NextGen/CLT

LD3

Veteran
Oct 16, 2003
CLT
Visit site
This was originally reported by local news as a way to satisfy residents complaints about noise from arriving aircraft using 18R-36L. My question to any pilot is, is there a certain discomfort level during arrival (from up to 120nm out) with engines at idle? Also, do these new arrival procedures require addtional training?

STORY

Thanx

This was originally reported by local news as a way to satisfy residents complaints about noise from arriving aircraft using 18R-36L. My question to any pilot is, is there a certain discomfort level during arrival (from up to 120nm out) with engines at idle? Also, do these new arrival procedures require addtional training?

STORY

Thanx

Think they are working more torward a straight in approach instead of how its done now at most airports of decending to various intermediate levels. The landing will still require power once flaps and gear come out. Light aircraft can stay at idle till landing from pattern altitude but a swept wing jet does not have that option.

So in the end it might be a bit quieter for those 10 to 15 miles out but it will do nothing for the folks inside 7 miles or so from the end of the runway.

Think they are working more torward a straight in approach instead of how its done now at most airports of decending to various intermediate levels. The landing will still require power once flaps and gear come out. Light aircraft can stay at idle till landing from pattern altitude but a swept wing jet does not have that option.

So in the end it might be a bit quieter for those 10 to 15 miles out but it will do nothing for the folks inside 7 miles or so from the end of the runway.

If I read our crew mail correctly CLT is going to have arrivals like the PHILBO in EWR... a vertical clearance in addition to the horizontal clearance, with some at or above altitudes thrown in the mix for flexibility. The biggest change I think we will notice is a much less congested radio freq, with some fuel savings, and as you already mention hardly any noise abatement at all.

STORY

Thanx

The London, UK, airports have instituted a mandatory Constant Descent Approach (CDA) which normally begins about 7,000 feet above the ground. This is for noise abatement, it is fairly simple and works pretty well once the pilots are used to doing it. It requires the controllers, though, to give the pilots a fairly precise estimate of the number of flight mies to the airport based on the anticipated ground path the controllers will issue the aircraft. With the information, and the groundspeed readout in the cockpit, the pilots simply refer to a table which gives the required descent rate to mee the noise profile. Set that rate in the flight director and/or autopilot and the problem take care of itself (with some occasional adjustments as the groundspeed changes.)

In a jet powered aircraft, idle is not a problem even from cruise altitude down to about 1,000 feet above the ground. At that point (just a few miles to landing) the engines must be somewhat powered up ("spooled" is the terminology) to continue safely. But even spooled, modern jet engines are fairly quiet.

Will the airspace changes for CLT require training? Probably a memo is all that is necessary, and all that will be done.