Non Rev Commuting--A Question

Art at ISP

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Dix Hills NY
www.ffocus.org
So I was on AA last week (sorry no more US until the operation improves) between LGA and RDU, and had the chance to talk to the FA about US, AA, FFOCUS, etc. I was surprised to learn that employees of other airlines know about us--but I digress.

She told me that she is NYC based living in PIT, and commutes on other airlines--she says Jet Blue, Delta, etc. will always let non revs fly for free when commuting but US charges $30 or thereabouts. Can anyone confirm?

I thought it was interesting--customers are not the only ones being nickel and dimed????? I wonder how AA treats US commuters.

Any comments/answers would be greatly appreciated.

My BEST to you all.....

So I was on AA last week (sorry no more US until the operation improves) between LGA and RDU, and had the chance to talk to the FA about US, AA, FFOCUS, etc. I was surprised to learn that employees of other airlines know about us--but I digress.

She told me that she is NYC based living in PIT, and commutes on other airlines--she says Jet Blue, Delta, etc. will always let non revs fly for free when commuting but US charges $30 or thereabouts. Can anyone confirm?

I thought it was interesting--customers are not the only ones being nickel and dimed????? I wonder how AA treats US commuters.

My BEST to you all.....
It's $30 dollars or your first born. Labor costs are still high and child labor is being contemplated by the Bean counters. The only thing free on US is bombardments of advertisements and bad service.

Its called a ZED fare-only the airlines that US has an interline agreement with , this replaces the ID 90-
That other carriers DO NOT have agreement with.
they charge 10% of the fare.
Yes we do ZEDS on dif carriers, since our flights have no open seats ,(good for business)..

Other airlines get our business and TREAT US very very good.

This company US, treat the employees like S**T!

Not only passengers..

FYI< CO is the airlines's carrier of choice! :up:

My BEST to you all.....

This is/was in the process of being addressed. Try this link from April regarding a Reciprocal Flight Attendant Cabin Seat and Jumpseat campaign.

Reciprocal Fligh Attendant Cabin Seat and Jumpseats

Its called a ZED fare-only the airlines that US has an interline agreement with , this replaces the ID 90-
That other carriers DO NOT have agreement with.
they charge 10% of the fare.
Yes we do ZEDS on dif carriers, since our flights have no open seats ,(good for business)..

Other airlines get our business and TREAT US very very good.

This company US, treat the employees like S**T!

Not only passengers..

FYI< CO is the airlines's carrier of choice! :up:

Second that

...she says Jet Blue, Delta, etc. will always let non revs fly for free when commuting but US charges $30 or thereabouts. Can anyone confirm?

My BEST to you all.....
And Southwest charges $25 between PIT & PHL. Wonder what they charge PIT-ISP? Probably the same. That, plus the ride to NYC from ISP, would probably be more than the $30 that US charges to NYC direct from PIT. It would be nice if all airlines could do the free reciprical though.

So I was on AA last week (sorry no more US until the operation improves) between LGA and RDU, and had the chance to talk to the FA about US, AA, FFOCUS, etc.

oh boo hoo, the nbr 1 complainer is not flying US
anymore. do us a favor and take your other airline
employee wannabe pineybob with you...i only wish, after 40 years in the airline industy, i
had the insight and knowledge that you whiners do.
that pineybob dude has to have a say on just about
every message thats posted on this site, is there
no end to his unlimited knowledge on every subject??

So I was on AA last week (sorry no more US until the operation improves) between LGA and RDU, and had the chance to talk to the FA about US, AA, FFOCUS, etc.
oh boo hoo, the nbr 1 complainer is not flying US
anymore. do us a favor and take your other airline
employee wannabe pineybob with you...i only wish, after 40 years in the airline industy, i
had the insight and knowledge that you whiners do.
that pineybob dude has to have a say on just about
every message thats posted on this site, is there
no end to his unlimited knowledge on every subject??

You have no idea who I am--I have NEVER been a whiner, and have ALWAYS worked to support US and the front line employees. Why don't you just crawl back into your hole and have a drink of KoolAid? And based on your post herein, I would bet that I know a heck of a lot more than you do..but that's not the point here. I have also probably done more positive and supportive things for US and the employees than most other customers, so why don't you find another target to whine on?

I am not alone--elites in DROVES are leaving, and this is just the beginning. Stay tuned.

And to those of you who actually tried to answer the question, thank you! The question was for the FA not for me--I am not an employee of US.

My best to you ALL....

And Southwest charges $25 between PIT & PHL.
I was in PIT last night waiting on my rep to fly in from PHL on SWA and was sitting next to the cattle shoot watching folks get off the plane. There must have been between 12 and 15 US employees who got off the plane. I was quite simply stunned that many US employees would be on that flight.

I was in PIT last night waiting on my rep to fly in from PHL on SWA and was sitting next to the cattle shoot watching folks get off the plane. There must have been between 12 and 15 US employees who got off the plane. I was quite simply stunned that many US employees would be on that flight.

That's because they can't non-rev on their own planes :down:

Art,
Each airline works out these agreements and we charge what they charge us.

Art, AFAIK it is customary in the industry to allow cockpit personnel to ride gratis on just about any airline. At AA we have what are called jumpseat agreements for f/as with certain other airlines--currently, SW, DL, Frontier. It's called a jumpseat agreement, but it does not allow f/as from one airline to ride the jumpseat on another airline. It allows jumpseat-qualified personnel (aka, flight attendants) to fly free in coach on a space available basis on each other.

I use SW frequently to get home from St. Louis if my trip ends after 1930. Our last flight to DFW is at 1945. SW has a flight to Love at 2130.

That's because they can't non-rev on their own planes :down:

That is a true statement. US Airways sells out almost all of their flights between PHL-PIT, leaving little or no room for NRSA's. Flights between CLT-PIT are also regularly sold out. What this shows is that there is still a very healthy market for REVENUE customers in PIT, and the market is underserved with the current flight schedule. US is leaving a lot of business on the table by limiting the number of seats from PIT, and a lot of that business is going to Air Tran and WN.

US Airways sells out almost all of their flights between PHL-PIT, leaving little or no room for NRSA's. What this shows is that there is still a very healthy market for REVENUE customers in PIT, and the market is underserved with the current flight schedule. US is leaving a lot of business on the table by limiting the number of seats from PIT, and a lot of that business is going to Air Tran and WN.
I agree, part of the reason they are sold out is US has replaced the larger a/c on the route with smaller a/c. Instead of running a 3/4 full 737 or Airbus, they are running RJ's which are then oversold.

I agree, part of the reason they are sold out is US has replaced the larger a/c on the route with smaller a/c. Instead of running a 3/4 full 737 or Airbus, they are running RJ's which are then oversold.

Yes. Precisely what my point was. If the objective is to increase market share and make money, one would think that US would add capacity to meet the demand, price it appropriatley, and then sell the he11 out of it. Airline marketing and economics is voodoo science at best, if you asked me.

Latest posts