NW matches fare hike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2004
Red Planet
Visit site
Northwest Airlines said it will hike fares Monday in an effort to offset rising fuel prices, the Associated Press is reporting.

The move by Eagan-based carrier Northwest (NYSE: NWA) comes a week after competitors Continental and United lifted fees, citing the increasing cost of fuel.

The news service reported that Northwest CEO Doug Steenland told the company's employees in a recorded phone message, "Airfares have to go up, and our passengers will need to pay more. Airlines simply cannot absorb these cost increases," adding that higher prices could forseeably translate to fewer passengers, and the size of the airline needs to reflect that.

He went on to add, "First we have to tighten our belt. We need to find ways to preserve cash by reducing capital expenditures and operating costs. Fortunately, we have over $3 billion of cash on hand."

Steenland did not detail any further cost-saving measures the carrier would undertake.

I guess he should have thought about that before throwing $1/2 BILLION at Mid West!

Northwest Airlines said it will hike fares Monday in an effort to offset rising fuel prices, the Associated Press is reporting.

The move by Eagan-based carrier Northwest (NYSE: NWA) comes a week after competitors Continental and United lifted fees, citing the increasing cost of fuel.

The news service reported that Northwest CEO Doug Steenland told the company's employees in a recorded phone message, "Airfares have to go up, and our passengers will need to pay more. Airlines simply cannot absorb these cost increases," adding that higher prices could forseeably translate to fewer passengers, and the size of the airline needs to reflect that.

He went on to add, "First we have to tighten our belt. We need to find ways to preserve cash by reducing capital expenditures and operating costs. Fortunately, we have over $3 billion of cash on hand."

Steenland did not detail any further cost-saving measures the carrier would undertake.

I guess he should have thought about that before throwing $1/2 BILLION at Mid West!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

NxNW,

Give me your opinion please on this "brain fart" I'm having.

Making MKE home base for the whole Compass operation.
(many more Ejets would be helpful)

NW could "release " those birds into the system every morning, bound for Minny and beyond, with a large portion of them being "rotated" back into the MKE nest, every night ?

I've got to tell you, that as an AA "tub thumper", I'm GREEN with ENVY, :rant: over your Ejet/Compass operation.

I go to bed every night, hoping that I'll wake up in the morning to a big Announcement of a SH!T Load of E-195's bought by AMR.

ps,

It's still NOT to late, to have that RAT A$$ED faced Bastard..STEENLAND, ..FOUND UNDER the last melted snow bank in FT. Snelling :p

pps,

I had to chuckle a bit over the recent announcement of BIG RED going along with the fare hike(obviously the correct thing to do), because back in the "good ol' days", you guys use to give Bob CRANDALL fits of RAGE :rant: , because every time he'd propose a rate hike,..you guys would scuttle it !

Those were THE DAYS my friend :up: :up: :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.