New Regional Hub in Cologne, Germany?

PHX Flyer

Sep 23, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
www.usaviation.com
A German aviation periodical (FlugRevue) reports that FedEx has inked a deal with the CGN airport authority to build a new 500,000 sq ft sorting facility, opening in 2010, (literally) just a stone's throw from Big Brown's European hub operation. I haven't come across an official announcement from FedEx yet, but given that CGN already appeared on their radar screen, when they launched a nonstop service between CGN and MEM last year, it's not entirely implausible. Growth opportunities in CDG and FRA are fairly limited by slot restrictions. Besides, DHL plans to consolidate the current BRU and CGN operations at a new facility in Leipzig by the end of this year This would open a window of opportunity for a newcomer in CGN.
Can anyone here confirm this report?

Can anyone here confirm this report?

I can neither confirm nor deny any of your report :p
BUT……it would make sense……wouldn’t it?
FDX knows they need to take on DHL and that would be
one way of doing it.

:eek:
Now that is an intelligant answer

My apologies Brown, I didn’t mean that to come across as offensive. We can choose the company we work for (and move on to the next when things go bad) but we can’t choose our employers marketing ads. FedEx had one for a while that said “Better late than neverâ€￾. I can only imagine they fired that dude. Anyway, I can’t think of a single airline that hasn’t been the but of a joke weather it is by the companies name or slogan.
PHX Flyer, I can only take the logical approach and say that it would be good for FDX to take that slot due to market leveraging.
One last thing, try to keep a good sense of humor, in our industry it seems that’s all we have. Trust me, I just lost my retirement.
Regards,
speedbrake

My apologies Brown, I didn’t mean that to come across as offensive. We can choose the company we work for (and move on to the next when things go bad) but we can’t choose our employers marketing ads. FedEx had one for a while that said “Better late than neverâ€￾. I can only imagine they fired that dude. Anyway, I can’t think of a single airline that hasn’t been the but of a joke weather it is by the companies name or slogan.
PHX Flyer, I can only take the logical approach and say that it would be good for FDX to take that slot due to market leveraging.
One last thing, try to keep a good sense of humor, in our industry it seems that’s all we have. Trust me, I just lost my retirement.
Regards,
speedbrake
I hear you, no offense taken. I also lost my pension after 16 years with U. Now I have been with Brown a couple of years and it great knowing I might have a little retirement. Thanks for the expl. Trust me I don't bleed brown, I was also just curios of the marketing at Cologne, I have been there a few times fixing our MD11, pretty quiet boring area, however that is what our company's love, being able to fly in and out 24/7. Anyway take care

I hear you, no offense taken. I also lost my pension after 16 years with U. Now I have been with Brown a couple of years and it great knowing I might have a little retirement. Thanks for the expl. Trust me I don't bleed brown, I was also just curios of the marketing at Cologne, I have been there a few times fixing our MD11, pretty quiet boring area, however that is what our company's love, being able to fly in and out 24/7. Anyway take care

Hi there brown,
Sad to here you were a victim of "U". Was it possible that you were there when Greg Hall was around? We have him now and everybody has that feeling of "the fox is in the hen house". It's obvious though that FDX went after him since he was hired so fast. Actually before the last VP had retired.
It's also a shame what happened to all the mech's at U. I remember back when it seemed like such a good thing over there. It was an employee owned company and the employees had a financial stake, well how very sad how that turned out. I feel for you.
How do you like working on the Mad Dog? Too bad ups only has the prat's, there a good engine but the ge version is SOOOOOO much friendlier for the mx. How do you like opening #2 cowling doing the death reach with the 1/4" ratchet? We have MD's from just about every carrier that dumped them and so far the worst reliability has to go to the ex delta's. Nothing against the delta mech's since it's obvious the powers of delta knew they would be getting rid of them and scaled back the mx, but man those things are taking there toll on us. Believe it or not, the MD-10 is just about the most reliable acft we have and it's really just a DC-10 with a brain. If you have access to a fedex ramp that gets MD-10's you should go over there and check it out, it's a trip to say the least, but it works and really well.
Take care,
speedbrake

