Nwa Mechanics Lose Layoff Dispute

James T. Kirk

Senior
Apr 9, 2003
NWA mechanics lose layoff dispute

Published February 19, 2004 NWA19OL

An arbitrator has ruled that Northwest Airlines was justified in invoking the 2001 terrorist attacks to lay off hundreds of mechanics.

The Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA) had argued that the layoffs were really caused by economic conditions -- and said its contract prevented layoffs for that reason. Northwest, based in Eagan, had invoked the "force majeure" clause of its contract that allows layoffs for some events outside of the company's control, such as an act of war.

Northwest laid off about 600 mechanics, custodians and aircraft cleaners soon after the attacks, said Jeff Mathews, contract coordinator for the Northwest AMFA. He said about 4,800 Northwest ground workers have been laid off since Sept. 11, 2001.

The arbitrator issued the ruling Jan. 25, but neither the airline nor the union announced it. A Northwest spokesman declined to comment Wednesday.

The union also is fighting Northwest layoffs made after the war in Iraq began. Mathews said the war was just an excuse for Northwest to make layoffs it had planned in advance.

"The day after the war broke out, they laid off 2,125 technicians. They were waiting in the weeds, waiting for the excuse," he said.

In February 2003, Delta canceled the planned furlough of 20 pilots after an arbitrator ruled that the layoffs were a result of the nation's poor economy and not the Sept. 11 attacks. The decision froze pilot furloughs at 1,060. But other airlines successfully have defended layoffs made under force majeure clauses.

Associated Press

Imagine that. . .4800!!!!!!

What happened to your number of 2808???????????

And you said we were lying when we said the number was 4500!!!!!!!!!!!

This is amfa at it's best. Laying off people and denying the truth.

!!!!!!GO AMFA!!!!!!
:down: :down: :down:

twuer said:
Imagine that. . .4800!!!!!!

What happened to your number of 2808???????????

And you said we were lying when we said the number was 4500!!!!!!!!!!!

This is amfa at it's best. Laying off people and denying the truth.

!!!!!!GO AMFA!!!!!!
:down: :down: :down:
How many TWU ground workers have been laid off? Over 6000? Remember-ground workers.

What is our total headcount compared to Sept 11 2001? In addition to the layoffs we have also had many retirements and some resignations.

Point being Bob you guys were spewing out the wrong numbers to begin with to make yourselves look better and you know it!!!!!!

Why don't you talk about what amfa did instead of bringing up what the twu did.

What's wrong, can't handle the truth???

twuer said:
Point being Bob you guys were spewing out the wrong numbers to begin with to make yourselves look better and you know it!!!!!!

Why don't you talk about what amfa did instead of bringing up what the twu did.

What's wrong, can't handle the truth???
AMFA reversed a twenty year trend of declining wages for aircraft mechanics. A trend that was initiated and led by the TWU at AA. In their very first contract they increased the wage, thereby setting the standard back to nearly the equivelent purchasing power-as measured against the CPI, that mechanics enjoyed twenty years earlier. In one contract they undid the damage that the TWU did over a twenty year span.

Hows that?

Now tell me what the TWU has done, and dont say saved jobs, they rolled back system protection and eliminated one week of vacation from every worker to enable the company to eliminate jobs, not save them.

Bob You sound like a broken Record! Show us what amfa has done in the last 30 days to preserve the family life of the laid off workers! You talk about a chart that was in a group of documents on what ifs! Please provide the full documents for everyone to see!

Better yet go look at the 20 pages of information that was posted earlier today from the TWU-ATD wbsite!

4800! that drops the numbers below 5000 now! Inching closer to the 2400 mark!

Checking it Out said:
Bob You sound like a broken Record! Show us what amfa has done in the last 30 days to preserve the family life of the laid off workers! You talk about a chart that was in a group of documents on what ifs! Please provide the full documents for everyone to see!

Better yet go look at the 20 pages of information that was posted earlier today from the TWU-ATD wbsite!

4800! that drops the numbers below 5000 now! Inching closer to the 2400 mark!
What is the TWU doing for its laid off workers? Especially those who thought they had system protection only to see the TWU roll it back?

I dont know what chart you are talking about but if you mean the AA mechanics pay vs CPI the only "what ifs" are the projected rates of inflation from the year 2003 to 2008. There I used the low end of the 30 year average of 3%. All the other numbers are facts.

