New US cities

curious1

Aug 5, 2009
According a press release by US on this DL/US gates swap US will be starting service to GRR & MSN. US currently doesn't even serve these cities. Since DL is dropping these routes I'm sure US has to pick them up as part of the agreement since this would leave the cities without DCA service which could anger these city representatives who would try to quash the deal.
Does anyone know when MSN or GRR will be starting? Will US add more cities like PHL, PHX, or CLT?

While DSM is not a new city also as part of the deal it will be the first US to the east coast service.

LGA777

Will US add more cities like PHL, PHX, or CLT?

Per today's conference call, there will almost certainly be service from another hub to complement the DCA service (most likely CLT and/or PHL). In fact, USX had 4x daily PHL-GRR service as recently as 2005.

I would expect DSM to gain flights to CLT and/or PHL as well.

GRR was served out of PIT 4-5 times daily by Express carriers (first Trans States, then Mesa) for years. I think at one point it might have even been SAAB's flying up there (circa 1997-1999). PHL had GRR flights up to late 2005 but then the station was dropped. I remember those flights out of PIT being 50-75% full pretty consistently. Of course so were LAN, CHI, FNT, etc. which were all dropped following the merger.

Don't think CLT will be gain passengers to Sao Paulo unless there is a large population in N.C. that I am unaware of. The flight is long enough as it is from MIA, where most latinos are more comfortable travelling out of.
Bad marketing strategy if you ask me.
The Marine Air Terminal at LGA is a mess and Delta made out on this one!!!

Both MSN and DSM are also not really new:

Sometime approx 2000-01 US had PIT-MSN service utilizing either 50 seat CRJs or ERJs. I think it was ended sometime shortly after 9-11. In addition to current PHX service, DSM also had US Express service (via Air Midwest) to MCI (about 3 BE1900s a day) until approx 02-03.

Of all places I had some of the best overnights in GRR. I remember the Cantina that was across the parking lot from the hotel. You'd go down the stone steps and through an iron gate. It was pretty authentic looking and totally unexpected. Loved it.

I flew into GRR,MSN,AZO,FNT,DSM and LAN in the DC9. I think those airport codes are correct. Late 80s to mid 90s.

Would be nice if HVN-DCA service was brought back. Before I was a mainline FA, i worked as an agent in HVN for Allegheny. Those HVN-DCA flights were ALWAYS full with passengers paying full fare Y class tickets.

Latest posts