Northwest Air Seeks OK to Fly to Baghdad

----------------
On 5/12/2003 2:57:52 PM frntvngd wrote:

Why, Someone tell me WHY????? Does anyone want to fly to Baghdad???

Was it actually a popular destination before the war?

Someone explain this to me!

----------------​

Doesn''t the Detroit area have a large population of people of Iraqi origin? There might be a market in the Detroit area for some service to Baghdad, maybe not daily but a couple times weekly. Also, the flight would not be direct but with a stop in AMS & code-share with KLM, so it might make some sense (and perhaps money).

Plus, with the new NWA logo on fuselage of the airplanes, a whole new music/culture scene could open up in Baghdad

----------------

----------------​

Apparently, United Airlines also wants to fly to Baghdad. Well not exactly, I think UA will apply for a codeshare with Austrian on Vienna-Baghdad (3 weekly flights).

----------------
On 5/12/2003 4:08:32 PM FrugalFlyer wrote:

----------------

----------------​

Doesn''t the Detroit area have a large population of people of Iraqi origin? ----------------​

You''ve got it. Dearborn, especially.
Supposedly there was a US/Iraq bilateral agreement in the works back in the late ''80s that would''ve seen that bright green Iraqi Airways 747SP at DTW--and, presumably, NW in Baghdad.
The events of August 1990, needless to say, but an end to that idea...

----------------
On 5/13/2003 11:53:24 AM delldude wrote:

won''t take long or be too hard for some smack with a stinger to make a statement,especially there..

----------------​

Yep, a corkscrew approach while spewing chaff would seem to be prudent at this time...

----------------
On 5/13/2003 4:01:49 PM mga707 wrote:

----------------
On 5/13/2003 11:53:24 AM delldude wrote:

won''t take long or be too hard for some smack with a stinger to make a statement,especially there..

----------------​
Yep, a corkscrew approach while spewing chaff would seem to be prudent at this time...

----------------​
yeah....i agree....tis not the time nor the season....i mean is somebody asking for it or what?i wouldn''t wish to be on that route.

It may not be the time or season now, but it certainly is prudent to start asking for rights at this time. For one, it demonstrates a public will to establish good relations with Iraq, which can be valuable to the entire country. Plus, if Iraq stabilizes, this could be a fairly lucrative route, especially for NW with its Detroit hub. Getting rights now costs very little, and certainly less than waiting to find out if things stabilize. If you wait until then, you''re bound to face more competition and have a harder time winning the rights (if open skies aren''t declared)

Now that sanctions are officially lifted (as of today), the only thing blocking carriers from serving Iraq is the fact that the airports aren''t open.

According to the DOT website, UA has existing authority to serve Iraq, as do DL and AA.

BA, AF, AZ, and LH have existing rights which were used up until 1990, so should either of them resume service to Baghdad, my guess is that you''d see the DL*, AA* and UA* code on those services from Day 1.

KL may have rights, but didn''t fly into Baghdad between 1982 and the Kuwait invasion as far as I can tell. That may prove to be as much of a stumbling block as getting DOT approval.