NWA performance rankings for March '07

PurduePete

Senior
Jun 15, 2006
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...0340/1001/rss21

One out of every three Northwest Airlines flights arrived late at their destinations in March, ranking Detroit's largest carrier second to last among the nation's major airlines, the U.S. Department of Transportation said Monday.

Sixty-six percent of Northwest flights arrived within 14 minutes of their scheduled time, according to a monthly report released by the DOT. Only US Airways fared worse, with a 55.5 percent rating.

Southwest Airlines ranked first, with 82 percent of its flights arriving on time. At Detroit Metropolitan Airport, Northwest's largest hub with 507 daily departures, the carrier fared only slightly better, with a 67.8 percent rating.

"We attribute the delays to several major storms in the Midwest that disrupted our operation," said Dean Breest, media relations manager for Minnesota-based Northwest.

The DOT reported that the biggest reason for Northwest's tardiness was aviation system delays, causing 12.7 percent of the late arrivals; the carrier caused 11 percent; and poor weather accounted for 0.67 percent.

Northwest fared better in baggage handling. The carrier ranked second behind only Alaska Airlines, with 5.57 mishandled reports per 1,000 passengers. The complaints include lost, damaged, delayed or pilfered baggage. Industrywide, the rate of mishandled baggage in March was 7.71 pieces per 1,000 passengers.

Northwest placed fourth in the number of complaints -- everything from late planes to surly attendants -- with 1.54 complaints per 100,000 passengers. Southwest Airlines fared the best, with .25 complaints.

"We attribute the delays to several major storms in the Midwest that disrupted our operation," said Dean Breest, media relations manager for Minnesota-based Northwest.

Yeah.....RIGHT !!!! And the reason we had to go into bankruptcy was because of employee pay scales.....

Couldn't POSSIBLY be because the airline was mismanaged by a bunch of lowlife, bungling, underachieving "legal" white collar criminals now huh ????

I just like how determined the Ministry of Propaganda is to lie in the face of facts.

Breest stating "We attribute the delays to several major storms in the Midwest that disrupted our operation," while the DOT says that only .67% are WX related is just fantastic. :rolleyes:

Even if you count "aviation system delays" in with the weather, that's still only approx. 13%...what causes the rest of them?

Even if you count "aviation system delays" in with the weather, that's still only approx. 13%...what causes the rest of them?

Well Kev I would start with the IAM Boys who have a tendency to leave an aircraft on the Tarmac for who knows how long before they marshal it in. Then you can look at the baggage handlers and the pushback guys who can be painstakingly slow. Then of course there is the flight crew with their late maintenance write-ups and dragging things out in the hopes of timing out. Lets not forget about the pax's, with their gluttonous number of carry-ons, who can take forever to board. Then of course there are the inevitable Mx Delays that I am sure are on the rise as more and more AMFA Boys return to replace the Original Scabs. If you recall when the Original Scabs were running the show Mx Delays were on a steady decline. Oh, the perils for a corporation that has to operate through unions. It will take a few years but NWA will end up in the same boat they were in in 2005 if they continue to have to deal with non-productive union shops.

Well Kev I would start with the IAM Boys who have a tendency to leave an aircraft on the Tarmac for who knows how long before they marshal it in. Then you can look at the baggage handlers and the pushback guys who can be painstakingly slow. Then of course there is the flight crew with their late maintenance write-ups and dragging things out in the hopes of timing out. Lets not forget about the pax's, with their gluttonous number of carry-ons, who can take forever to board. Then of course there are the inevitable Mx Delays that I am sure are on the rise as more and more AMFA Boys return to replace the Original Scabs. If you recall when the Original Scabs were running the show Mx Delays were on a steady decline. Oh, the perils for a corporation that has to operate through unions. It will take a few years but NWA will end up in the same boat they were in in 2005 if they continue to have to deal with non-productive union shops.
almost but not quite scab boy. The majority of the delays--MAINTAINCE NO QUALIFIED MECHANICS to FIX the planes.

No they weren't.

Any of the reasons you listed could be counted under the 11% listed as "airline caused."

Nice to see you still have nothing to contribute but feeble attempts at baiting...

Come now Kev sure you recall Hackman posting the DOT Stats on a regular basis proudly claiming how NWA was "Dead Last" in the rankings. Certainly you recall me asking Hackman to post the Stats after they began climbing, especially after we passed the AA AMT's. I am certain you remember Hickman’s absolute refusal to post the stats and that I had to do it for him. Kev, I have come to think of you of at least a fair guy but for you to say, "No they weren't." is a flat out lie. We broke every record the AMFA Boy's ever had and you know it.

I am certain you remember Hickman’s absolute refusal to post the stats and that I had to do it for him. Kev, I have come to think of you of at least a fair guy but for you to say, "No they weren't." is a flat out lie. We broke every record the AMFA Boy's ever had and you know it.

I do remember the debate about statistic posting....

Do you remember me posting MEL and AOS counts all the time?

Fact is, MEL and AOS counts sky rocketed (BTW, I'm not counting the spike between the last few weeks before the strike and the first few weeks of you guys working) from historic levels and stayed there.

Statistics aside, the sad truth is that at the station level a couple of years ago, a mechanical delay was a "big deal" (for lack of a better term), and now it's accepted as "normal."

I do remember the debate about statistic posting....

Do you remember me posting MEL and AOS counts all the time?

Fact is, MEL and AOS counts sky rocketed (BTW, I'm not counting the spike between the last few weeks before the strike and the first few weeks of you guys working) from historic levels and stayed there.

Statistics aside, the sad truth is that at the station level a couple of years ago, a mechanical delay was a "big deal" (for lack of a better term), and now it's accepted as "normal."
i remember that. it out did the mels and aos for all other carriers :D