Nw To Ground 24 Additional Aircraft

NW plans on keeping domestic capacity flat, while grounding 24 aircraft. Sounds like an increase in efficiency, which would result in lower unit costs. Layoffs are a bad thing to those being laid off, but for those who remain, this is good news for overall job security.

24 planes averaging 6 flights per day is 144 flights that will need to be covered. That would mean that the remaining 9s would all need to fly 1 more leg per day. Possoble, but I see RJs covering about half of the flights. Just my thoughts...........

coolflyingfool said:
Possoble, but I see RJs covering about half of the flights.  Just my thoughts...........
[post="257170"][/post]​

Then it wouldn't be so much about increased efficiency as it would be about farming out more flying. :angry:

I hope this is wrong, but I think you're right. I also agree that one leg more per day is perfectly doable. Sometimes these planes sit on the ground for quite awhile.

Kev3188 said:
Sometimes these planes sit on the ground for quite awhile.
[post="257224"][/post]​
I noticed that, too. NW seems to have had (in the past few years) the longest ground times I've seen. It increases ontime numbers without having to make more significant changes to operations, but that comes at quite a cost.

I hope for the sake of NW's continued existence that the utilization increase works well.