Nw Airlines Assure Employees Pay Cuts Will Pay Off

Checking it Out

Veteran
Apr 3, 2003
NW Airlines Assure Employees Pay Cuts Will Pay Off

Jul 9, 2004 7:44 am US/Central
Eagan, Minn. (AP) Northwest Airlines assured employees that pay cuts will be worth the sacrifice as the airline makes investments to ensure that it survives the airline industry shakeout.

"Once we've achieved the final piece in this puzzle -- restructuring our labor costs -- we're positioned not only to survive, but to thrive," CEO Richard Anderson said in a newsletter posted on the employee Web site Thursday.

Northwest is trying to cut its annual labor costs by $950 million. United Airlines and US Airways, two competitors that slashed their labor costs in bankruptcy proceedings, are also weighing additional pay cuts.

The Eagan-based Northwest already has reduced its annual operating costs by $1.6 billion through several rounds of cutbacks that began in 2001.

Northwest and the pilots union hope to reach a cost-cutting deal by this fall.

In the newsletter, Northwest highlighted strategic investments that the company has made to strengthen the business, including adding new airplanes. Management also praised employees for the work they've done to improve the airline's operating performance, including on-time flight departures and baggage handling.

During the next decade, Northwest said it expects annual passenger growth of about 5 percent in the Asia market. It plans to add 25 gates at its Detroit hub, and it intends to feed new passengers into its route system by joining the SkyTeam global alliance in September.

"I appreciate the fact that they are pointing out all the good in the airline and focusing on the good of the employees," said Jeff Mathews, contract administrator for the Northwest mechanics union. "I'm looking forward to being a part of the process in the future that helps ensure Northwest Airlines' survivability."

Northwest's contract with the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association comes open in May 2005.

Steve Dunn, an official with the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, said he doubted his members would react favorably.

"It's like a subliminal message that (says), 'We're going to do better in the future if employees are willing to take pay cuts or concessions,"' he said.

The IAM's contract came open in February 2003. Many IAM workers are upset that Northwest has not bought back stock that employees received in exchange for concessions a decade ago, Dunn said.

"I was there in '93 when we went through this. I thought they had it figured out then, and they didn't have it figured out," he said

Look at Amfa wanting to be part of the process! Now look at the IAM Doubt members would react favorably!

I can see more concessions coming up at NWA!!!!!

tiberi-17may2003.jpg

Hey CIO-

NO ONE at this airline wants to give back a nickel. Period. All Anderson and NW mgmt. is doing is trying to perpetuate a climate of fear amongst us. It happens like clockwork every quarter, when they publish the "New Marketplace," and mail it to all of us (at what cost?). It's all for naught; I haven't talked to anyone yet that's willing to give one red cent. Well guess what? They can shove their policy of mental tyranny straight up their collective a**.

Kev3188 said:
Hey CIO-

NO ONE at this airline wants to give back a nickel. Period. All Anderson and NW mgmt. is doing is trying to perpetuate a climate of fear amongst us. It happens like clockwork every quarter, when they publish the "New Marketplace," and mail it to all of us (at what cost?). It's all for naught; I haven't talked to anyone yet that's willing to give one red cent. Well guess what? They can shove their policy of mental tyranny straight up their collective a**.
mgmt. is doing is trying to perpetuate a climate of fear amongst us

This is an everyday occurrence at American, the only difference is that the TWU also practices the same process.

Checking it Out said:
Look at Amfa wanting to be part of the process! Now look at the IAM Doubt members would react favorably!

I can see more concessions coming up at NWA!!!!!
"More" Concessions?

What were the first concessions?

You gotta be kidding me, right? The TWU leads the industry in concessions and you want to make an issue out of a NWA Mechanic statement that he looks forward to being part of the process? What, would prefer they NOT be part of the process?

Oh OK, I get it now! "Pay no attention to that man behind the current"

CIO is use to an environment of concessions it has become part of his very existence. He and his followers, eat, drink and sleep concessions.

CIO at the very least, can you not keep your concessionary disease at the airline you are employed at? I am sure that those at the other airlines who have had to deal with the "achievements" of the TWU are cussing us on a daily basis.

