NTSB: Cracked wing parts found on US Airways planes

Quote from the article: "The composite materials panel, measuring 4 feet by 5 feet, broke loose..."

I know absolutely nothing, engineering-ly speaking. That said, all of the hubbub about making planes from composites these days makes me uneasy. I don't want a plane made out of Saran Wrap. I want a plane made out of good old fashioned metal, thank you very much.

I'll probably get flamed for this post by those who know more about the subject than I do.

They found cracked wings on 7 of the airlines 757's....yikes.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Federal investigators found cracked wing fasteners on a US Airways plane that lost a wing panel over Maryland in March, according to the National Transportation Safety Board.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/22/wing.pane...tion/index.html
Investigators found cracked wing clips on seven of the airline's 18 older Boeing 757 aircraft, the NTSB said.

All of the aircraft have been repaired, according to the NTSB, which is checking to see if other airlines' fleets could be affected.
I hope your name WNjetdoc dosen't mean your a mechanic for Southwest because 1 no where in the article does it say the wings were cracked which means you can't read and 2 you should know what wing panels are and that with aircraft comes metal fatique and cracks. Once the cracks were found the airplanes weren't allowed to fly until they were repaired unlike some other airlines that will remain nameless!

Quote from the article: "The composite materials panel, measuring 4 feet by 5 feet, broke loose..."

I know absolutely nothing, engineering-ly speaking. That said, all of the hubbub about making planes from composites these days makes me uneasy. I don't want a plane made out of Saran Wrap. I want a plane made out of good old fashioned metal, thank you very much.

I'll probably get flamed for this post by those who know more about the subject than I do.
I agree with you. Only time will tell how composites are going to fare over the years. It is like an ongoing experiment. I'm not a mechanic, I'm by far a mechanic, but I've had some experience with composites. They are by far stronger and lighter than metal, but if they get compromised in any way, they fall apart. Like if they aren't cured properly, and moisture somehow gets into it, it weakens signifigantly. It's a really scary thought.

The clips are what failed not the panels and the clips are not visable with the panel on. I do not know what they are made of but doubt they would be composite. Also haven't composites been flying for about 20 years now? And isn't the Dreamliner going to be all composite?

The clips are what failed not the panels and the clips are not visable with the panel on. I do not know what they are made of but doubt they would be composite. Also haven't composites been flying for about 20 years now? And isn't the Dreamliner going to be all composite?

Don't you just love how the media reports without knowing what's up ? Composits have been around forever. Ray domes, whell well fairings, flight controls. The 757 panel is seconday structure. Not a PSE.
Over 3/4 of the leading edge is secured to the rear spar with L angles metal clips. They are buried up under the trailing edge spar. So a lift , flash light and mirror is required to see the clips.

The MPD for each A/C sets up the inspection requirements. Time limits and type of required inspection discipline. Also the structure analysis manual will tell you how long a crack will grow in a amount of cycles. So with this info. And the 3rd party that signed off on the inspection, do you think that they missed it ? ( This was on the "old Eastern" A/C ) Also this was an AD I belive.

From what I have read on the Dream liner. A 7 day "glue and snap together", final assembly. We're back to ducted props and super fabric A/C ! :eek: