Not So Hot

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Not so Hot

ARLINGTON (theHub.com) - An article in the Money section of today’s USA Today attempts to sum up the state of affairs in the airline industry, comparing the plight of mature network carriers to the low-cost competition. Although December passenger traffic shows that passenger demand has finally returned to pre-September 2001 levels, profits will take longer to materialize for large network carriers, according to the article. This is good news for low-cost carriers with low operating costs but “hardly a formula for profitability for the USA's big airlines,â€￾ according to Stan Pace, Bain & Co.'s head of aviation consulting and former president of American Trans Air. "The mix of traffic, business-to-leisure, is not back to where it was. And we think it is fundamentally changed and won't go back. It's a profitless recovery," says Pace.

Despite the economic recovery, business travelers continue to be more price conscious, and the growth of low-cost carriers means they have more options, according to the article. This is resulting in continuing losses for large U.S. carriers and continuing profits for low-cost carriers. "The economy is recovering, but business travelers are not going back to their old behavior," Pace says. "Instead of booking 30 to 40 percent of their travel on discount fares, as they did before the economy fell, they're now booking 60 to 70 percent of their business travel at discount fares.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

It is an almost impossible task to compete against the two-tier structure emerging in the industry today. The legecy carriers continue to fly unprofitablely to small and mid size cities, while the low cost carriers pick the low hanging fruit by flying cheaply to big cities. I think that Dave recognizes this, and is at least trying to correct it and find a way to profit doing it. The problem is sometimes it can be hard to change the way we do business...

Interesting...just recently I walked my last pax(excuse me Piney Bob).....customer off the airplane., He told me what a wonderful flight he had and how cheap his ticket was. He said he could not believe he was on 4 airplaines for a total of $264.00. He went from PVD-Clt-Tmp and back. 4 different plane rides...That is $68. a ride. Hell, a bus would cost you more and a hell of a lot more time. :huh: