NMB Makes Ruling on IAM/IBT Mechanics

EricLv2Fish

Veteran
Aug 25, 2005
NMB Certifies IAM for US Airways Mechanics

August 11, 2006

The National Mediation Board (NMB) today officially certified the International Association of Machinists as the official bargaining agent for mechanics and related employees at US Airways. The Board ruled that the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, which represents West mechanics, hadn’t submitted a sufficient “showing of interestâ€￾ to warrant a union election. This means that the IAM is now certified to represent East and West mechanics. (There is no ruling as yet on certification for stock clerks - that remains before the Board).

Today’s ruling clears the way for discussions between the company and the union on a single labor agreement and any transition agreements for mechanics and related employees.

In the meantime, terms of the IBT contract will still apply in the West. The IBT contract, however, will be administered by the IAM.

Today's decision raises a lot of questions for our mechanics and related employees. As we learn more, we'll circulate that information to your managers and get it posted on awaCompass and theHub. Please check back frequently for updates.

For now, everyone should continue with business as usual, and that includes continuing to apply the IBT contract in West operations.

Just curious...what happens to us non-union west techs in the meantime. Do we remain non-union until the transistion agreement is in place?

Fred was right!

Told you so!

Gee, Andy has to go back to work now!

Everything will remain status quo until the company and the IAM sit down and negotiate. And if you are in the same classification under the IAM/US CBA you will be transitioned when the negotiations are complete.

IAM Update

Gee what a surprise, silence from the ibters.

Fred was right!

Told you so!

Everything will remain status quo until the company and the IAM sit down and negotiate. And if you are in the same classification under the IAM/US CBA you will be transitioned when the negotiations are complete.

IAM Update

Thank Goodness its over...I was so tired of waiting.

America west welcome to' all' of our union.
My personal experience has been that they are a good Union that cares about us all. They have always treated us with respect and The Agc. Who are the ones who negotiate our contract are in my opinion honest trustworthy men.I know that a lot of bull has been spread but i know them and have dealt with them and I think we are in good hands. Please dont worry and please we all need to get together behind these guy and give them our support so the will have solidarity...I would have done the same thing and supported the teamsters if they would have been rulled the representative.
i know your all worried and thinking your going to take a small paycut or cut in benifits ...well your not...the agc's will negotiate a new contract that will be better for us all and will represent us all....so just give them some time ..I talked with one today and im sure he will be there for us ..ALL

Ive known most of the grievence and the AGC for charlotte for years....I trust them...I look them in the eyes and they know our familys depend on them for our wages and benifits.....trust me we had The InDUSTRY LEADING CONTRACT FOR YEARSUNTILL THE BANKRUPTCY JUDGE GOT A HOLD OF US...AND THAT WASNT BY ACCIDENT....IM JUST A MECHANIC IN HEAVY IM NOT ASSOCIATED WITH THE UNION EXCEPT IM A MEMBER AND I SUPPORT THEM IVE WORKED THE LINE IN CHARLOTTE AND IN FT LAUDERDALE AND INDY
IVE BEEN HERE 22 YEARS...AND MY OPINION IS THERE A BUNCH OF GOOD MEN....Now I know there are many here who dont like them...but gentleman we have to put aside our differences and come together behind this union...our strength is totally dependent on soldarity...
Be the proffesionals you are....and do whats right for the proffesion....my family and yours depends on us pulling all together in one direction....and so does USAIR WAYS.

AND 700....QUIT RAZZING THESE GUYS...IVE READ YOUR POST FOR A LONG TIME....AND THERE NO HONOR
IN GLOATING.
TRY TO BRING US TOGETHER...WE ARE ALL BROTHERS NOW....LETS ALL ACT LIKE IT...

I SAW BOTH SIDES OF THE STORY AND THE TEAMESTERS ARE A FINE UNION.a LOT OF OUR FRIENDS SUPPORTED THE TEAMSTERS.

NEVER KICK A MAN WHEN HES DOWN....OFFER HIM A
HAND....

...but gentleman we have to put aside our differences and come together behind this union...our strength is totally dependent on soldarity...

Some good food for thought in your post, Aircraft Mechanic.

I would hope the extremists on both sides of this issue would show some maturity and stop baiting the other side with snide comments and attacks. It's over for now and you have a huge battle ahead.

For those on the East, it truly is time to close ranks, stick together and fight for the return of some of our previous earnings, vacation, and work rules.

And to those on the West, I truly hope the IAM bosses get their collective heads out of their butts and reach out in a sincere and genuine gesture of good faith and reconciliation.

There is a lot of experience on both sides of the country that can contribute to a better contract for all. It will take some dynamic and aggressive leadership to pull it together and get everyone rowing in the same direction.

With JG and Dougie the Wonder Boy determined to screw the employees at every turn, the only hope for labor is to stop the infighting and focus on the real issues. I think some of the folks out West have been a bit naive and unrealistic about Doug & Jerry. Those in the East have seen it all before and have learned a very bitter, and powerful lesson.

Good luck to all the good folks at U... no matter what time zone you wake up in!

D

Fred was right!

Told you so!

IAM Update

700UW: I have read your posts ever since the IAM/IBT fiasco began. You have been informative, irritating, way off course, right on the money, humorous, out spoken, a pain in the a$$, a wealth of knowledge, idiotic, arrogant, and you never shut up. I have know idea who FRED is and don't care. I do know ANDY and he has my utmost respect. He did his job and looked out for our best interest.Rest assured that the "WEST" isn't dead yet. We may not have "won" this round, but the fight has just begun as far as transition agreements are concerned. I expect no less from you, than you would expect from me. Therefore, let's drop the unprofessional "told you so" crap and start working for the common good.

P.S.
I will never be silenced as long as I can speak!

P.S.S.
To the IAM - Bring it on! Get it right and don't expect a bunch of meek sheep. After all, it looks like we are "brothers and sisters."

JOY! JOY! I am sure there will be a new push for a Frank Shifano Maintenance facility to be built in the Burg!
US%20AIRWAYS%20MAINT.jpg
"QUE SERA SERA"

Fred was right!

Told you so!

IAM Update

FIRST I LOST MY SENIORITY, NOW I WILL LOOSE PAY, VACATION,SICK DAYS AND THEN MY JOB, ALL FOR AN AIRLINE THAT SHOULD HAVE DIE OFF ANYWAY

Well lets hope the IAM doesn't put us on the street out here.

I don't think that I'd be too quick about letting that worry set in. With the IAM contract , more work will be brought in-house , more work means more jobs, PERIOD.

Regarding the poster that made the moronic comment about an airline that should have died. Keep in mind..AWA too would have died in due course without a merger partner...So be carefull about what you wish for.

I don't think that I'd be too quick about letting that worry set in. With the IAM contract , more work will be brought in-house , more work means more jobs, PERIOD.

Regarding the poster that made the moronic comment about an airline that should have died. Keep in mind..AWA too would have died in due course without a merger partner...So be carefull about what you wish for.
Maybe 700u can answer this, since the IAM contract is so great and it will bring more work in house then that means recalling people who have more senority than 90% of us at america west the teamster pay wasnt so great but i had senority now i lost senority, pay, vacation, sick leave nd as more jobs come back the farther down the ladder and closer we all at america west we be out the door, just as screwed as all the twa people were, all gone and i wondering is there any independant statements other than dougie saying we were in trouble, i think he said that just to keep us from talking crap about how we didnt need us air