NW selects AAR for B757 heavy maintenance/mod contract

PurduePete

Senior
Jun 15, 2006
On the same day that the mechanics strike at NW officially ended, this press release comes out...

http://www.amtonline.com/article/article.j...n=1&id=2912

AAR Selected to Provide Maintenance Services for Northwest Airlines
via PRNewswire

WOOD DALE, Ill., Nov. 6 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- AAR (NYSE: AIR) today announced that it has been selected by Northwest Airlines to perform heavy maintenance services and interior modifications on select Boeing 757 aircraft. The work will be performed at AAR Aircraft Services - Indianapolis, the Company's state-of-the-art maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) operation located at the Indianapolis International Airport.

AAR will perform nose-to-tail heavy maintenance checks for five 757s that were previously stored and are being reintroduced into Northwest Airline's fleet. In addition, AAR will perform interior modifications on ten 757s to reconfigure the aircraft with an updated business class cabin and a more spacious coach cabin in support of Northwest Airline's expanded international route structure. The work is scheduled to begin in November 2006 and be completed by August, 2007.

"We appreciate the confidence Northwest Airlines has shown by selecting AAR to perform maintenance and modifications on their 757 aircraft," said Mark McDonald, Group Vice President at AAR. "Our MRO capabilities are designed to meet the needs of customers as they optimize and modernize their fleets to align with changing market conditions."

AAR offers a wide range of maintenance, repair and overhaul services including airframe maintenance and modifications through its aircraft maintenance facilities located in Indianapolis and Oklahoma City. Both facilities earned top honors in the Federal Aviation Administration's Aviation Maintenance Technician Awards Program, which recognizes companies for excellence in technical and regulatory training.

AAR is a leading provider of products and value-added services to the worldwide aviation/aerospace industry. With facilities and sales locations around the world, AAR uses its close-to-the-customer business model to serve airline and defense customers through four operating segments: Aviation Supply Chain; Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul; Structures and Systems and Aircraft Sales and Leasing. More information can be found at http://www.aarcorp.com .

Why would NW decide to put this release out today? Did they have this contract signed prior to today, but did not want the mechanics at AAR to think that they would be performing struck work? Then again, it is a known fact that they had been doing work on NW aircraft during the strike, so they are scabs in my opinion anyway... :down:

i strongly agree with you Pete 10000% i think they had that lined up long before them dirty ba$tard$
I'm with you too Pete! I also think within 18 months, more mtx will be contracted out and the guys taking the
2 year recall will be wasting their hopes. :shock:

How ironic. Aircraft from AMFA represented NWA being farmed out to the former UAL overhaul facility which is staffed by hundreds of former AMFA members...

I'm with you too Pete! I also think within 18 months, more mtx will be contracted out and the guys taking the
2 year recall will be wasting their hopes. :shock:
:angry: I thought THIS was what BIG DADDY said. 2 years! What a bunch of crud. He at his senority - figures he isn't gonna see that so why bother? He DOESN'T WANNA WORK WITH SCABS ANYWAY.....NW ripped everone off. I AM SO SAD for ALL OF YOU. (no I did not write that "sad" letter on AMFA although WE KNOW WHICH SCAB the letter was refering to.

Not surprising considering the number of 'ardent' UAL AMFA supporters that crossed the line (SCABBED) to work for NWA.
:blink: DOH

Not surprising considering the number of 'ardent' UAL AMFA supporters that crossed the line (SCABBED) to work for NWA.
:blink: DOH

So NWA SCABs are following NWAs junk to AAR? Good for them, looks like they'll be able to continue enjoying the same standard(sub-standard)maintenance.

How ironic. Aircraft from AMFA represented NWA being farmed out to the former UAL overhaul facility which is staffed by hundreds of former AMFA members...

Heh??? UAL overhaul ( IMC ) closed by said airline before AMFA represented UAL mechanics. Not much irony, but deep into non-sequitur territory...Like a shell that falls 500 yards short. Talk about desperate....... :huh:

I'm well aware of the timing of the IMC closure and the AMFA election.

If you're trying to say that the UAL mechanics furloughed in March aren't considered members of AMFA, then mea culpa.

Otherwise, they were AMFA members (and presumably still are until their recall rights expire) at the time AAR acquired the lease on the facility.

With over 1000 mechanics at IMC at the time it was closed, and nowhere for them to bump to with the simultaneous closing of OAK, there were many who chose to stay put. That's why it's quite likely that there are going to be a couple hundred ex-IAM-ex-AMFA-ex-UAL employees working at AAR.

Out of fairness, I'm sure there are probably also a few ex-NWA and ex-ALK ex-AMFA members who went to work there, and ex-IAM and ex-TWU members there, given the number of jobs the facility created.

Ironic? Lets not forget how the worthless iam burned the UAL membership with unlimited farm outs of all maintenance at UAL before AMFA ever got on the UAL property.

I'm well aware of the timing of the IMC closure and the AMFA election.

If you're trying to say that the UAL mechanics furloughed in March aren't considered members of AMFA, then mea culpa.

Otherwise, they were AMFA members (and presumably still are until their recall rights expire) at the time AAR acquired the lease on the facility.

With over 1000 mechanics at IMC at the time it was closed, and nowhere for them to bump to with the simultaneous closing of OAK, there were many who chose to stay put. That's why it's quite likely that there are going to be a couple hundred ex-IAM-ex-AMFA-ex-UAL employees working at AAR.

Out of fairness, I'm sure there are probably also a few ex-NWA and ex-ALK ex-AMFA members who went to work there, and ex-IAM and ex-TWU members there, given the number of jobs the facility created.

A thinly veiled acknowledgement you were wrong, albeit in Latin, and let the requalifying begin.

Now its....

" a couple hundred ex-IAM-ex-AMFA-ex-UAL employees working at AAR. "

Instead of recognizing the irony that work formerly done by union members is being sent to a maintenance facility formerly staffed by union members, you'd rather nitpick.

You wonder how management always seems to win lately?... People like you are too busy fiddling while Rome burns.

You wonder how management always seems to win lately?... People like you are too busy fiddling while Rome burns.
:lol:

I worked at AAR in OKC for three months. My supervisor there had to blow in a breathalyzer before his car could be started. The place was a real dump. I haven't been back. I don't know about AAR in Indianapolis but I would be willing to bet it's not much different.

Latest posts