Next Philadelphia Job Open House

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Philadelphia Open House

ARLINGTON (theHub.com) - To support expanded Philadelphia operations, US Airways is holding another recruiting open house Feb. 22-25, 2005, at US Airways’ Lester administrative office, located at the Airport Business Park at 300 Stevens Drive, Suite 101.

Individuals interested in beginning a career in aviation can attend interview sessions tomorrow, Feb. 22, or Thursday, Feb. 24, at 9:30 a.m., 1 p.m., or 4 p.m. Sessions also will be held on Wednesday, Feb. 23, and Friday, Feb. 25, at 9:30 a.m. and 12 p.m.

US Airways is looking to hire part-time fleet service positions at Philadelphia International Airport, starting at $9.59 per hour. Positions are immediately available, once a candidate successfully completes the interview and FAA/TSA required screening and background requirements.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
Philadelphia Open House

ARLINGTON (theHub.com) - To support expanded Philadelphia operations, US Airways is holding another recruiting open house Feb. 22-25, 2005, at US Airways’ Lester administrative office, located at the Airport Business Park at 300 Stevens Drive, Suite 101.

Individuals interested in beginning a career in aviation can attend interview sessions tomorrow, Feb. 22, or Thursday, Feb. 24, at 9:30 a.m., 1 p.m., or 4 p.m. Sessions also will be held on Wednesday, Feb. 23, and Friday, Feb. 25, at 9:30 a.m. and 12 p.m.

US Airways is looking to hire part-time fleet service positions at Philadelphia International Airport, starting at $9.59 per hour. Positions are immediately available, once a candidate successfully completes the interview and FAA/TSA required screening and background requirements.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="249691"][/post]​

Didn't they just get finished with an open house? I think that you posted that one also. It seems they are having problems finding people.

coachrowsey said:
They will never be able to hire enough.
[post="249842"][/post]​
That's right. The majority going won't be able to pass the background check. Funny we had all these able people that passed background checks and were willing to work, but the company doesn't want to pay them a livable wage. Now, there's not enough 'suitable' candidates to fill the jobs.

While $9.59 is nothing to write home about, it is just PART TIME work. Would this not be a decent job for a college student or retiree who wants to keep them selves busy? Or maybe a 2nd job for a 2-earner family where the non-working spouse has nothing else to do since the kids are in school? There *ARE* people who will work for this wage.

PHL said:
Would this not be a decent job for a college student or retiree who wants to keep them selves busy? Or maybe a 2nd job for a 2-earner family where the non-working spouse has nothing else to do since the kids are in school?
[post="249848"][/post]​

Depends on the schedule. This isnt a 9-5 job (or part time 12-5 job). We bid for Jan/Feb and now have to rebid for March due to a skd change. So this will probably last Mar/Apr then have to rebid again for May. There is no way you would be able to assure yourself of getting the same shift since everyone senior to you would be able to bid something else if they wanted so you would constantly be having to adjust.
Our current worst bid line is off We/Th baggage 830pm-130am Fr/Sa/Su and gates 930pm-130am on Mo/Tu. This is what the JUNIOR NEW HIRE would be stuck with. Not really conducive to a college kid having class at 8am or mom having to get the kids up for school because our last flight is from PHL at 110am and if its late, you MUST stay to meet it. Retired guy who wants a little extra $, yes, but I dont see many others being thrilled about getting this shift right off the bat. Welcome to the airline business!

PHL said:
There *ARE* people who will work for this wage.
[post="249848"][/post]​

Not to beat a dead horse, but the company *IS* seeming to be having trouble finding those people in the numbers needed.....

As for the other things....

And how many college students want to take a part-time job where they can be told any time they show up at work that the *HAVE* to work a couple of hours later that day, or to be back 4 hours after they get off to work another couple of hours? They do have class schedules to work around, after all.

Those retirees - for some of the jobs maybe, but I can't see them in the cargo bin on their knees tossing bags just for a *LITTLE* supplemental income.

Jim

The problem is these are not 8hr jobs. They are more like 12 hour jobs with all the Mandatory O.T. I had a buddy of mine leave the company after 20years because he could not take all the time away from his family. The trade off is just not worth Top Pay any longer and $9.59 an hour, yeah right.

why don't you attend 320, i think you'd love to throw bags and do lav dumps for 9.50/hr , wouldnt you??

They may hire some, but most will not stay. Keep in mind that is exactly what the company wants. Lots of turnover with nobody at top rate. Nevermind the cost of constant training along with the errors if the inexperienced. You can make more an hour elsewhere, and not be out in the weather doing it.

I spoke with someone in on the interview process, and they said the company is advising potential employees that there will be frequent schedule changes. as a result, the company is advising holding a job outside of U may not be doable.

So let's see..... it's part-time, crappy pay, can't hold down my other job....

SIGN ME UP!

I give U credit----at least they're disclosing upfront, instead of 20 years into their 'career'.

One other point. everybody thinks ramp rats have it easy. Seen the size and weight of the bags of your fellow passengers lately? Want to lift a thousand or so in confined quarters?

Some of the newbies will find it's not quite the cakewalk imagined.

diogenes said:
One other point. everybody thinks ramp rats have it easy. Seen the size and weight of the bags of your fellow passengers lately? Want to lift a thousand or so in confined quarters?

[post="249998"][/post]​

Wonder how the illegal aliens would like the work and pay compared to the work and pay in the fields?

diogenes said:
I spoke with someone in on the interview process, and they said the company is advising potential employees that there will be frequent schedule changes. as a result, the company is advising holding a job outside of U may not be doable.

So let's see..... it's part-time, crappy pay, can't hold down my other job....
SIGN ME UP!

I give U credit----at least they're disclosing upfront, instead of 20 years into their 'career'.

[post="249998"][/post]​

So very true. The flights are full and the bags weigh 50 to 70 pounds each. The worst thing the baggage manufacturers did was to put the wheels on the bags (from a rampers point of view) because now the passengers can pack it to the max and not have to carry it while the rampers are on their knees stacking 200 of these bags in a737 or 757. And you work about 12-14 flights (in and outs) a day. I would LOVE to see the people who think we have it easy on their knees in a 737 or 757 stacking these bags in the summer.

Latest posts