Northwest Paid Firm Before Ch. 11 Filing

Fly

Veteran
Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AP
Northwest Paid Firm Before Ch. 11 Filing
Friday June 16, 6:04 pm ET
By Joshua Freed, AP Business Writer
Northwest Paid Bankruptcy Law Firm Almost $1M for Expenses 5 Months Before Filing for Chapter 11

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Five months before Northwest Airlines Corp. filed for Chapter 11 protection, it paid its lead bankruptcy law firm almost $1 million for bankruptcy expenses, according to a court filing by the airline.

It's common for companies considering bankruptcy to get legal advice in advance. But Northwest's payments came when executives said bankruptcy was a risk, but not a certainty, and were using the threat of bankruptcy to pressure workers to take concessions.

On April 7, 2005, Northwest made three payments totaling $974,940 to Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft, its lead bankruptcy counsel, for bankruptcy-related services, according to a court filing the airline made late Thursday.

Nineteen days later Chairman Gary L. Wilson established a plan for selling his shares in the company. When the sales began in May, the company said Wilson was selling so he could diversify his holdings, and declined to release the trading plan filed in April. Throughout the summer and lasting until a few weeks before the Sept. 14 bankruptcy filing, Wilson sold nearly all his stake for $21.3 million.

A shareholder lawsuit filed in December accused Wilson, Chief Executive Doug Steenland, former director Al Checchi and former Chief Financial Officer Bernie Han of selling stock when they had nonpublic information about Northwest's bankruptcy plans.

Northwest declined to comment Friday on why it began paying Cadwalader five months before its bankruptcy filing, and declined to say when it made the decision to file for bankruptcy.

It disclosed the payments in a bankruptcy court filing called a "statement of financial affairs" late Thursday. In addition to listing creditors, the 1,659-page document requires bankrupt companies to list payments "for consultation concerning debt consolidation, relief under the bankruptcy law or preparation of a petition in bankruptcy within one year" before filing.

Northwest paid $12.1 million to legal and consulting firms for bankruptcy expenses throughout the summer until it filed for bankruptcy protection on Sept. 14.

Northwest warned for months in advance of filing for bankruptcy that it was in serious trouble. In its March 2005 newsletter, Steenland warned that unless the airline can return to profitability, "at some point we will have no other option but to seek protection under Chapter 11."

But the company also portrayed bankruptcy as avoidable. When it reported a $458 million loss on April 21, Steenland said Northwest would be "well-positioned for the future" if it got the labor cost cuts it was seeking.

The shareholder lawsuit accuses Northwest officials of failing to disclose that the bankruptcy filing "was unavoidable and imminent" and that a Chapter 11 filing was "a strategy that defendants had adopted at least as early as April 2005 because they viewed bankruptcy reorganization as the only way to dump the crushing burden of Northwest's pension obligations" on the federal agency that guarantees pensions.

A spokesman for the firm that brought the lawsuit, Milberg Weiss, said the attorneys involved were not available to comment Friday.

Lowell Peterson, a bankruptcy expert with the law firm of Meyer Suozzi English & Klein in New York, said two or three months before a filing is a more common timeframe to hire a bankruptcy attorney.

"Five months is long, but it's not unusual for a company to retain bankruptcy counsel some time before filing," he said. "Even before it's decided to file, just to get some advice on what that would entail."

Bankruptcies are never a knee-jerk decision, said Minneapolis bankruptcy attorney George Singer.

"The larger and more complex cases require more planning and forethought, and Northwest is no exception," he said.

Northwest Airlines Corp.: www.nwa.com

Fly, you beat me to the punch on adding this topic to the forum. As more of the shady dealings of NWA's executive management team come to light, we can only hope that justice will be served to all involved - including jail time (and everything that comes with it... :mf_boff: )

Sweet, so they were training scabs, dumping stock, and hiring lawyers to prepare for BK.
Isn’t this the American way?
So, who profited in this ‘plan’?
Stockholders (Nyet)
Bond Holders (Nyet)
Employees of the ‘How’s the ESOP working class?’ (Nyet)
Executives? (Yup!! They made out like the stinking Rats they are)

Sound familiar?

