New United North American Routes

Cosmo

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
CHICAGO, March 8 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- United today announced 15 new North American routes for customers in time for summer travel. Seven of these new destinations will be served by United Express®' regional jet service, explus(SM), which offers the most premium seats of any regional jet carrier, including the amenities of United First® and the extra legroom of Economy Plus®. Tickets go on sale this week.

The routes provide new or additional service to Vancouver, British Columbia; Halifax, Nova Scotia; Toronto, Ontario; St. George, Bermuda; Honolulu; Idaho Falls and Boise, Idaho; Bozeman, Missoula and Billings, Mo.; Cincinnati, Ohio; Redmond, Ore.; and Jackson Hole, Wyo.

United Press Release issued this afternoon.

I'm curious to see how RDM-DEN does. For such a small city (albeit one with a decent sized catchment area) it sure has a relatively high amount of service to "big cities."

If I'm not mistaken, you can fly to PDX,SEA,SFO,LAX (starting soon?), and now weekend seasonal to DEN.

P.S. It also strikes me as funny that it's service between to snow cities (Mt Bachelor is close by to RDM, and obviously the Rockies are close to DEN), but that's just me....

I was surprised to see SAN-HNL and SEA-HNL. Lower yield runs would not be my way of turning around UA.
My guess is that UA knows they have pretty good frequent flyer loyalty in those two cities. SEA used to be the #6 domestic station, perhaps it still is.

UA certainly has data on how many customers they have that are willing to fly UA and connect in SFO or LAX to HNL who start out in SEA/SAN. I guess UA thinks there is a big enough market to run nonstops on the weekends.

I was surprised to see SAN-HNL and SEA-HNL. Lower yield runs would not be my way of turning around UA. just my thoughts.......

It's seasonal weekend service. Probably using aircraft on Saturdays that might otherwise sit around idle or flying nearly empty.

I was surprised to see SAN-HNL and SEA-HNL. Lower yield runs would not be my way of turning around UA. just my thoughts.......
It wouldn't surprise me if this service is related to United's contract with Pleasant Hawaiian Holidays.

The flights are 757-200s. Here is the Saturday only schedule:
United Airlines 1051 4:15 pm depart SEA
7:13 pm arrive HNL stops: Non-stop
United Airlines 1050 9:50 pm depart HNL
6:30 am arrive SEA stops: Non-stop

United Airlines 1057 6:00 pm depart SAN
8:56 pm arrive HNL stops: Non-stop
United Airlines 1058 10:40 pm depart HNL
7:05 am arrive SAN stops: Non-stop

I priced out coach fares; they're just over $700 RT. So not only is United using aircraft which would probably be sitting idle, they're charging a fairly hefty ticket price.
This will also allow United the chance to retoute some Honolulu traffic through SEA and SAN.