Yes, but a pay cut to save face today will not cover the concessions he condones for the past twenty years. His answer is to ask what I would do to change things. The only answer is to invent a time machine and go back before 1983 and remove the TWU. This would accomplish not only preventing the devastation that the TWU has brought to labor of this industry, but a stronger mechanic craft and class and unionism in general.

Decision 2004 said:
"More" Concessions?

What were the first concessions?

You gotta be kidding me, right? The TWU leads the industry in concessions and you want to make an issue out of a NWA Mechanic statement that he looks forward to being part of the process? What, would prefer they NOT be part of the process?

Oh OK, I get it now! "Pay no attention to that man behind the current"
Well then, if the TWU is head of the concessions then AMFA is acting like a real ring contender. Give AMFA another year, they'll surpass everyone on concessions, and of course blaming it on the industrialist, communistic, Irish unions of the AFL-CIO....HAHAHA.

Nightwatch said:
Well then, if the TWU is head of the concessions then AMFA is acting like a real ring contender. Give AMFA another year, they'll surpass everyone on concessions, and of course blaming it on the industrialist, communistic, Irish unions of the AFL-CIO....HAHAHA.
Steve, it almost sounds like you wish AMFA mechanics and related would give concessions. They are the ones holding wages and benefits up for even non-union workers as it's defiantly no the twu. Now, why would you want that? I think I hear a little jealousy in you statement.

Well then, if the TWU is head of the concessions then AMFA is acting like a real ring contender.

I doubt that, when it comes to concessions the TWU "Is the undisputed leader of all time!"
Give AMFA another year, they'll surpass everyone on concessions, and of course blaming it on the industrialist, communistic, Irish unions of the AFL-CIO....HAHAHA.

Irish unions of the AFL-CIO? Thats a new one.

Communistic, Industrialist, thats not the problem. The problem is these are "Business Unions". Unions that stand to increase their revenue by selling out their own members instead of representing them. Unions that make more money off "other income" than "dues income" like the TWU. Check it for yourself on their LM-2.

I suppose that its all the members fault? So if the "leaders, elected or otherwise are not responsible then it follows that BUSh is not responsible for the current state of affairs in this country and we should not vote him out? Is it the Amercan people who are responsible because "they dont get involved"? Ok you can make a point about the lack of voter participation as being part of the problem but does that absolve leaders of their responsibility?

Using that same line of reason that its not the leaders fault but the led, then management is also absolved, instead its the workers fault that AA lost money, so then why should the leaders of AA participate in shared sacifice any more than the leaders of the TWU did?

In your defense of the TWU you are forced to resort to twisted logic and attack the basic principles of unionism. Your statements come from the management side not the labor side. Your devotion is cult-like in its abscence of logic and rejection of reason.

I don't know about the other labor groups at NW, but the F/As are not budging. Our contract goes through June 2005 and then we can begin the process of negociating a new contract. Let's face it, PFAA knows that the current contract is the best we are going to expect, as NWA is only going to be looking for take-backs. And with the way NWA has treated PFAA, what's their (our) incentive to negociate in a timely manner. Remember, when times were good in the industry, it took us 4 years to get our current contract....I envision the F/As settling a new agreement in 2009! If NWA wants to threaten us with bankruptcy, bring it on. It couldn't be any worse than what NW was proposing last year for the F/A group. We don't have the billions in pensions like the Pilots have. Lets let them handle the burden, they've got the most to lose. We've been working shortstaffed now for over 3 years on every flight. We're nor giving anything else!

I wish that just one union at one airline would require that management put in writing the exact nature and amount of cuts that management is going to take before union members have to take a single dime in cuts.

Look at CO. They have announced layoffs of 425 employees. All in management and clerical staff or through attrition. They are not starting with the represented employees like the other airlines.

jimntx said:
I wish that just one union at one airline would require that management put in writing the exact nature and amount of cuts that management is going to take before union members have to take a single dime in cuts.

Look at CO. They have announced layoffs of 425 employees. All in management and clerical staff or through attrition. They are not starting with the represented employees like the other airlines.
[post="176411"][/post]​

Well to tell the truth I could care less how much of a cut management takes because they can easily get it all back through bonuses.

Latest posts