Nonrev Alert For Tpa Express Flights

tadjr

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
TPA
www.airlineforums.com
I just want to let anyone who might be nonreving thru TPA conx to/from an Express flight (Air Midwest B1900) to be aware that just because it shows seats doesnt mean you'll get on. These flights have major weight restrictions on a daily basis usually being able to take only 15-17 customers (depending on flight/weather/bags,etc) and that a flight that shows seats open doesnt necessarily mean we are going to be able to use it. (Sorry to the nonrevs who came down and ended up having to go back thru CLT to get home) Sometimes we do get to take a full load of customers, but that usually means that bags get left behind instead. This is a daily problem, one that has supposedly been address by management to his boss and the Express division, but one that doesnt seem to rate too high on anyones list to correct. In addition to that, they are constantly late due to crew requirements or cancelled (or lack of crew as is common right now, I guess they're training all those guys on the RJS and dont have anyone left to fly the Beeches) and constant aircraft swaps all day long. (Pick a plane and stick with it, ok?) If you have an option other than connecting here to one of these flights, my advice as of right now, would be to take it.
Someone from CCY seriously needs to look at and address the entire Air Midwest operation in Florida from a customer (remember them?) standpoint as far as operational reliability, bookings and baggage claims associated with the new weights and fuel requirements of these flights. As far as anyone being concerned about flying them from an operational standpoint, dont be worried, they canx when they have a maint problem and go out within approved weights (therein lies the whole problem!)

Can't wait to see the weight restrictions on the "all-new, manna from heaven, super-duper, better than sliced bread" rj-sj-whatevers.

INVOL

Actually I think its been longer than that that they havent cared, but this is what its dwindled down to. From a mix of jets and Dash to just the Dash to Dash/Beech to just the Beech. Sad state of affairs, especially when you look at some of the local fares in the market. $334 one way TPA-PNS, $286 one way TPA-VPS for a ride on a Beech that might go, maybe and then depending on how many other people want to go, your bag might make it, or maybe not until later tonight... I'm just waiting for AirTran to start these routes and then listen to management wonder why no one wants to fly us. :down: No clue yet guys?

Any idea if Air Midwest/Mesa is still having Gulfstream fly the Bahama's routes???

A code-share contract carrier, contracting out to another code-share contract.

Just shows you how much they care, doesn't it?

Gulfstream hasnt been flying for them for about 3 weeks to a month give or take. It hasnt helped the operation though. At least with Gulfstream we knew where and when they'd be flying since they had certain lines of flight. Now its a free for all every day.

Years ago, I used to fly PNS-TPA regularly and I was always horrified by the fares US wanted. I know people who still fly that route and many have resorted to connecting through ATL (DL or FL), in order to avoid the fares and the small planes (the Dash's were fine on the route, but the B1900's are not desirable).
It's pretty sad when US has lost touch so badly, that they actually encourage people to make an out of the way connection rather than the nonstop.

Of course, I don't think US really has any long term interest in the intra-Florida flying. I imagine these remaining routes will either get the axe or DL/FL will bring in RJ's and knock US out.

On a similar note. Can we as agents be a little NICER to NonRevs? I hear stories from my kid at school about traveling NRSA. She has been ignored by gate agents and talked down to by counter agents. She has almost be left standing at the gate twice and had to speak up just to get on.

If we can't be nice to our own, who can be be nice to???? Think of it this way - It may be YOUR MOM or KID some day. Do you want them treated like trash?

Thanks for the forum.

I'm pretty sure you can't blame CCY for the problems with the Beech1900s. None of the US Group (ALG, PSA, Piedmont) fly 1900's. Therefore we don't dispatch them or plan them in any way. (other than RES filling the seats).

I know for a fact that the Dash 8s of ALG and the Do328s of PSA were getting hit with restrictions from the FAA mandatory pax weight increase. Our commuter group has implemented new planning measures (splitting carry-on bag weights from the pax and actually counting how many bags are carried on the plane.) This has helped ease restrictions on MZFW (max zero fuel weights) and MTOWs (max T/O weights) (Allowing us to fill all or nearly all our seats without restrictions)

You can bet that if the contract carriers are having trouble carrying the loads we hired them to carry that CCY has any costs incurred from denied boardings rolled over to them. If not, then the folks at CCY weren't doing their homework when they contracted out our flying...

UsPerfEngr

This happens in Allentown as well........

NO SEATS ON PEAK DAYS.....

PASSENGERS AND BAGS LEFT STANDING.

DIDN'T HAPPEN WHEN WE HAD JETS TO PIT AND CLT.

NOW WE JUST MAKE THE PASSENGERS FLY ON SOMEBODY ELSE.

GOT TO LOVE THE RJ'S........THANKS DAVE AND DAVE......

BUY THE WAY WE GOT OUR FIRST EXPRESS PAYCHECK....

WELFARE HERE I COME...... :down: :down: :down: :down:

Oliver Twist,

I agree with you. I don't understand some gate agents attitudes towards non-revs. I almost never non-rev, but I have a daughter who commutes from state college on express, a couple of the agents out of A Concourse are just so "inflamed" as soon as they see a non -rev that has to board. My daughter just happened to connect off of a flight from Columbus to PIT and the Pittsburgh flight waited on the tarmack for about 10 minutes before pulling up to the gate. My daughter had to go to the end concourse A to get her flight to Penn State and arrived at the ticket counter 10 minutes before departure an the agent said she closed the flight out and she needs to arrive 30 min before. My daughter called me on cell and was in tears because the next flight was booked. She said that the agent even commented to her on her clothes she wore while she waited for the next flight, which put my daughter in shock. SHE WAS WEARING NO JEANS. SHE HAD A PAIR OF BLACK PANTS ON AND A PULLOVER WHITE ZIPPED IN THE FRONT FLANNEL JACKET. The agent said next time she wears that most agents won't put her on. She said the agent appeared "stressed out" over worked and over anxious.

Please folks, treat non-revs like you would treat any "human being". Doesn't take much to be courteous and patient. Two virtures that is necessary to get through any day.

how many stations lost all mainline jets and of that, how many will even think that will get at least one jet back? in my station, i dont believe we will ever see the mainline jets again. i believe that in due time, either the 70 seat emb-170/175 will
replace the 50 seat erj or we'll have one more 50 seater in/out to clt.

Pitbull,
I do wish I could tell you about how my two daughters were treated while they commuted non-rev once and awhile from State College,PA and Univ. of IL. in Champagne. The story of your daughter is nothing compaired to what my daughters went threw. Oh, this was 5-10 years ago and I thought things had changed. Guess not. My daughters were very well dressed when they traveled. But some agents were cruel. I think they liked seeing a teenaged girl crying at a gate. But I still believe that its a small percentage of cruel agents. Most are good.

Latest posts