Northwest Dropping Jfk-nrt

Cosmo

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Not a good omen ...

Northwest is dropping its nonstop JFK-NRT service on October 2 (see this press release), leaving the nonstop market to AA, UA, JL and NH (plus CO from EWR). The B747-400 used on this major business route will be switched to the carrier's LAX-NRT flight, replacing a B747-200.

Expedia's showing AA and UA at a bit over $800 round trip. With a full cabin can they make any profit off this route?

Given that the equipment flown on that route is a 2 class layout as compared to UA or AA which use smaller planes with 3 class layout I do believe the majority of seats on nw's flights are low yield...

I don't think the fares on JFKNRT are as much of a problem as the fact that the 744 is the only plane that NW can use to fly the route. UA and AA both use 777s which is probably the right size for a market with 4 US flag carriers (including CO from EWR) plus a growing number of foreign flags from JFK to other Asian destinations. I've met a number of international students (esp. Chinese) from the eastern US that have been routed on NW via JFK so it's obvious they are pricing at the bottom of the barrel in order to fill the plane.

Also, this is indicative of the shortage of long-haul equipment in NW's fleet. Since this 744 is going to replace the 742 on LAXNRT, it says the 742 has no place in passenger service.

I've got to believe DL has got to be considering flying this route now, esp. if they agree to codesharing beyond NRT w/ NW - something that is currently not done because of the Korean relationship. Not being able to put their code on NYCNRT is a big hole in DL's route network. Also, DL has plenty of traffic into JFK to feed this flight, something NW does not have; DL has more connecting service and a stronger commitment to JFK than they did pre-9/11 when DL operated this route w/ an MD11.

DL's 777s make much more sense flying a route like this than NW's 744. I fully expect that DL is talking w/ NW about serving this route starting in the spring.

They'd also need to get route authority from DOT, which may or may not be easy given their track record in starting and then stopping routes to Japan...

Makes you wonder if NW's decision to buy A330's only instead of some A340 was wise? Had NW had A340 now they could just put a smaller plane on the route. Jal still flies with 744 and ANA went from what had to be the world's most luxurious 744 to a 777-300ER.

Delta flying from JFK to NRT with 777's is : only a dream. Delta only has seven 777's, who knows if they will be sold to keep DL flying, they could go to say AA who needs more 777's. AA & DL fly RR 777, with AA's new routes to India, Nagoya and Osaka this could happen. The only route Delta really needsfor is Atlanta to Nrt, I have to woner how much longer that will continue.

operaations said:
let us pray AA can gett that route
[post="297947"][/post]​

Uh, AA already flies JFK-NRT, and has for a couple of years now. They're #3 from the mainland US to Japan (CO might be #3 if you include Guam and the Marianas).

WorldTraveler said:
DL's 777s make much more sense flying a route like this than NW's 744. I fully expect that DL is talking w/ NW about serving this route starting in the spring.
[post="297872"][/post]​

I hope you are wrong. That would be an antitrust violation.

Delta and Northwest are NOT the same company.

Don't let the facts get in your way.