Now Ual Needs The Loan?

HGIEFOswitch

Nov 5, 2003
It appears UAL now needs the loan. They said earlier they didn't. Who's commanding this ship????

CHICAGO (Reuters) - UAL Corp.'s (OTC BB:UALAQ.OB - News) United Airlines on Friday was granted another month to reorganize itself without interference from creditors as it pursues a federal loan guarantee to secure $2 billion in exit financing.

United Airlines was given "exclusivity" until July 30 to organize its own emergence from bankruptcy, U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Eugene Wedoff said in court in Chicago.

The ruling comes a day after a crushing decision by the Air Transportation Stabilization Board to reject United's bid for a federal loan guarantee for a second time, though two members of the three-member panel said they might reconsider the matter and the third reserved his decision.

Shares of UAL were down 15.25 percent at $1.25, after falling 29 percent earlier in the New York Stock Exchange session.

United, the No. 2 U.S. airline, shortened its request for an extension to one month from three months, saying it expected to conclude within a few days its negotiations for a federal loan guarantee. Judge Wedoff commented that he was only planning to offer the one-month extension anyway.

The company said it sent a letter to the panel on Friday accepting the invitation to reapply.

"We intend to take them up on that offer and we don't think that the process will last very long -- days, not weeks," Jake Brace, the airline's chief financial officer, said following the bankruptcy court hearing.

Brace reiterated the company's view that the stabilization board, when it rejected United's application, was not fully aware of the company's willingness to produce "enhancements" to its proposal.

Asked about the panel's assessment that the airline's cost-cutting moves and improved access to capital markets might allow it to survive without the loan guarantee, Brace demurred.

"We don't think we have access to $2 billion of exit financing, absent the ATSB (loan guarantee) at this time," he said. "We are focused on going through the ATSB process and when we're through with that we'll talk about what happens next."

Brace would not give details about what specific changes or cost cuts the airline would make in its proposal, beyond the roughly $5 billion in cuts the airline has made since filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in December 2002.

"We're going to keep those discussions between us and the ATSB private," he said. He has previously suggested the company could emerge from bankruptcy without the guarantee.

"We expect the carrier to have to move very quickly to cut costs further, probably attacking the extremely contentious issue of employee pensions, while probably reducing capacity and perhaps exploring asset sales for which the market is not strong," Credit Suisse First Boston analyst James Higgins wrote in a research note.

The stabilization board, which was created after September 2001 hijack attacks to help struggling airlines, has been stingy and first rejected United in 2002 for a $1.8 billion loan guarantee.

Trouble at US Airways (NasdaqNM:UAIR - News), which received a $900 million loan guarantee, has prompted some analysts to question whether the board would grant United's request.

United and other big legacy airlines continue to struggle despite surging passenger volume this summer. They have been especially hurt by record high fuel prices and stiff competition from discount rivals.

Hi...this is Glenn and I am speaking to you from the Bahama's. I want to assure each and every one of U that we have done extensive work and sacrifice for this great airline...isn't that right Jake ;) And I also want to assure you that my stupid big mouth in no way affected our application for the loan guarantee....Jake hand me another one of them pina colada's, and one of 'em cute umbrella thingys. Oh, where was I, oh yeah. I know you'all are disappointed, heck so are we. But with a little more hard work and sacrifce my senior management team should be able to retire in a lap of luxury. As always, stay United :D

"Oh, and Jack don't forget your one way ticket to Grand Cayman. I put in your briefcase..........or did I. I can't remember.... Anyway, Mrs Tilton really loves the turtles down here and I'm taking scuba lessons." ;)

The ATSB has decided that it is not in the best interest of this administration to give out any more money tothe airlines. Obviously the pressure from the LCC's has been quite effective. The history of the loan process also lended a hand in this decision. U is still having problems turning a profit due to the cost structure that exists in the legacy carrier model. UAL, Delta, U and the other legacies are under extreme pressure to chage their model to an LCC model.

No can do.

There are so many variables and old deals to undo that the odds of a total metamorphosis are akin to the Cubs winning the World Series with Bartman posted along the third base line ;). The only reason U received the loan is the lay down done by the U pilot group. UAL and subsequently DAL will have to give in a similar fashion in order to survive, no matter who wins this fall. I certainly don't like the position we're in but since there is an alternative out there for the traveling public, we have effectively been left sterile. Just hold on as long as you can. U pilots were reamed so badly by Segal, we have no trouble passing a pineapple.

Now it sounds as if they DO need the loan? :unsure:

Reuters
UAL to scale back request for federal aid - WSJ
Monday June 21, 2:10 am ET

NEW YORK, June 21 (Reuters) - United Airlines' parent plans to reduce its request for federal aid and seek some $500 million in new equity to try to reverse a government denial of a $1.6 billion loan guarantee, The Wall Street Journal reported on Monday.
ADVERTISEMENT

Some of the inducements United, a unit of UAL Corp. (OTC BB:UALAQ.OB - News), discussed with federal officials last week are expected to be formally proposed, the newspaper said, citing unspecified people familiar with the matter.

The new proposal, which could be made later on Monday, includes an effort to find about $500 million in new equity, thereby reducing the size of the federal guarantee, the newspaper said.

United would seek funds from private equity investors, possibly augmented by the issuance of UAL subordinated debt, the newspaper said.

Last week, the Air Transportation Stabilization Board rejected United's bid for a loan guarantee for a second time, prompting new uncertainty about the airline's prospects for emerging from bankruptcy this fall.

United, the No. 2 U.S. airline, has been in Chapter 11 since December 2002 and sought the loan guarantee to back $2 billion in private financing that is crucial to its restructuring.

On Friday, United was granted another month to reorganise itself without interference from creditors as it pursues the federal loan guarantee.

A UAL representative was not immediately available to comment on the report. :unsure:

Borescope Posted on Jun 18 2004, 10:30 PM

Jake, Have you ever tried one of these Parachute thing towed behind the boat?? THERE GOLDEN :up:

LOL !!!