[TD class=a colSpan=3][/TD][/TR][BR]
[TR height=5][BR]
[TD colSpan=3][FONT size=2][/FONT][/TD][/TR][BR]
[TR vAlign=top][BR]
[TD width=550][BR]
[TABLE width=100%][BR]
[TBODY][BR]
[TR]
[TD noWrap align=middle][FONT size=2][/FONT][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE][FONT size=2][SPAN class=t]Detroit Metro Airport Soars in Passenger Satisfaction[/SPAN] [BR][SPAN class=t2]- Newer airport facilities & friendlier focus attributed to improvement[/SPAN] [BR][SPAN class=tt]Thursday October 10, 5:19 pm ET[/SPAN] [/FONT][BR][BR][FONT size=2][/FONT][BR]
[DIV class=ar][FONT size=2]DETROIT, Oct. 10 /PRNewswire/ -- A survey of over 10,000 airline passengers around the world conducted by J.D. Power and Associates indicates that passenger satisfaction at Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport has skyrocketed over previous surveys. [/FONT][BR][BR][BR]
[TABLE cellSpacing=4 cellPadding=4 align=left border=0][BR]
[TBODY][BR]
[TR][BR]
[TD][FONT size=2][/FONT][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE][FONT size=2]Only Las Vegas McCarran scored higher than Detroit Metro among large (over 30 million passengers) U.S. airports. Detroit was tied for second place with Minneapolis and Phoenix. [/FONT][BR][BR][FONT size=2]This is a tremendous boost for us, said Airport Authority CEO Lester Robinson. While customer service improvements have been made in the past, such as information centers, customer service training, information agents, renovated rest rooms, expanded curb fronts and the like, we could not overcome the limitations of aging and overcrowded facilities. These results show the vast impact of our new facilities. Even today, a woman from Oregon, riding on our terminal's new express tram, told me how much she enjoys the new terminal and will book her future flights through Detroit. [/FONT][BR][BR][FONT size=2]Just within the last year, Detroit Metro Airport has added: a new primary runway, giving Detroit one of the most powerful airfields in the world; a convenient new entrance road, providing direct access to the airport from two different interstate highways; and a beautiful and efficient new 97-gate terminal with 65 attractive shops and restaurants. [/FONT][BR][BR][FONT size=2]While we are extremely pleased with these results, we know we still have room for improvement, and we are not slowing down, said Robinson. Our new Wayne County Airport Authority is now up and running and has already made a big impact in operating our airport more like a business. Under the new authority's leadership, we have improved the convenience and efficiency of our on-airport parking program and reduced the majority of our parking rates. A huge new [STRONG]Northwest Airlines 747 / A330 maintenance hangar [/STRONG]is currently under construction, which promises to improve the reliability and on-time performance for flights out of Detroit, especially on wide-body, international routes. Plans are also underway for a massive renovation of the former Davey Terminal area for carriers not operating out of the new McNamara Terminal. [/FONT][BR][BR][FONT size=2]These projects and others, combined with our employees' sincere and heartfelt interest in the experience of our customers, will allow us to maintain and improve the satisfaction ratings we see here, said Robinson. The sky is the limit for us here in Detroit, and we are committed to providing our customers with the type of best-in-class experience which they deserve. [/FONT][BR][BR][FONT size=2]Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport is undergoing one of the most dramatic transformations of any airport anywhere. In addition to the new [STRONG]97- gate Northwest World Gateway[/STRONG], the airport has also recently opened a new 10,000 ft. runway, and a new airport south access road (John Dingell Dr.) providing a second primary entrance to the airport off of another major area interstate highway (I-275). With the creation of the new Wayne County Airport Authority, and future terminal projects planned, Metro Airport is quickly positioning itself as one of the finest air transportation gateways in the world. [/FONT][BR][BR][FONT size=2]A copy of the J.D. Power and Associates 2002 Global Airport Satisfaction Study news release can be obtained by visiting [/FONT][A href=http://www.jdpa.com/][FONT size=2]www.jdpa.com[/FONT][/A][FONT size=2] [/FONT][BR][BR][FONT size=2][/FONT][BR][BR][FONT size=2][/FONT][/DIV][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE]

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/11/2002 1:45:28 AM Blueskies/400 UpperDeck wrote:

[DIV class=ar][FONT size=2]DETROIT, Oct. 10 /PRNewswire/ -- A survey of over 10,000 airline passengers around the world conducted by J.D. Power and Associates indicates that passenger satisfaction at Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport has skyrocketed over previous surveys. [/FONT]
----------------
[/blockquote]

What?! I'm stunned that those queried didn't prefer the urban bus depot ambience of the old terminal!

This news flash falls squarely into the well, duh! category...

Definitely a well duh article. The only thing I can think of...first hard freeze is expected in the next 3 days, snow is not far behind -- think they are getting nervous yet? LOL

Oh PLEASE ! !

The new McNamara terminal should not even be considered in this unless the 2 older terminals are included too.

I just left DTW tonight and flew out of the old Smith terminal. What a piece of S#@$%T facility, from security to departure gates.