Hi there brown,
Sad to here you were a victim of "U". Was it possible that you were there when Greg Hall was around? We have him now and everybody has that feeling of "the fox is in the hen house". It's obvious though that FDX went after him since he was hired so fast. Actually before the last VP had retired.
It's also a shame what happened to all the mech's at U. I remember back when it seemed like such a good thing over there. It was an employee owned company and the employees had a financial stake, well how very sad how that turned out. I feel for you.
How do you like working on the Mad Dog? Too bad ups only has the prat's, there a good engine but the ge version is SOOOOOO much friendlier for the mx. How do you like opening #2 cowling doing the death reach with the 1/4" ratchet? We have MD's from just about every carrier that dumped them and so far the worst reliability has to go to the ex delta's. Nothing against the delta mech's since it's obvious the powers of delta knew they would be getting rid of them and scaled back the mx, but man those things are taking there toll on us. Believe it or not, the MD-10 is just about the most reliable acft we have and it's really just a DC-10 with a brain. If you have access to a fedex ramp that gets MD-10's you should go over there and check it out, it's a trip to say the least, but it works and really well.
Take care,
speedbrake

hi speedbrake,
you're right, the 520 series are shitty, i'm sure delta was happy to get rid of them. the only good thing on pratts, never oilservice and no eng loop problems, and that's all, i forgot one, no highspeed tape on the fancowls.
have a good time you all

hi speedbrake,
you're right, the 520 series are shitty, i'm sure delta was happy to get rid of them. the only good thing on pratts, never oilservice and no eng loop problems, and that's all, i forgot one, no highspeed tape on the fancowls.
have a good time you all

ced!!!
How goes it dude! Good to see your still trolling the site periodically like me. :p
Did you see I made a new friend? His name is brown. He's really cool, you'll like him.
Back to the 520 bashing. In the past month we have had to change two eng driven hyd pumps, two hyd pump case drain filters, one eng driven hyd bypass valve, hsc, replace a blown center gear hyd brake line, swedge a new hard line for a reverser since it failed (that was a really messy one)
Keep in mind that was all on the same acft in less than a month and that's the only ATA I'm mentioning, as you know the list goes on and on and on......
As far as the fire loops, you pegged that one! Maybe putting them on the tr's was a good idea after all? Ringing out responders on ge's gets old, but at least I don't get that "oh crap" feeling when I see ge's pulling into the gate :D
Ok ced, catch ya later...........

Now it's almost official; the "big announcement" will come Monday, August 6.
The German issue of the Financial Times reports today that the company's German headquarters will be relocated from Frankfurt to Cologne. Over a period of three years most flights will be transferred to CGN. The new CGN hub will be used for expansion into Central and Eastern Europe. Eventually even some CDG traffic may be routed through CGN.

Link here

Hi there brown,
Take care,
speedbrake
Hey Speedbrake, i know what you mean about Ex Delta's MD's, horrible...But the worst by far is Varig's...i don't know if you have any but if not be happy...You could imagine the crap down in the jungle. As far as the Pratt's we have about half that are GE's which is nice...One advantage to our pratts, TR's open up automatically...NICE no having to get an old oily pump. We also have dispatch probs with ours, when a 40 year old DC8 has better reliability than a MD there is something wrong ha? (LOL) anyway take care.

Hey Speedbrake, i know what you mean about Ex Delta's MD's, horrible...But the worst by far is Varig's...i don't know if you have any but if not be happy...You could imagine the crap down in the jungle. As far as the Pratt's we have about half that are GE's which is nice...One advantage to our pratts, TR's open up automatically...NICE no having to get an old oily pump. We also have dispatch probs with ours, when a 40 year old DC8 has better reliability than a MD there is something wrong ha? (LOL) anyway take care.

fx ex varig md11's, n574,575,576fe, all ge's. not too bad

There are now strong rumours of new FedEx MD-11 flights from both GLA and MAN. Anyone able to confirm these?

Gaz