Non Rev Boarding

It is true. The flight attendants were the only labor group that had it spelled out in our contract in black and white. Date of hire or SIDS date. A grievance was filed because the company seem to think they could make it a company policy but as they quickly found out company policy does not "trump" contract language. So basically because of the language in the flight attendant's contract every employee at US Airways will go back to boarding priority based on your Date of Hire.

Any truth to the Rumor...

Date of hire within boarding priority. The priority groups didn't change so the only difference is breaking a tie within priority classification - before it was year of hire and now date of hire.

Jim

Date of hire within boarding priority. The priority groups didn't change so the only difference is breaking a tie within priority classification - before it was year of hire and now date of hire.

Jim

On flights where there is a lot of demand by non-revs, this is a pretty significant change, especially for air crew who are overseas or in the air at the 12 hours prior to departure period. They no longer have to worry about getting themselves checked in at 12 hours prior so they can be first in their hire year on the standby list. They can check in at any time within 12 hours now since it won't make any difference where they end up on the list.

I feel this is a good change. Since the company decided that boarding non-rev should be senority then it should be by date-of-hire. I have seen many listed on a flight with the same hire year, so a person hired in Jan should go ahead of someone hired in Dec.

Its interesting that even though its in the East Flight attendant contract. It does not put all FAs on the same playing field and could cause problems. The West senority hire date is date of graduation from training, not date of hire. Dont be suprised to see some grievances filed in regards to this new boarding process. If DOH is to be used, they need to go back and award the correct DOH in the system for ALL employees.

JMHO

It is true. The flight attendants were the only labor group that had it spelled out in our contract in black and white. Date of hire or SIDS date. A grievance was filed because the company seem to think they could make it a company policy but as they quickly found out company policy does not "trump" contract language. So basically because of the language in the flight attendant's contract every employee at US Airways will go back to boarding priority based on your Date of Hire.

Since the east flight attendant contract is contolling for the entire company, can you please get some langueage that would improve the West pilot's crew meals?

You are not alone my friend.Passenger service employees contract article 8-seniority DOH boarding for on line non rev space available travel..staff grievance filed for all CWA members.

You are not alone my friend.Passenger service employees contract article 8-seniority DOH boarding for on line non rev space available travel..staff grievance filed for all CWA members.

My apologizes, apparently we were mislead. The information below is from an AFA-CWA MEC e-line:

The Association of Flight Attendants (AFA-CWA) filed a grievance in February 2007 citing contract language in our Collective Bargaining Agreement that Flight Attendants use their date of initial training or Seniority Integration Date (SID), whichever is applicable, to determine non-revenue boarding. It should be noted that AFA-CWA is the only labor group on the property that has contractual language to determine non-revenue boarding based on a specific date.

The Company denied the grievance based on their interpretation that Company policy, rather than contract language, determined non-revenue boarding. An arbitration to hear the dispute was scheduled for November 29 and 30, 2007. Shortly before the arbitration, the Company cancelled the arbitration and a series of settlement talks ensued.

Since Company policy cannot trump contract language, the Company agreed with the Union's position regarding full date of hire, or SID, to determine non-revenue boarding and agreed to settle the grievance.

When was the CWA grievance to be heard?

Its interesting that even though its in the East Flight attendant contract. It does not put all FAs on the same playing field and could cause problems. The West senority hire date is date of graduation from training, not date of hire. Dont be suprised to see some grievances filed in regards to this new boarding process. If DOH is to be used, they need to go back and award the correct DOH in the system for ALL employees.

JMHO

I agree with you that your official hire date should be the day you showed up for class, rather than graduation day. In a past merger, this was done during the integration process of the contracts and seniority lists for the pilots. The (original) Piedmont pilots were all given hire dates based on when they were available for line operations. This was usually three weeks or more after showing up for indoctrination. When USAir bought Piedmont, all our hire dates were changed to reflect the day we showed up for our first indoc class.

My guess is that this will also occur with you, and you will eventually be getting that hire date moved to your class date. Of course, that would be the fair thing to do, but around here all bets are off concerning fairness.

I could be wrong, but I thought the issue of date-of-hire was settled when the FA seniority list was merged. Call the union and ask them.

I could be wrong, but I thought the issue of date-of-hire was settled when the FA seniority list was merged. Call the union and ask them.

That doesn't necessarily have anything to do with how the company boards employees.

And....YOU call the union yourself and ask them. I really have no dog in that fight. Bottom line is that I don't really care a whole lot about whether a AWA flight attendant gets the DOH he/she really deserves. We have our own battles. I was just commenting on how it was handled in previous mergers

You know you're in a lousy situation when getting back something you shouldn't have lost is good news.

Why isn't there some kind of monetary penalty to the Company for violating our contract? They'd stop violating it every which way to Sunday if there was.

Now if we could just get our family's seniority back. If you think about the Crew lifestyle it's readily apparent that often to get where you want to go you have to split up sometimes. If there was only two seats on a flight, one took one kid and the other waited for the next one. Part of non revving. Now, if the active employee isn't there, the family seniority plummets. Sad thanks for years of service when a six month employee knocks out a twenty-five year spouse.

I realize that junior employees don't see my point. Try asking your spouse in about ten years after living with this career. You might have a different answer.