NEW RECALL #'S TO BE ANNOUNCED...

flyguy121

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
They've done it again! In true US Airways fashion, the Company issues a Press Release stating 400 flight attendants will be recalled, and a month later reduce that # by a third.

I just received the following e-mail from Mike Flores:

####,

Since the Company announced 400 recalls for June they have changed that number significantly several times. The final recall number came out today. They will be recalling 200 Flight Attendants in June and 80 in August. They "expect" to recall an additional 230 in December. Recall notices will be going out this week. I was hesitant to put out any Elines until the numbers were firm and the recall notices actually go out. I will be putting the information out tomorrow.

Regards,

Mike

Mike Flores

Honestly, I don't know why I am even SURPRISED or UPSET over what this Company does anymore since they've NEVER handled matters well in which the Involuntary Furloughs were concerned! Old Management or New, it's ALWAYS more of the same! They DON'T CARE what they have put their most Junior Employees through (First Termination after 9/11 for not finishing Probation, followed by discussion of Recalls and growth that didn't happen, followed by the MAA debacle and it just continues)!!! If the company cannot keep their word, then DON'T ISSUE A PRESS RELEASE! They don't care how many lives are disrupted, how many people they disappoint, or how many times they go back on their word. If the #'s are that uncertain, or they cannot keep their word, they need to say so. They DO NOT need to issue a Press Release only to rescind the #'s a month later...

When the first round of Training Classes were started on the "West" side, former "East" Employees were upset that the company held this information before they went to training.

When the SECOND round of letters went out, the letter included a statement to make an informed decision before bidding a training class since this would be the final opportunity to bid a "West" Training Class because US East would be recalling 400 for the summer! Now that # has been reduced to 200 for June and 80 for August! Has the company thought for a moment that perhaps more would have taken that second bid for a "West" Training Class had they known the # of Recalls would be reduced again??!! God FORBID we rely on what the company tell us before making such critical decisions with our lives!

On a side note, I will say this for Mike Flores, I e-mailed him this afternoon and received his response above only a few hours later. Thank you Mike for the timely response and please stand firm in negotiations. GIVE THEM HELL FOR THIS!

Geez can't you be happy that there are even any recalls.

Tell me flyingcat - Have you ever been furloughed? If so, how long? Your remark is highly insensitive to those who have been made to feel like an insignificant afterthought since 9/11.

Sure, Recalls are great news - if it's YOU who will be recalled! This information comes only a month after the company announced 400 would return this Summer, that number has now been reduced by 120. If you are at the bottom of the list of 1693 names, your chance of getting recalled this Summer just became much less likely.

Your remark is typical, "It doesn't affect me, why should I care"? The bottom line is, it's IRRESPONSIBLE for the company to release a # of people for recall, just to significantly reduce that # only a month later. But again, why should you care if it doesn't negatively impact YOUR LIFE?! :angry: :down:

Well, not sure now if i will be recalled. My hopes were high and now..well..I feel real sad...and mad that they would do this to us. There were f/a that had a class date at west and they recinded it...they may not get recalled now. I would like to know why? Why would they do this? This company never does anything right.

Tell me flyingcat - Have you ever been furloughed? If so, how long? Your remark is highly insensitive to those who have been made to feel like an insignificant afterthought since 9/11.

Sure, Recalls are great news - if it's YOU who will be recalled! This information comes only a month after the company announced 400 would return this Summer, that number has now been reduced by 120. If you are at the bottom of the list of 1693 names, your chance of getting recalled this Summer just became much less likely.

Your remark is typical, "It doesn't affect me, why should I care"? The bottom line is, it's IRRESPONSIBLE for the company to release a # of people for recall, just to significantly reduce that # only a month later. But again, why should you care if it doesn't negatively impact YOUR LIFE?! :angry: :down:

I seem to remember a recent thread where you derided all of your co-workers who got even more burned in the Embraer 170 situation and the PHX situation. You told them they were whiners, they made the decision to return to the company, they knew what they were getting into... you had no sympathy for them. You told them they are free to go to UA or CO. Your remarks were incredibly insensitive and stung people even more coming from someone who is supposed to be "one of thier own."

There was another post when this recall was first announced where your co-workers who took the PHX recall were upset and wondering what to do. You told them they "made thier choice" and shouldn't cry about it now, the company didn't have to offer them a PHX position at all. Let me ask you, were you involved in the "recall but not really" to MidAtlantic, or the "recall but not really" to America West? It doesn't appear so, but you criticized those people, so it's surprising to see you on here having a tantrum.

