No Ice & No Food

totobird

Senior
Nov 26, 2002
www.usaviation.com
The company that maintains the catering building and mail/freight building equipment told their employees to turn in their uniforms and not to report to work on Wednesday as they are due 3 months back pay from USAirways.
According to one of the workers they lost $250,000 after the first bankruptcy and they are not going down that road again.
Also I noticed that some of the restaurants in the Pit airport have put up signs saying
"We are no longer accepting any USAirways food vouchers"
Cash or credit only.

I think the company thought BK would be as easy as it was the first time....I don't think so....

It would have bohooved the Co. to wait and negotiate reasonablity from all of labor. They failed to do this as they became to opportunistic and greedy.

Everyone wants the co. to survive BUT not at the risk of their own personal survival.

That's just the way it is.

"We are no longer accepting any USAirways food vouchers"

Last time I saw that was at the DIA and the company was Great Lakes Airways . . . . another well-led and managed airline.

The small station I work, last time had to go beg the hotels to take our vouchers again, I think this time We will have a problem, plus baggage delivery service burned first time, now again, how many times do they think people will continue to do service with us?

This also adds to the issues of customer risk taking. Right now, buying a ticket on US Airways is a risk for a customer. Seeing signs like this as they walk through airports and hearing news reports, etc. of this type thing adds to the sense that they are taking a risk. The more in the future the ticket is for the more risk. This situation has the unfortunate possibility of snowballing out of control very quickly. Management is trying to reassure customers but there is only so much they can do. I would suspect that until a plan of some form is presented and there is some supporting comment from several major creditors that includes a favorable response to the plan a lot of passengers are going to see the risk as way too high.

GadgetFreak said:
This also adds to the issues of customer risk taking. Right now, buying a ticket on US Airways is a risk for a customer. Seeing signs like this as they walk through airports and hearing news reports, etc. of this type thing adds to the sense that they are taking a risk. The more in the future the ticket is for the more risk. This situation has the unfortunate possibility of snowballing out of control very quickly. Management is trying to reassure customers but there is only so much they can do. I would suspect that until a plan of some form is presented and there is some supporting comment from several major creditors that includes a favorable response to the plan a lot of passengers are going to see the risk as way too high.
[post="179365"][/post]​
All the more reason to use a credit card when purchasing a ticket. It still amazes me that a lot of people use cash. Oy.

EyeInTheSky said:
All the more reason to use a credit card when purchasing a ticket. It still amazes me that a lot of people use cash. Oy.
[post="179385"][/post]​

Cash is king. USair credit has no value for anyone.

You folks can't be serious about 'negotiating with labor' and 'see the restructuring plan' --- again you are relying on credit that is just not there!

That catering company and the PIT restaurants won't be the only dominoes in this saga.

The bell has rung people. The game is over.

Seatacus said:
So it looks like PIT wants to hurry Usairways demise................. I guess they have someone else to fill those gates.
[post="179396"][/post]​

I think the PIT airport authority behaved like clueless fools the first time around. But this isnt the airport authority is it? Arent these individual small to medium sized business that dont have the legal juice of folks like GE credit and cant run their businesses taking a loss on account of US? They are in a tough spot all around but I can see them not being willing to add to their risk here.

EyeInTheSky said:
[post="179385"][/post]​

Wow, I had no idea that anyone used cash for tickets. Thats amazing. In any case that isnt the whole issue though. Lets say Im going somewhere for Thanksgiving and want to book now to get a good price. If I book on US and they arent operating at Thanksgiving. I have the hassle of getting my money back through the credit card company. Who knows how much of a problem that is. Plus, I have to rebook and try to get a good fare even though it is much later. I cant see booking a ticket on US that far out. Im looking for a ticket next week and Im concerned about that.

Note, once an airline is in Chapter 11, some credit cards -- notably AMEX -- will NOT refund your money if US cannot deliver the services. It's my understanding AMEX only promises to do this if you buy a ticket on an airline not in Chapter 11.

I think AMEX refuses to refund only if you buy the ticket/purchase the product AFTER the company goes into BK. I think they will refund if you bought before BK is filed and the ticket is unusable or the product undelivered.

Latest posts