New summer routes PHL-YHZ CLT-SJD CLT-PVR

AirbusA310

Aug 19, 2009
US Airways to start Phila.-Halifax route

US Airways Group today announced a new nonstop route from Philadelphia to Halifax, Nova Scotia, beginning June 1.

US Airways Express partner Air Wisconsin will fly three round-trip flights a day on the route, which is 692 nautical miles, using a 50-seat Bombardier CRJ-200 regional jet.

US Airways also announced three new nonstop routes, from its hub in Charlotte, to Ottawa, Canada, beginning May 31; and to Los Cabos and Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, starting June 5.

The four routes will operate year-round.

Halifax 3x daily really now....wonder how long it will last at that frequency. Good to see more international flights from charlotte to mexican vacation destinations.

Halifax 3x daily really now....wonder how long it will last at that frequency. Good to see more international flights from charlotte to mexican vacation destinations.
I was wondering why US didn't jump into this market years ago. CO is basically the only US carrier.

US Airways to start Phila.-Halifax route

US Airways Group today announced a new nonstop route from Philadelphia to Halifax, Nova Scotia, beginning June 1.

US Airways Express partner Air Wisconsin will fly three round-trip flights a day on the route, which is 692 nautical miles, using a 50-seat Bombardier CRJ-200 regional jet.

US Airways also announced three new nonstop routes, from its hub in Charlotte, to Ottawa, Canada, beginning May 31; and to Los Cabos and Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, starting June 5.

The four routes will operate year-round.

Actual year round flights? Greats news. Hopefully, we'll see more flights to Atlantic Canada. The CLT - Mexico flights are a good addition as well.

Hey everyone, I know that I like to pick on "the airline we love to hate" as much as many on this board, but let's try to keep thread positive, OK?

Whats so odd about 3x frequencies?, I guess if it were from Charlotte you would think its great.
There is fixed expense with operating a station and one 50 seat RJ wont produce enough revenue to offset the expense of the station

There is fixed expense with operating a station

Far from it. You don't honestly believe that US (or any carrier for that matter) spends as much to operate at an airport where someone is contracted to do most/all of the handling for a few flights a day (being paid per flight) as somewhere like CLT with all the personnel and facilities to operate 400+ flights a day? Three flights per day isn't enough to pay people to sit around most of the day to work 3 hours or so and have dedicated gates, etc. So US will pay somebody (Jazz, AC, whoever) on a per flight basis and at most have a full time station manager and maybe one or two other full time US personnel.

Jim

Far from it. You don't honestly believe that US (or any carrier for that matter) spends as much to operate at an airport where someone is contracted to do most/all of the handling for a few flights a day (being paid per flight) as somewhere like CLT with all the personnel and facilities to operate 400+ flights a day? Three flights per day isn't enough to pay people to sit around most of the day to work 3 hours or so and have dedicated gates, etc. So US will pay somebody (Jazz, AC, whoever) on a per flight basis and at most have a full time station manager and maybe one or two other full time US personnel.

Jim
Agreed but there is still fixed expense, Ground handling, Ticketing, etc.- regardless of who handles it.

To a degree. The cost of ticketing depends on how many people you ticket at that station (credit card fees, personnel, kiosks, whatever). The cost of ground handling depends on the cost of the people who do it.

But even if you assume that those are the same, the cost of certain functions being identical doesn't mean that the total cost of operating each station are the same. You might as well say that the cost of operating an airline is the same no matter whether you're talking about DL or Piedmont.

Jim

Whats so odd about 3x frequencies?, I guess if it were from Charlotte you would think its great.

I think 3x daily will be fine in the summer; it might be a little too much in the winter though they haven't said that they would maintain 3x daily year-round, just that they would maintain the route year-round.

I've always thought that YHZ and YQB would make sense from PHL; perhaps they will look at PHL-YQB in the near future. Both see similar amounts of flights to the US, though YQB is actually a tad less since neither DL or AA fly from NYC-YQB. The only problem YQB presents that YHZ does not is that YQB doesn't have US pre-clearance facilities so the flight would have to arrive at A-west in PHL.

Latest posts