I feel for the US furloughess, they have been horribly mistreated over and over, but why did you feel that those who were recalled and furloughed again were whiners, but you have liscense to be such a cryass about this? Just wondering, seriously. I guess your right- it only matters if it's about YOU.

I feel for the US furloughess, they have been horribly mistreated over and over, but why did you feel that those who were recalled and furloughed again were whiners, but you have liscense to be such a cryass about this? Just wondering, seriously. I guess your right- it only matters if it's about YOU.

FlyOnWall - Your recollection of previous posts while interesting, is not completely accurate, and while the topics are similar, the point being made is not the same.

First of all, the word "whiners" was your word and not mine. If that is how you choose to condense my words then have at it.

You are correct, I passed on both MAA and America West because I did not find either to be conducive to my life, but many around my Seniority accepted these positions.

What you are referring to in the case of MAA was the thread about that ridiculous lawsuit, to which my condensed response was, "you knew what you were signing on for when you said yes to MAA, but were unhappy with the outcome."

Likewise, in the case of the America West Training Classes, my point was, "you knew beforehand that recalls to the East were a possibility but you accepted a class anyway." Furthermore, these folks were given the opportunity to leave if they chose, so they were not "stuck".

In a nutshell, my points in both of these scenarios was to "take ownership of your choices and don't blame others for them".

The difference here is that the company made a PUBLIC STATEMENT and issued a Press Release saying that 400 were being recalled to the East. They even amended the second and final America West Training Bid Form to say, "As you make your decision about whether to bid one of these America West training classes, it is important for you to be aware that US Airways has announced a recall to the east of 400 flight attendants for June 2006. Additional details on those recalls will be mailed to furloughed flight attendants in mid-April." This very statement may have caused others to forego a "West" Training Class on the presumption that they would likely be among the 400 number.

Since the company is calling all the shots here, it's clearly out of any of our hands. Therefore, it's not the same as making a choice and then not being happy with that choice later.

Make no mistake, I have a tremendous amount of respect and compassion for what junior folks like myself have been through whether employed in the airline sector or not these last 5 years, but I do fully believe in taking responsibility and ownership of your own personal decisions.

In closing, if you have some bizarre axe to grind by labeling me a "cryass" (as you so eloquently put it) then so be it. I think EVERY furloughee has the right to be furious about this, and I for one will not be quiet about this one. :angry:

Well . . this is a business. You don't hire or recall more people than you think you need. That's a waste of money and it's how companies go bankrupt! Yeah, yeah, the executives could take lower salaries, allowing more money to hire more people--but it's STILL a waste of money if you don't need the staff!

i am really sorry to here about this. hopefully they will go through the 200 hundred or so they need and the people who want to come back will. personaly, i think that they will need to hire off the street. good luck guys. especially you christine. i am thinking of you.

They've done it again! In true US Airways fashion, the Company issues a Press Release stating 400 flight attendants will be recalled, and a month later reduce that # by a third.

####,

Since the Company announced 400 recalls for June they have changed that number significantly several times. The final recall number came out today. They will be recalling 200 Flight Attendants in June and 80 in August. They "expect" to recall an additional 230 in December. Recall notices will be going out this week. I was hesitant to put out any Elines until the numbers were firm and the recall notices actually go out. I will be putting the information out tomorrow.

Regards,

Mike

Mike Flores
Honestly, I don't know why I am even SURPRISED or UPSET over what this Company does anymore since they've NEVER handled matters well in which the Involuntary Furloughs were concerned! Old Management or New, it's ALWAYS more of the same! They DON'T CARE what they have put their most Junior Employees through (First Termination after 9/11 for not finishing Probation, followed by discussion of Recalls and growth that didn't happen, followed by the MAA debacle and it just continues)!!! If the company cannot keep their word, then DON'T ISSUE A PRESS RELEASE! They don't care how many lives are disrupted, how many people they disappoint, or how many times they go back on their word. If the #'s are that uncertain, or they cannot keep their word, they need to say so. They DO NOT need to issue a Press Release only to rescind the #'s a month later...

When the first round of Training Classes were started on the "West" side, former "East" Employees were upset that the company held this information before they went to training.

When the SECOND round of letters went out, the letter included a statement to make an informed decision before bidding a training class since this would be the final opportunity to bid a "West" Training Class because US East would be recalling 400 for the summer! Now that # has been reduced to 200 for June and 80 for August! Has the company thought for a moment that perhaps more would have taken that second bid for a "West" Training Class had they known the # of Recalls would be reduced again??!! God FORBID we rely on what the company tell us before making such critical decisions with our lives!

