new routes

drrstrav

Advanced
Nov 11, 2005
I would like to get some help, re: finding which new cities are the company requested to fly in. I am interested, if we will fly to Panama City, Panama and which are the new cities in Europe.

I would like to get some help, re: finding which new cities are the company requested to fly in. I am interested, if we will fly to Panama City, Panama and which are the new cities in Europe.
I have no idea about Panama City .
The new requests which I saw on DOT are
Buenos Aires , Montevideo ,Taipei , Hong Kong .
Pilots got letter where stated that we are getting few planes from AIR CANADA ( A340-300 ) and most probably will start 2 new flight PHX-FRA and PHL-TLV .I guess in 2008 ???

Pilots got letter where stated that we are getting few planes from AIR CANADA ( A340-300 ) and most probably will start 2 new flight PHX-FRA and PHL-TLV .I guess in 2008 ???

so its not going to be a A340-500 =(

The DOT dockets that you refer to are associated with the UA code share. They are not applications for US to fly the routes. The only firm new routes are from PHL to Athens, Brussels and Zurich - all starting this spring/summer. Further expansion to Europe in 2008 is thought to consider Tel Aviv, Moscow and a few 2nd tier cities. US also plans to file for authority to fly to China in 2008; however that will be a competitive situation with most/all of the Legacies, except for UA bidding for a route. IF the AC aircraft are acquired, or any other A340 or 777LRs from any source, they would be intended for use on the China routes, if awarded. Wasting an A340 on PHX-FRA is somewhat absurd. Even using it as an interim route prior to the March 2008 China startup, doesn't seem logical. An Asian "proving" route to support the (China) application would make much more sense. PHX-FRA will likely wait for the A330-200, scheduled to start deliveries in 2009. Originally Parker wanted to wait for the A350 before PHX was offered overseas services and so stated several times. I assume he has now changed his mind because of the revised delivery date (2014) of that aircraft. Also, I believe US still has not signed on as a commited Buyer (for the A350XWB).

The pilots have NOT received any sort of notification that A340's are coming to us from Air Canada. Besides, the pilots get this type of information at the exact same moment that the entire planet receives it: via company press release.

Wouldn't it be nice to see many of the destinations in Mexico (12 in all) be mirrored out of CLT to match the service out of PHX? I know there is governmental approvals and all the red tape involved but it sure would help for people East of the olde Mississippi River to NOT have to fly all the way to PHX to hitch a ride South of the Border. Also, service thru out Central America should be considered....Honduras,Nicaragua and back to ElSalvador and Panama. Their are several destinations in the Caribbean that should be looked at as well- Curacao, Martinique, Trinidad (at least seasonally). Let's HOPE!

US Airways flew to Panama City from Fort Lauderdale for about a month back in early 2005. The service never had the opportunity to succeed, as the service was dumped not long after it started (although the loads were decent from the outset).

It was part of the new mega-international FLL hub, that was, like everything else, launched without any forethought to operations issues. Like, operating a "hub" at an airport with only one jet runway, and scheduling several flights to arrive at the same time and offload hundreds of passengers into a tiny little Customs area. (At times the Customs line stretched back into the jetways of the arriving flights.)

Can't blame Tempe for that one, though. That was one of the Crystal Palace's swan-song blunders.