Northwest Airlines Posts $1.1B Loss in 1Q

jenny@nw

Veteran
Feb 20, 2006
pacific nw
Wednesday May 10, 6:37 pm ET
By Joshua Freed, AP Business Writer
Northwest Airlines Posts $1.1 Billion Loss in First Quarter, Mostly Due to Bankruptcy Expenses
source

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Northwest Airlines Corp. said Wednesday it lost $1.1 billion in the first quarter, attributing most of the red ink to bankruptcy expenses.
The nation's fourth-largest airline said its loss would have been $129 million without $975 million in bankruptcy expenses. Operating revenue for the quarter ended March 31 was $2.9 billion, up 3.3 percent from the same period a year ago.

The current loss of $12.65 per share compared with a loss of $537 million, or $5.39 per share, during the same period last year. That was before it filed for bankruptcy protection in September, in part because of rising fuel prices.

The airline said it spent $1.87 per gallon on fuel (not counting taxes) for the quarter, up almost 36 percent from the same period last year.

Oil has been running around $70 a barrel or above, and every dollar increase raises Northwest's fuel costs by $43 million a year, the airline said.

Northwest said that when it filed for bankruptcy protection it planned on oil prices of $65 per barrel this year and $60 per barrel after that. High fuel costs and the volatility in their prices create "great uncertainty around this key element of our plan," Chief Financial Officer Neal Cohen said in a prepared statement.

Northwest, based in Eagan, took $1 billion in charges for renegotiating and rejecting aircraft leases, but recorded a $49 million gain for ending a pension plan.

It is aiming to save $400 million a year on its fleet by taking advantage of its ability in bankruptcy court to reject or renegotiate leases. Northwest said it has rejected or renegotiated leases for 211 aircraft so far.

Northwest said its operating expenses dropped 6.3 percent to $2.9 billion for the quarter. Salaries, wages and benefits dropped almost 30 percent because of wage reductions.

Northwest is most of the way toward getting $1.4 billion in labor cost reductions it has been seeking. Pilots approved a new contract last week. Flight attendants are voting through June 6 on pay cuts. But baggage handlers are resisting, and a trial is set to begin on Monday to decide whether Northwest can throw out their contract.

"Reaching our labor cost savings goal would be a significant milestone in our ongoing efforts to achieve the $2.5 billion in annual business improvements necessary for Northwest to be profitable on a sustained basis," President and Chief Executive Doug Steenland said.

Northwest reduced its capacity by almost 11 percent for the first quarter, including a drop of 12.5 percent for domestic flights and 8.2 percent on international flights.

"Although we have made progress in our restructuring process, we still have work to do to position the company for long-term success," Steenland said.

The company said it ended the quarter with $1.28 billion in unrestricted cash and short-term investments.

touchedupnwaplane.jpg

Wednesday May 10, 6:37 pm ET
By Joshua Freed, AP Business Writer
Northwest Airlines Posts $1.1 Billion Loss in First Quarter, Mostly Due to Bankruptcy Expenses
source

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Northwest Airlines Corp. said Wednesday it lost $1.1 billion in the first quarter, attributing most of the red ink to bankruptcy expenses.
The nation's fourth-largest airline said its loss would have been $129 million without $975 million in bankruptcy expenses. Operating revenue for the quarter ended March 31 was $2.9 billion, up 3.3 percent from the same period a year ago.

The current loss of $12.65 per share compared with a loss of $537 million, or $5.39 per share, during the same period last year. That was before it filed for bankruptcy protection in September, in part because of rising fuel prices.

The airline said it spent $1.87 per gallon on fuel (not counting taxes) for the quarter, up almost 36 percent from the same period last year.

Oil has been running around $70 a barrel or above, and every dollar increase raises Northwest's fuel costs by $43 million a year, the airline said.

Northwest said that when it filed for bankruptcy protection it planned on oil prices of $65 per barrel this year and $60 per barrel after that. High fuel costs and the volatility in their prices create "great uncertainty around this key element of our plan," Chief Financial Officer Neal Cohen said in a prepared statement.

Northwest, based in Eagan, took $1 billion in charges for renegotiating and rejecting aircraft leases, but recorded a $49 million gain for ending a pension plan.

It is aiming to save $400 million a year on its fleet by taking advantage of its ability in bankruptcy court to reject or renegotiate leases. Northwest said it has rejected or renegotiated leases for 211 aircraft so far.

Northwest said its operating expenses dropped 6.3 percent to $2.9 billion for the quarter. Salaries, wages and benefits dropped almost 30 percent because of wage reductions.

Northwest is most of the way toward getting $1.4 billion in labor cost reductions it has been seeking. Pilots approved a new contract last week. Flight attendants are voting through June 6 on pay cuts. But baggage handlers are resisting, and a trial is set to begin on Monday to decide whether Northwest can throw out their contract.

"Reaching our labor cost savings goal would be a significant milestone in our ongoing efforts to achieve the $2.5 billion in annual business improvements necessary for Northwest to be profitable on a sustained basis," President and Chief Executive Doug Steenland said.

Northwest reduced its capacity by almost 11 percent for the first quarter, including a drop of 12.5 percent for domestic flights and 8.2 percent on international flights.

