Northwest Mechanics Sue Airline Over Talks

Decision 2004

Veteran
Mar 12, 2004
Northwest Mechanics Sue Airline Over Talks
Thursday January 13, 4:57 pm ET
Northwest Mechanics Sue Airline Over Having Observers Present During Contract Talks

MINNEAPOLIS -- Mechanics at Northwest Airlines Corp. sued the company on Thursday, seeking federal help in a dispute over having observers present during contract talks.
The union said the Railway Labor Act gives it the right to have a limited number of rank-and-file members watch the negotiations. Northwest objects, saying the observers hamper the talks, and has asked federal mediators to step in.

The two sides last met on Wednesday, with Eagan-based Northwest abandoning the talks over the issue.

"We are asking the court to stop this illegal interference and to direct Northwest to return to the bargaining table," Jeff Mathews, the national contract coordinator for the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association, said in a news release.

The suit was filed in U.S. District Court in Minneapolis, where Northwest's flight attendants sued last month over the same issue.

In a letter of response, Northwest vice president of labor relations Julie Hagen Showers said the mechanics' union chose "to grandstand in front of its members" at Wednesday's session, bringing more than twice the usual number of observers.

The disputes come as Northwest is seeking $950 million in annual labor savings it says it needs to compete against low-cost carriers. Pilots last fall agreed to a 15 percent pay cut.

Northwest shares fell 32 cents to close at $8.15 Thursday on the Nasdaq Stock Market, about $1 above their 52-week low of $7.09.

sounds like NW is pissed because they can't make the same back door deals that the other Unions do, like TWU and IAM.......hmmmm!

I think NW has a "power" struggle going on. What better way to enter negotiations than to have already disected the opponents constitution? I hope AMFA does well with their suit.

seed said:
I think NW has a "power" struggle going on. What better way to enter negotiations than to have already disected the opponents constitution?  I hope AMFA does well with their suit.
[post="238983"][/post]​

Which would you rather have seed? A "power struggle" fighting to preserve wages and benefits or a "bed wetting" giving away 50 years of negotiated wages and benefits without membership ratification?

Decision 2004 said:
bal bla bla bla bla
[post="239003"][/post]​

check this out!

Name: "Tex" of the TWU
Email:
Employer: AA
Station: DFW
Date: Wednesday January 12, 2005
Time: 08:22:03 PM
Comments

This is picture of a United Airlines 777 that we are doing the return to leaser check, the company that owns the airplane contracted AA and negotiated the contract for the check. I don't think they wanted AMFA mechanics to do the work. Hey United mechanics what happened to "full pay till the last day" ? Seems you softened your position once again. What a bargaining powerhouse!!! The TWU keeping its members employed!

Attachments

• TWU_at_Work.jpg
    TWU_at_Work.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 233
Decision 2004 said:
Which would you rather have seed? A "power struggle" fighting to preserve wages and benefits or a "bed wetting" giving away 50 years of negotiated wages and benefits without membership ratification?
[post="239003"][/post]​

Decision, I believe power struggles are occurring throughout our profession. Ever notice when involved in a conversation with an opponent, he/she might lay a hand on your shoulder to get their point across, that is a power move. That is a control move. NW's action against the AMFA observers was nothing more than a sign of times to come.

Not sure where you are going with this "bed wetting" image, but I believe it best to wait for an AMFA win decision before slinging to much mud at the TWU. We are all in a battle here, keeping yourself worked up over past issues is non productive.

This is not and should not be a forum to keep score of union losses. Our profession is under attack, why provide a mutiny for the enemy to enjoy?

Strake said:
check this out! 

Name:  "Tex" of the TWU
Email:
Comments

This is picture of a United Airlines 777 that we are doing the return to leaser check, the company that owns the airplane contracted AA and negotiated the contract for the check. I don't think they wanted AMFA mechanics to do the work. Hey United mechanics what happened to "full pay till the last day" ?  Seems you softened your position once again.  What a bargaining powerhouse!!!  The TWU keeping its members employed!
[post="239005"][/post]​

Yeah, you must be real proud of the fact that the twu has lowered AMT's wages and benefits below the cost of a 3rd party contractor. You of course are fully aware that this plane belonged to a leasing company who has the right to choose who they want to do the work, they chose the cheapest, they chose AA.

Just wondering what all those guys are doing out of their work area for the picture, almost all of them don't work on that dock???????

Strake said:
check this out!

Email:
Comments

This is picture of a United Airlines 777 that we are doing the return to leaser check, the company that owns the airplane contracted AA and negotiated the contract for the check. I don't think they wanted AMFA mechanics to do the work. Hey United mechanics what happened to "full pay till the last day" ? Seems you softened your position once again. What a bargaining powerhouse!!! The TWU keeping its members employed!
[post="239005"][/post]​

and you are all 'proud' to do this?

