NMB to allow American Airlines agents and representatives vote on union representation

usa1

Veteran
Oct 6, 2008
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2012/04/nmb-to-american-airlines-agent.html

NMB to allow American Airlines agents and representatives vote on union representation

The Association of Flight Attendants-CWA has persuaded the National Mediation board to call an election to decide if it can be the bargaining agent for passenger agents and representatives at American Airlines.

That's the group from which 1,200 job losses were announced on Wednesday.

News of the NMB's decision Thursday came not from the AFA-CWA, but from the air carrier. We have this statement Thursday from American spokeswoman Missy Cousino:

"Today, American Airlines received notification that the National Mediation Board (NMB) has authorized a union representation election for American's Agents and Representatives to decide whether they wish to remain independent or instead become members of the Communications Workers of America (CWA). The NMB did not give a specific date for the election.

"The company maintains its original position that the union did not demonstrate sufficient interest from the employees to qualify for an election. American is reviewing the NMB's ruling and will continue to review its options as we await additional information from the NMB."

The AFA-CWA has asked U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Sean Lane, via an "Ad Hoc Committee of Passenger Service Agents," to keep American from making "unilateral changes in the terms and conditions of employment."

And people say unions aren't in the NMBs pocket since they always favor the company. Seriously, I feel sorry for the many agents that don't want representation but will have it imposed on them especially when people like john john are representing them. Only the worst agents I've seen wear CWA pins.

Josh

Reactions: 1 person
Are you that uneducated on the process?

All the union has to do is file with 35% of the amount of eligible workers signing A-cards to hold an election. That's the law.

Both the carrier and the union get to examine the cards.

And you have encountered every agent at AA?

Reactions: 3 people
And people say unions aren't in the NMBs pocket since they always favor the company. Seriously, I feel sorry for the many agents that don't want representation but will have it imposed on them especially when people like john john are representing them. Only the worst agents I've seen wear CWA pins.

Josh

Without this ruling 1,200 American citizens would have been unemployed, and their jobs would have been outsourced to a minimum wage contractor so that other AA union groups could take a smaller hit under the AA plan? 737823 are you in one of those other groups ....

I love anti-labor code words. :rolleyes:

"Imposed?" Um, no. There will be a vote.

"The many?" Remember, the yes vote has to be 50%+1, so if the CWA does in fact get in, it will reflect the wishes of the majority.

A Seriously, I feel sorry for the many agents that don't want representation but will have it imposed on them especially when people like john john are representing them. Only the worst agents I've seen wear CWA pins.

Josh
I am not CWA leadership just try to inform and add to the board

Josh
You should go talk to the former NWA employees about your statements.

I love how people who haven't a clue about unions are such Whiney experts :rolleyes:

That is a truly objective and scientific observation.

Maybe you decide that they are bad as soon as you see the pin?

... Before they actually try and assist your "world revolves around me self"?

No just based on my 70 segments this year on AA. With that said, I had an EXCELLENT purser NRT-ORD that had a Got Guts pin so yes it is possible to have good service and the useless pins. Interestingly, all the Japanese and Madarin speakers on Japan/China flights don't seem to wear the pins. Perhaps it's a cultural thing but they too provide superior service to their English only counterparts.

I was at the BA Concorde Room at T5 and the lounge server who was awesome had a union lanyard (forgot which union) so I don't immediately judge based on their preferences and pin/lanyard.

There is one agent at BOS that wears both a pin AND lanyard she's truly awful. Makes up rules as she goes along, calls for multiple groups to board at a time, probably clears non-revs before revenue passengers (never happened to me but it does happen). Besides E said he's has the same experience too regarding the CWA pins.

Josh

70 Segments wow, you encountered every singe AA employee and did scientific research right?

NOT.

Still waiting on your reply about your technical expertise on how US' planes are antiquated.

And again your making accusations without proof.

You must have been rejected but a hot union lady before and thats why you hate them!

You must have been rejected but a hot union lady before and thats why you hate them!

Nah, not interested in relationships with union ladies I've been married nearly seven years. I'd almost rather not allow union folks in my home but NStar is IBEW represented. Hopefully I won't be needing a plumber anytime soon, although there are scab plumbers that work jobs.

Josh

And once again you fail to back up your statements and ignore them. Typical.

And once again you fail to back up your statements and ignore them. Typical.

What do I need to back up? I perceive the USAir fleet to be old and in poor condition. Period. The majority of fly flights on USAir have been on tired A319/320 aircraft that do not appear to be well maintained. Even the E190s are in awful condition and the737s are in pretty bad shape too, but they will be replaced in the future. You know I don't for the airlines or have a technical background with aircraft and related equipment. In contrast, many of the flights I take on AA are on 737-800s delivered 2009-2012 along with their777s, although not brand new they are still in good shape. Never flown the USAir A330 but would possibly consider doing so to TLV. My sister took the flight on my miles last year in Envoy and was not impressed so I'll probably take Lufthansa or SWISS in first on miles. Not everyone subscribes to your infatuation with USAir, it's a pathetic little carrier and I'm rather disappointed they maybe merging with AA.

Josh

Who is US Air?

Hasnt been that since 1995.

US' average fleet is younger than AA's.

You apparently have an ax to grind and your making false accusations.

I flew two weeks ago, on two A320s and an A321 and they were in tip top shape.

I flew two weeks ago, on two A320s and an A321 and they were in tip top shape.

My guess is you've got lower standards as to what tip-top shape is than some of us... I flew one trip on US last year -- three A320's and a CRJ... One of the A320's had double-sided carpet tape all over the inside the overhead bins in my row, on another, the seat cover was leather's equivalent of threadbare, and the CRJ still had the Flintstones themed bulkhead carpet.

And more germane to the conversation, one of the gate agents at PHL had more visible tatoos on her than my son in the Marines.