"Although we have made progress in our restructuring process, we still have work to do to position the company for long-term success," Steenland said.

The company said it ended the quarter with $1.28 billion in unrestricted cash and short-term investments.

touchedupnwaplane.jpg
Holy $h!t that's a lot of money.

"Salaries, wages and benefits dropped almost 30 percent because of wage reductions."

Hell they could work for free and Scab Air will still lose millions, look at the management morons running it.

I bet Neil "the butcher" Cohen didn't get his bonuses or pay cut by 30%. :down:

How is that "flawless" scab plan working Dougie Stealin'? Not too good? :lol:

$1.1 Billion in 1Q for an airline as small as Scab Air, jeezus.... that's gonna leave a mark.

Chapter 7 this summer???? ;)

OUCH! that is a lot of dought being tossed out. Well its time to force the scabs to work for free with no benes! and the entire mgmt of scab air too work for free and no benes!

Looks like that $200M ANNUAL labor savings are SMALL BEANS when you're talking a $1.1 Billion 1st quarter lose.
Not to mention the losses that come from passengers who book away from Scab Air because of the scab maintained junk.

Pay me now or pay for it later....in Chapter 7. ;)

Yes the bean counter will shuffle some numbers, and PRESTO things will magically improve... :lol:
Nah, I wouldn't want to spoil all of the celebrating over the negative news that affects the livelihoods of the 30K or so people who still work for NWA.

BTW, the article posted noted that the operating loss was only $129M for the Quarter. You generally don't make profits during the reorganization process due to the hefty bankruptcy related expenses that are incurred during that period. Obviously there is a lot of work yet to be done to turn that operating loss into a gain, so I'm not saying the results are positive by any stretch of the imagination. As a comparitive to some airlines that aren't in bankruptcy here are the operating losses they posted for Q1

American - $150M loss
Continental - $46M Loss
United - $306M Loss

Nah, I wouldn't want to spoil all of the celebrating over the negative news that affects the livelihoods of the 30K or so people who still work for NWA.

Oh BOO HOO bean counter...
Don't worry, there are plenty of places in need of bean counters....
no one, especially YOU could give a ship about the 4,000 plus mechanics that are gone, so dont pull that livelihood crap on us (me). Tell me bean counter out of those 30K or so people how many give a crap about me or my family?
Bite me!!!!

BTW, the article posted noted that the operating loss was only $129M for the Quarter. You generally don't make profits during the reorganization process due to the hefty bankruptcy related expenses that are incurred during that period. Obviously there is a lot of work yet to be done to turn that operating loss into a gain, so I'm not saying the results are positive by any stretch of the imagination. As a comparitive to some airlines that aren't in bankruptcy here are the operating losses they posted for Q1

American - $150M loss
Continental - $46M Loss
United - $306M Loss

Uhh, better check those numbers again for AA. You overstated it a bit.

First thing - you incorrectly use the term "operating loss." That generally refers to the results prior to interest paid or earned. Most of the numbers you posted are actually the net losses, not operating losses. Most airlines actually had positive operating income for the first quarter - except, of course, Northwest. Since you used the net loss (excluding special items and excluding reorg items) for NW (which is different from the "operating loss,") I'll repost the net loss numbers plus links:

AMR: $92 million net loss http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060419/daw013.html?.v=53
CAL: $46 million net loss http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060420/dath016.html?.v=50
UAL: $306 million net loss http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060508/nym052.html?.v=43

...Tell me bean counter out of those 30K or so people how many give a crap about me or my family?
Bite me!!!!
There are a few that care, I hear them talk everyday. Just not enough to walk away from their jobs.

We were on the employee bus heading to the parking lot, Ramper was talking about how if they struck it would shut Northwest down. AMFA Scab says, "No you won't because me and a bunch of other Mechanics will throw bags for you with a vengeance." :lol: :lol:

There are a few that care, I hear them talk everyday. Just not enough to walk away from their jobs.

We were on the employee bus heading to the parking lot, Ramper was talking about how if they struck it would shut Northwest down. AMFA Scab says, "No you won't because me and a bunch of other Mechanics will throw bags for you with a vengeance." :lol: :lol:
What? A high and mighty AMFA mechanic willing to "lower himself" to throw bags? Say it isn't so. Didn't AMFA always preach that they were far superior to the "ramp apes" and "knuckle draggers"? Maybe someone could take a picture and have AMFA post it on their website. :up:

What? A high and mighty AMFA mechanic willing to "lower himself" to throw bags? Say it isn't so. Didn't AMFA always preach that they were far superior to the "ramp apes" and "knuckle draggers"?...

I don't know about all of that but I do know that the AMFA Scabs are furious with the Rampers for performing struck work. I don't think he really cares to throw bags but is more interested in payback for the ramp Scabbing his struck work. Unions pitted against unions, and you guys really expect to survive. The companies will destroy you, then you will eat your own dead. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would also like to add that I read that there are about 5,600 ramp service people at NWA. I believe that there are about 800 to 1000 scab mechanics currently on the NWA property. It would be fun to watch 800 to 1000 scab mechanics trying do the work of 5,600 ramp people in addition to doing their own jobs of maintaining the fleet; now that would really be performing for "the man".