F@(K you all, next 777/747 goes to China!!!

F@(King scab labor Morons!!!

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›

Most of those people in the picture aren't even mechanics! :down: Joseph Groebels would be proud of the TWU propaganda machine.

Strake said:
check this out!

Email:
Comments

[post="239005"][/post]​

Why would I 'ever' recommend my Brothers and Sisters to fall on their sword for such a bunch of contemptious back stabbing scabs?

Unionism is dead and now we have the 'Poster Picture' to prove it!!!

I'll vote this POS TA in front of us at UAL in just like my 'proud' back stabbing/ scabbing family. :rant:

What a sad group of.................. 'people?'
:angry: UT

BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lets SUE the ones that feed us BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it takes great minds like dAAve stewart to think up something like that BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!! :down:
i think Ms. Showers hit the nail on the head...."the mechanics are GRANDSTANDING in front of their members" what else can they do??? their little"O"dell has flew the coop & they can't find him....O, he flew the coop after this little back trackin' "foot draggin" statement. what is that word "concessionary"
WHAT????????? OMG do you believe??? O'SCABMASTER dAAve it isn't what i think.
OBTW did y'all see the pix of 777? just askin'..i have it if y'all don't ;) plz READ on

AMFA ANNOUNCES TENTATIVE "concessionary"
AGREEMENT WITH UNITED AIRLINES!

CHICAGO, January 7, 2005 – The Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA) announced that, in accordance with the bankruptcy court-mandated section 1113c process, a tentative concessionary agreement was reached today by the contract negotiators representing AMFA and United Airlines.

AMFA will now submit the tentative agreement to its United Airlines membership, who will vote within 7-10 days on whether to ratify the tentative agreement, according to AMFA National Director O.V. Delle-Femine. No details will be disclosed until AMFA's United Airlines members have had time to read the tentative agreement.

AMFA's craft union represents aircraft maintenance technicians and related support personnel at Alaska Airlines, ATA, Horizon Airlines, Independence Airlines, Mesaba Airlines, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines and United Airlines. AMFA's credo is "Safety in the air begins with quality maintenance on the ground." (Unless it's Alaska Airlines Flight 261, then it ends in the water!).

was that really in the paper? (i am sure you have an explaination,another LIBERAL,LYING,newspaper)

ah yes the "MASTER PLAN" is out little kenny has revealed it. uh,huh all 8 of amfa(PUKE) represented airlines will have all their contracts come due the same time & then they will strike 'em ..bring 'em to their knees!!!! but, o wait how many are in BK????? OMG i forgot about that!!!does amfa(PUKE) have that many mechs. left?? i mean they've gotten RID of 10,000+ M&R's!! what now O' SCABMASTER? quick, don't turn your back on us now....check this out ;)

AFL/CIO/ATD/TWU=UNION=SCABFREE!!!!!!! :up:

Strake said:
check this out!

Email:
Comments

[post="239005"][/post]​
Any questions about what a scab is now? Or looks like?

Strake, tell me that pic is a joke! What is the point your trying to make here? If this is the direction that the twu leadership is taking its members on and every other union in this country jumped on the band wagon of undercutting their competitions labor rates where will your wages be in ten years. Pull your head out of your bunghole idiot.

Why is united Mechanic's allowing the work to go outside the country? I thought they rejected a letter not to long ago. Do the negotiators not work for the members?

I also was under the impression United mechanics changed Unions to make a point? What was it?

Checking it Out said:
Why is united Mechanic's allowing the work to go outside the country? I thought they rejected a letter not to long ago. Do the negotiators not work for the members?

I also was under the impression United mechanics changed Unions to make a point? What was it?
[post="239121"][/post]​

Why dont you explain why the components from the AA CF6-80c2A5 engine are done outside the country? Check out G.E. in Singapore for more info.

Why dont you hold your own union to same standards that you wish to hold AMFA?

The point was, the members elect their National Reps, the members ratify agreements, the members can re-call officers, the members are in control. Instead you and the TWU, have an appointed Exec. VP, an appointed AA system coordinator, and numerous unelected appointed Int'l Representatives.

What is the point in your continued support of the TWU? You enjoy working for the largest carrier with the lowest average pay and benefit package? AA's average pay and benefit package is STILL lower than those of the BK carriers. That is the POINT! You probably complain about Walmart, while you support the same principles within the airline industry.

Checking it Out said:

[post="239121"][/post]​

Because the AFL-CIO / IAM negotiated it that way........