The 3% rate could be less, but not much less, we have not had deflation within most of our coworkers lifetimes, however it could be much more, there has been double digit inflation at some point during most of our members lifetimes. Regardless of the rate, no matter what we will be making considerbly less in 2008 than we were in 2001, in both real and unadjusted numbers.

We have no chance for a better future with the TWU. The graph illustates what they have done for the last twenty years. Those in control have already stated they do not intend to change and continue to defend this direction. They cite the fact that they have seen job growth in the TWU. However they do not care that this growth, at the TWU, comes at the expense of better paying jobs elsewhere. Basically its the same ideology as Walmart. Walmart is the largest employer in America right? So thats a good thing according to you right? No? I forgot they are not union. However if they were union, and paid the exact same benifits and pay as they do now would that change your perception of whether or not Walmart is good for the American worker?

No they didn't Bobby..they followed the IBT into that trend, then took the bows for it..typical. They did , however, lead the trend on outsourcing and furloughs....prove me wrong oh biggest one...HAHAHA

Bottom Line. . .

JEFF MATTHEWS QUOTE:

He said about 4,800 Northwest ground workers have been laid off
since Sept. 11, 2001.

Defend that amfa boys!!!!!!!

AMFA always seems to be changing their tune. . .layoff numbers 2800 now 4800, no concessions now no unwarranted concessions, bankruptcy is better, now wait, don't touch the retirees. . .WHAT'S NEXT???????????

THANKS DELLE, FOR ALL YOU HAVE DONE FOR THE PROFESSION!!!!!

NyQuill said:
No they didn't Bobby..they followed the IBT into that trend, then took the bows for it..typical. They did , however, lead the trend on outsourcing and furloughs....prove me wrong oh biggest one...HAHAHA
Ok I'll be more specific- "for the Passenger airline industry". The IBT represented Continental and SWA mechanics but they got nowhere near what UPS got.

By the way I hear the guys at Continental are starting up an AMFA drive.

No comment on the 501 lawsuit to strip former TWA employees of their seniority?

Do you see the possible ramnifications for TWA workers?

Lets say that the court rules that the "no employee on the master seniority list will be adversely impacted,," clause was violated. So out go the TWA guys and all the AA guys come back. The TWU looks like a hero, the least senior guys get their jobs back, the middle and older guys get their vacation picks back and the TWA guys get screwed.

A few weeks later the company decides to get the additional 17% reduction they need by closing MCI and more layoffs. The TWA guys can no longer displace anybody because of the "no adverse impact ruling and the only ones that could grieve are those that had around twenty years or better because of the 25% seniority ruling and the rollback of system protection to 1998.

If the TWU did this it would quell some of the discontent throughout the system in all title groups. Especially the New york area where the AGW drive is just starting and they have around 3000 FSC. Tell me do you think the TWU would sell out all the 3 or 4000 TWA guys if they felt it would increase their chances of keeping over 30,000 members?

Hey Booby..going after the TWA seniority issue is kinda like grasping for that last bullet..hey Booby...you have no ammo...you used to dry fire?..HAHAHA..listen biggest one....go to WalMart and apply as a greeter..I'm sure SOMEONE there will be impressed with your presence...HAHAHA! Maybe you can organize the clerks that do the 15 items or less...they are more professional ya know..HAHAHAHAHA..

NyQuill said:
Hey Booby..going after the TWA seniority issue is kinda like grasping for that last bullet..hey Booby...you have no ammo...you used to dry fire?..HAHAHA..listen biggest one....go to WalMart and apply as a greeter..I'm sure SOMEONE there will be impressed with your presence...HAHAHA! Maybe you can organize the clerks that do the 15 items or less...they are more professional ya know..HAHAHAHAHA..
Why go to Walmart? I see the same ideology right here from the TWU.

I think you missed the rest of my post.

I want everyone to stop and think! The news has Jim adkinson quoting 3700 positions lost about 6 months ago! Now it has increased to 4800! That is about 200 a month!

January 17th Amfa was reporting 4500 hundred! Does that mean NWA/Amfa has increased the outsourcing of jobs and members to 300 a month?

It is hard to keep up! I feel sorry for the NW mechanics for drinking the amfa kool-aid dream!

Latest posts