non rev athens

dash8roa

Senior
Oct 25, 2003
Several weeks ago i flew non rev to athens.No problem east bound.Coming home we were stuck for two days in athens because of bad weather in phl.One day the seats were limited to 142 seats and next day was 143 seats.The 767 just does not have the legs westbound.I was told this situation was common and sometimes a fuel stop was made in bos.Besides non rev's,many paying pax were denied boarding.Poor planning on this route made many pax mad.We zed fared on lh to frankfurt.The 2:30 hour flight showed me how an airline should be run.We were offered a hot meal and wine or beer.The f/a's were pleasant and attentive.Now i started to think if lh had to cut costs they could downgrade the meal and beverage service and other free services.Us has cut customer service to the bone,already burned all the furnature. The a330 to clt coach seats were the tightest seat pitch i have ever seen.And now they want to serve china.
I cast my vote for aa service to china.Us keeps adding european cities and has not added any wide bodies in years.Still 9 a330's and 10 767's. I do have to say the 767's look a tad better with the modest interior changes just made.
I feed sad when knowing things can be better but this airline hates change and will not look at other carriers flying similar routes. Us international service is 2nd rate,and sooner or later with the open skies agreement starting early next year,people will vote with their wallets and leave us for better service for the same fare.

The demand is so high that Tempe has no incentive to change (i.e. improve) anything on transatlantic. When the passenger loads begin to dry up, they may take another look. It makes no difference to Tempe if the service is crappy and unreliable as long as the seats fill. Any improvements would only eat into profits. Doogie is not about "airline of choice."

Several weeks ago i flew non rev to athens.No problem east bound.Coming home we were stuck for two days in athens because of bad weather in phl.One day the seats were limited to 142 seats and next day was 143 seats.The 767 just does not have the legs westbound.I was told this situation was common and sometimes a fuel stop was made in bos.Besides non rev's,many paying pax were denied boarding.Poor planning on this route made many pax mad.....
The westbound weight restriction requirement for the US 767 to ATH was well known before the route was started. It was simply a tradeoff of whether to ignore the CO/DL competion to ATH for another 2 years, or fly the route now with less a than optimum aircraft. How efficiently and diplomatically they adjust the takeoff weight to compensate is another matter.

The demand is so high that Tempe has no incentive to change (i.e. improve) anything on transatlantic. When the passenger loads begin to dry up, they may take another look. It makes no difference to Tempe if the service is crappy and unreliable as long as the seats fill. Any improvements would only eat into profits. Doogie is not about "airline of choice."
Would you agree that the above statement would be true about the domestic service also?

Latest posts