Northwest to JFK

JetClipper

Advanced
May 2, 2004
Here’s a question I’m hoping against hope that can be answered/discussed without degenerating into the whole AFA-AMFA-NWA dogfight.

I read the other day that United is following Northwest in discontinuing JFK-NRT service. Given that, and the fact that KLM seems to have taken-over JFK-AMS for good, why does NWA continue to fly to JFK? The 6/8 schedule lists three flights a day to each DTW and MSP. Is there some draw that would make travelers want to use JFK instead of EWR or LGA? I’m not from NYC, so I can’t answer that question myself.

My guess is that NW continues flying to JFK so that they can retain their landing rights and gate slots there, which are very valuable commodities.

JFK is considered to be the premier airport in New York, and NW is holding on to its position there for either their own future use, or to use it as a "prize" for a potential merger partner.

All of the above mentioned reasons are valid ones...I also think that JFK is maybe one of those airports a carrier "has" to serve, kind of like MIA, SFO, and LAX...

All of the above mentioned reasons are valid ones...I also think that JFK is maybe one of those airports a carrier "has" to serve, kind of like MIA, SFO, and LAX...

Why? The largest domestic carrier does not fly there, MIA or SFO? Point being unless your feeding overseas why fly there? EWR or LGA is the customer choice for domestic. And more foreign airlines are going EWR instead of JFK for expansion

Here’s a question I’m hoping against hope that can be answered/discussed without degenerating into the whole AFA-AMFA-NWA dogfight.

I read the other day that United is following Northwest in discontinuing JFK-NRT service. Given that, and the fact that KLM seems to have taken-over JFK-AMS for good, why does NWA continue to fly to JFK? The 6/8 schedule lists three flights a day to each DTW and MSP. Is there some draw that would make travelers want to use JFK instead of EWR or LGA? I’m not from NYC, so I can’t answer that question myself.

NW has stated that once delivery of new airbus start that
type of aircraft will be used to restart up JFKNRT service. That is what they say now. Also JFK is in the
group of 40 stations keeping active employees.