You can never get on an airplane that goes anywhere fun unless you can sit around for days hoping to get out, and sit around again for days hoping you can get home for that all-important $7/hour job.

Light Years said:
Welcome to the United States of Wal-Mart.
[post="197699"][/post]​

Wal Mart pays more, has better benefits and will be around this time next year :D

Know a station that has had several part-time openings for several months. Can't seem to get applicants who will take the job that can pass background/drug tests. If they do pass tests/background/etc , when they find out the pay and hours...THEY BACK OUT! In the agent catagory....YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! (don't know about other departments)

Good to hear all about those high paying jobs that "W" has created in the last four years. He's right, the economy is rebust!!! "Things to look forward to when this place goes ti_s up!!

I bet all the employees were telling him how nice things are and how happy they are to work there and all huh? WOuld your first day on the job be so good with all the negatives you would hear and see?
Do you think that the environment had anything to do with it? :blink:

I expected that response...your right about the two to pick from. I do believe the Oval office could atleast TRY to do something about the price of crude or atleast release so of the fuel reserve that is stored at a lower price to be paid back down the road....I understand there is at least five years of fuel stored fo emergency useage. We have used this reserve years ago...why won't "W" approve it now or atleast take a look at whats's going on with this industry. THIS IS NOT ONLY U...it's all the carriers. Yes, the Oval office is not U's problem or responsible for them...but there are problems in all the carriers....DAL...AMR...U...UAL...CAL...maybe the Oval office SHOULD look at what is going on or they are going to LOSE a lot of HIGHER paying jobs. Or, don't they care...there in for another four!!!! See the grin on "W" face all the time...family's in the oil business..........I know "W" has no control on what comes out of the sand....but I bet he's not rollong back his profit within his little dynasty!!!!