On a side note, I will say this for Mike Flores, I e-mailed him this afternoon and received his response above only a few hours later. Thank you Mike for the timely response and please stand firm in negotiations. GIVE THEM HELL FOR THIS!
Not surprised at all. after 18 yrs as fsa with my last location in PHX..having hemenway and crellin as well as parker and his gang lie and cheat us,,,,after all of our sacrficies nothing surprises me ,,we have been waiting 1 yr come May for some resolution to our recall to our jobs that Hp emps have been working the latest kick is crellin receiving 1 mil to replace his pension..gee I wonder if my ck is in the mail for the pension that was frozen in 89 qq

FlyOnWall - Your recollection of previous posts while interesting, is not completely accurate, and while the topics are similar, the point being made is not the same.

First of all, the word "whiners" was your word and not mine. If that is how you choose to condense my words then have at it.

You are correct, I passed on both MAA and America West because I did not find either to be conducive to my life, but many around my Seniority accepted these positions.

What you are referring to in the case of MAA was the thread about that ridiculous lawsuit, to which my condensed response was, "you knew what you were signing on for when you said yes to MAA, but were unhappy with the outcome."

Likewise, in the case of the America West Training Classes, my point was, "you knew beforehand that recalls to the East were a possibility but you accepted a class anyway." Furthermore, these folks were given the opportunity to leave if they chose, so they were not "stuck".

In a nutshell, my points in both of these scenarios was to "take ownership of your choices and don't blame others for them".

The difference here is that the company made a PUBLIC STATEMENT and issued a Press Release saying that 400 were being recalled to the East. They even amended the second and final America West Training Bid Form to say, "As you make your decision about whether to bid one of these America West training classes, it is important for you to be aware that US Airways has announced a recall to the east of 400 flight attendants for June 2006. Additional details on those recalls will be mailed to furloughed flight attendants in mid-April." This very statement may have caused others to forego a "West" Training Class on the presumption that they would likely be among the 400 number.

Since the company is calling all the shots here, it's clearly out of any of our hands. Therefore, it's not the same as making a choice and then not being happy with that choice later.

Make no mistake, I have a tremendous amount of respect and compassion for what junior folks like myself have been through whether employed in the airline sector or not these last 5 years, but I do fully believe in taking responsibility and ownership of your own personal decisions.

In closing, if you have some bizarre axe to grind by labeling me a "cryass" (as you so eloquently put it) then so be it. I think EVERY furloughee has the right to be furious about this, and I for one will not be quiet about this one. :angry:

I aplologize. There was no need to call names. I just know that your post was really hurtful to alot of people in PHX, and now you are upset about something that affects thousands, and quite honestly, is not as bad as other things the furlougheds have been though. But you could take your advice, of "you KNEW" this that or the other. You KNEW the company was shady when it comes to recalls, and you KNEW that your feelings, family, pr plans mean NOTHING to the company.

####,

Regards,

Mike

Is it me or do those numbers add up to more than 400 being recalled? Honestly, it makes more sense to spread the recalls out because that's a lot of people to place on the property this summer just to add 3 new T/A flights...makes no sense. With the displacements coming into PHL, the transfers coming into PHL, and an already overstaffed base of PHL, none of this makes sense anyway. Unless they are sending the recalls to LGA. I would caution the recalls to carefully consider this decision, the new reserve system is not user friendly and if you're not living in base it can be expensive to sit around in hotels and crash pads while on duty. Does anybody out there know why all of a sudden we need so many F/A's....the airline really isn't growing? :huh:

Actually the total is 510 but then again the truth is never popular. Now the worry is that we are recalling too much.

This whole thing is as popular as asking your ex wife to move back in after the divorce is final. :rolleyes:

Not to be insensitive, but the airline industry is volitale. It always has been. Sometimes there is no fairness to it. In the Seventies it was fuel prices. In the Eighties it was expansion. And since 2001, you know what happened. To say the most junior F/A is to be pampered with job security is ludicris. Some of us have been through all of this. Saying Boo Hoo, will not get a reaction from me. It is unfortunate that the junior F/A's have been, to put it politely, mis-handled is an understatement. However, like all companies, the most junior employee's are the ones that take the brunt of these actions. If you, as a junior F/A, feel the world owes you something then you are sadly mistaken. Don't pin all your hopes and dreams on what could happen. Live your life as you see fit, but don't expect the world to owe you.