Companies today exist to enhance the ‘Executive Class’.
Talk about 'Unions', these robber barons have the inside ability to manipulate perception into reality.

Get used to it! It will not change until 'we' make it change!

B) UT

i was gonna say Martha Stewart. How about ENRON? This sounds like the entire mgmt team needs some prison terms ranging beyond 10 yrs

Come on now guys, everyone just ease those guns back into their holsters, and just simmer down now.

I'm quite sure finman has a "plausible" explanation for all of this.......... :unsure:

:D :lol: ok ThirdSeatHero! my guns are back in its holster now! I shall await the truth from finman!
I'm thinking Dougie Stealin and his Cohort Conehead should have to spend the summer at Neverland <whatever it's called> with Jocko.... All the bad apples in one basket. Then send in Bubba for the Deep pinch.
finman = WT of NW, will have no problem explaning this, as well, as why the Ice Ball Theory won't work in 100k years.

Sweet, so they were training scabs, dumping stock, and hiring lawyers to prepare for BK.
Isn’t this the American way?
So, who profited in this ‘plan’?
Stockholders (Nyet)
Bond Holders (Nyet)
Employees of the ‘How’s the ESOP working class?’ (Nyet)
Executives? (Yup!! They made out like the stinking Rats they are)

Sound familiar?

Companies today exist to enhance the ‘Executive Class’.
Talk about 'Unions', these robber barons have the inside ability to manipulate perception into reality.

Get used to it! It will not change until 'we' make it change!

B) UT

According to TWU International rep Bobby Gless there are no longer any Robber Barons, todays executives are just a bunch of honest businessmen trying to deal with a harsh new reality called Capitalism.

According to TWU International rep Bobby Gless there are no longer any Robber Barons, todays executives are just a bunch of honest businessmen trying to deal with a harsh new reality called Capitalism.

No more Robber Barons?
No more carpet baggers?
sm066_overnight_bag.jpg

Now we call them 'honest businessmen' :mf_boff:

Take Care,
B) UT

Or is it the new 'globalization' mantra wherein all 'commerce' will be distributed equally to share the wealth across the globe.

Here is some of the 'globalization' love that will be given us all in short order.

iPod 'slave' claims investigated

Excerpt:

The report said that at a different factory, in Suzhou near Shanghai, which makes the iPod shuffle, workers were paid £54 per month - but that half of that went on accommodation and food within the factory complex.

According to the Mail on Sunday, women rather than men were employed on the production line.

Apple is one of thousands of companies that has outsourced manufacturing to China where labour costs are low.

IPods carry the text: "Designed in California, Made in China".

B) UT

:D :lol: ok ThirdSeatHero! my guns are back in its holster now! I shall await the truth from finman!
I guess that means I have to give my two cents on this topic again.

From what I can gather, you guys are upset about two things from this article:
1) NWA hired bankruptcy attorneys prior to the date of the bankruptcy filing.

2)Owners of NWA stock sold their stock prior to NWA filing for bankruptcy during a period of time when bankrupcty was a serious possiblility, but not yet a certainty. (And, of course, this possibility was widely known in the investment community at large)

As for 1), who cares. Maybe you guys aren't concerned about that one, because it would be silly to think that there isn't a lot of legal planning that goes into a decision like this one.

As for 2), again, who cares. They sold their stock when all major investors were selling NWA stock, because it was a severely stressed company on the brink of bancruptcy.

I find neither of these items all that interesting or germaine to the current situation. You guys can hand-wring and cry all you want about these non-issues. I try to focus my attention on the things that actually matter in the effort to making NWA a great airline again.

I find neither of these items all that interesting or germaine to the current situation. You guys can hand-wring and cry all you want about these non-issues. I try to focus my attention on the things that actually matter in the effort to making NWA a great airline again.

Yea, good luck with that.... :p
Peace and have a good life.