Why not demolish both of those old terminals and move every airline into the new one? Or doesn't NW want to share?

I'm not looking forward to flying back there on Monday.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/12/2002 12:17:22 AM trvlr64 wrote:

Oh PLEASE ! !

The new McNamara terminal should not even be considered in this unless the 2 older terminals are included too.

I just left DTW tonight and flew out of the old Smith terminal. What a piece of S#@$%T facility, from security to departure gates.

Why not demolish both of those old terminals and move every airline into the new one? Or doesn't NW want to share?

----------------
[/blockquote]
Talk about well...duh! Next time fly Northwest and you won't have to deal with the old terminal. You get what you pay for.

I'm not looking forward to flying back there on Monday.[BR][BR]Our (NWA) pax LOVE flying through Detroit! We do share our new WorldGateway...with KLM, Cont., and soon Delta! Take a walk through the tunnel for an out of body experience! Very NEW AGE! The walls float...very soothing.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/12/2002 12:17:22 AM trvlr64 wrote:
Oh PLEASE ! !

---------------
[/blockquote]

Well unless you were flying Southwest or Spirit...just skip Detroit and fly out of Toledo or Flint instead. No old crappy terminal, no long lines, and cheap fares. :)

Naturally they didn't include the experience that pax on other airlines not intimately connected with Northwest experience. At least they will be getting a new terminal as well soon, albeit not much bigger than what they have now. My question is - how do the pax feel about getting gouged for airport fees regardless of what airline they are on, so that Northwest can pay for demolishing and rebuilding an entire concourse of a terminal that is less than 9 months old? That's what peeves me about DTW now - I can fly out on AA, WN, UA, US, etc, but I still have to pay for NW's pathetically poor planning, and help pay for even more for them. If they wanted to change things, let them pay for it themselves. Don't charge me or other pax on other airlines.

I guess you felt the same way when UAL and the City of Chicago built their new Terminal at O'Hare years ago. And yes, NWA remained in the old crappy part of O'Hare. The argument is pretty much the same for many other hubs. Northwest has done nothing it's competitors haven't done. It is your choice to fly out of Detroit on one of the airlines that fly out of the old terminal. Just like it is the choice of NWA paxs that choose to fly out of that old run down terminal at O'Hare. AHHH but those beautiful new babes (terminals) at DTW, MSP...and soon NRT (opening in Jan.03)!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/15/2002 4:53:09 PM Blueskies/400 UpperDeck wrote:

AHHH but those beautiful new babes (terminals) at DTW, MSP...
----------------
[/blockquote]

Gives your pax a nice place to sleep during those snow storms (or anytime your CAT II jets can't takeoff)
3.gif']

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/15/2002 4:53:09 PM Blueskies/400 UpperDeck wrote:

I guess you felt the same way when UAL and the City of Chicago built their new Terminal at O'Hare years ago.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Absolutely. The airport fees should go only to the general operation of the airport. The cost of the terminals should come directly from the lease fees assigned to airlines. That way, an airline with better facilities should be charged accordingly. If the airline wants to pay for new construction themselves, more power to them.

With regards to DTW particularly, I have less of a problem with the airport fees going to pay for the NW terminal, as the other airlines are getting a new terminal as well (granted several years later, but this was really the only way to manage the project). What I object to is that because NW handled their terminal so poorly, they are going to have to demolish part of it already and rebuild, and the rest of the airlines will be paying for NW's mistake.

No matter how you cut it, that ain't right....

Don't agree with it? Then vote with your wallet. If you are flying American, Delta, or US Airways use Toledo. Flying Midwest Express use Flint. Of course you can always use ATA or AirTran (FNT only) as an alternative to Spirit and some Southwest routes from TOL or FNT. Last but not least if you are flying Northwest or Continental...check the fares from TOL or FNT, they will likely be lower in many cases instead of flying out of DTW. Of course you need to connect...but there is that money savings to factor in. Of course i'm still figuring out how Northwest is able to fill 2 727-200s on their kick off flights from FNT to DTW. LOL

For what it's worth, I've been flying 9's out of DTW for three years now, and I've never seen weather that was bad enough to ground 9's without grounding everyone else as well. Also, the improvements at DTW include a lot more than the terminals. Except for DIA, I can't think of another airport that can operate two departure runways and two landing runways at the same time, with no land and hold short ops, and no runway crossings on the taxi in or taxi out. It makes for some long taxi's but it also makes for a very safe operation with much reduced opp. for runway incursions.

Oh Busdrvr: Man you must be really board! I encourage you again my brother in aviation; try to encourage instead of being ugly. Why be mean? Is life that bad? I bet you can be an encourager! Come on give it a try! I believe in you.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/16/2002 12:57:20 PM nwa400 wrote:

Oh Busdrvr: Man you must be really board! I encourage you again my brother in aviation; try to encourage instead of being ugly. Why be mean? Is life that bad? I bet you can be an encourager! Come on give it a try! I believe in you.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Lighten up Francis!! Can't i poke a little fun without it being mean[img src='http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/images/smilies/11.gif']