Northwest Airlines Reports Fourth Quarter Results

Paul

Veteran
Nov 15, 2005
Northwest Airlines (OTC: NWACQ) today said it realized a net loss of $1.3 billion during the fourth quarter of 2005. This compares to a net loss of $434 million in the fourth quarter of 2004. Excluding reorganization and other unusual items, Northwest reported a fourth quarter 2005 net loss of $387 million versus a fourth quarter 2004 net loss of $373 million.

For the full year 2005, Northwest reported a net loss of $2.6 billion. This compares to a net loss of $891 million for 2004. Excluding reorganization and other unusual items, Northwest reported a full year 2005 net loss of $1.4 billion versus a full year 2004 net loss of $726 million.

Northwest remains focused on its plan to realize $2.5 billion in annual business improvements in order to return the company to profitability on a sustained basis. The restructuring plan is centered on three goals:

(1) resizing and optimization of the airline's fleet to better serve Northwest's markets

(2) realizing competitive labor and non-labor costs

(3) restructuring and recapitalization of the airline's balance sheet

PR Newswire

Northwest Airlines (OTC: NWACQ) today said it realized a net loss of $1.3 billion during the fourth quarter of 2005. This compares to a net loss of $434 million in the fourth quarter of 2004. Excluding reorganization and other unusual items, Northwest reported a fourth quarter 2005 net loss of $387 million versus a fourth quarter 2004 net loss of $373 million.

For the full year 2005, Northwest reported a net loss of $2.6 billion. This compares to a net loss of $891 million for 2004. Excluding reorganization and other unusual items, Northwest reported a full year 2005 net loss of $1.4 billion versus a full year 2004 net loss of $726 million.

Northwest remains focused on its plan to realize $2.5 billion in annual business improvements in order to return the company to profitability on a sustained basis. The restructuring plan is centered on three goals:

(1) resizing and optimization of the airline's fleet to better serve Northwest's markets

(2) realizing competitive labor and non-labor costs

(3) restructuring and recapitalization of the airline's balance sheet

PR Newswire
Is this supposed to be surprising? The losses are incredible. These are triple losses. The MAC put out a nice statement regarding alternatives at the airport if NWA leaves or vacates? Do you read between the lines here about how bad things are really getting? IMHO, the money the F/As are giving in cuts, and the pilots, are merely to provide the golden parachutes and pensions for the people at the top when the airline goes under. Notice, also, NWA didn't reply to the MAC statement either. Void, nil, nothing. These leftover employees are giving Dougie, and the rest of the bunch, a nice vacation home somewhere, while the Ceo's are thinking about the next recourse for voiding pensions, healthcare. Believe me, this is only for starters what these employees are walking themselves into.

I've got the solution, Hire more SCABS !
I guess the amount this sorry company is paying for SCAB labor is buried in the "unusual" items column somewhere....Pathetic

I've got the solution, Hire more SCABS !
I guess the amount this sorry company is paying for SCAB labor is buried in the "unusual" items column somewhere....Pathetic
Well said. The most important part is, though, that they ARE paying!