Nucor Vs. U Management

N628AU

Veteran
Aug 22, 2002
www.usaviation.com
This was started in a different thread that was closed, so I'll start a new one here to keep the discussion going.

Cavalier said:

YEP...the executives fill their pockets with change rapidly by violating every contract they signed at U. YEP unions fault on that account too...YEP I agree again, right on 628. Unions at U are helping the ship sink, they gave nothing so the geniuses we have running U can only fill their pockets with not enough left over to pay the bills…Unions those damned unions!

No where did I say unions are sinking this ship, nor did I say management is not at fault. There is blame to go everywhere. The unions can look at years of featherbedding in contracts (including keeping insane work rules at the cost of hourly rates in IAM concessions round I) as to increasing costs needlessly. Management has plenty of blame, from driving away our best customers with serivce and schedule reductions, to looking at the wrok force as liabilities instead of assets. Both can share in the blame of refusing to work towards a common ground on numerous issues, and always looking at the other side as the "enemy", instead of looking at the Southwests, JetBlues, and Deltas of the world as the "enemy". It is kind of like the infighting at the UN with our so-called allies bickering with us over who controls what and who pays for what and in the mean time letting al-Qaeda and our other enemies continue to operate.

What I have said is that NUCOR has given themselves the ability to quickly adapt to the needs of the marketplace and their customers, while changing something at U is like trying to turn a battleship in the middle of a U-Boat attack. It takes so much time, by the time the new course is set, the hole is closed and you need to turn the other way again. Oh yeah, NUCOR does this without laying people off when times get tough. I'll repeat what I said, U management is not NUCOR, nor do I defend them nor their actions. U management can obviously learn a lot from an employee relations standpoint from NUCOR. The problem is, trust has been lost on both sides, and it will take a lot of time to build. Perhaps a house cleaning on both sides, new union leadership along with wholesale changes in the labor relations ranks in CCY, is what it is going to take to get things back on the right track. Regardless, neither side is wholly to blame, nor is either side a bunch of angels.