NWA tells attendants price of rejection

jenny@nw

Veteran
Feb 20, 2006
pacific nw
NWA tells attendants price of rejection
In a letter to flight attendants, Northwest says a contract rejection will mean loss of jobs, severance and merger protection.
Liz Fedor, Star Tribune
Last update: May 15, 2006 – 11:59 PM

If Northwest Airlines flight attendants reject the concessionary contract on which they are now voting, management will seek to impose terms that would include the outsourcing of 30 percent of the carrier's international flying.
That would translate into the loss of 800 jobs.

The warning was carried in a letter sent on Friday to all Northwest flight attendants. The president of the flight attendants' union responded Monday by calling the letter blatant intimidation.

Job preservation was the top priority of the Professional Flight Attendants Association (PFAA) when that union's negotiators bargained with Northwest earlier this year. The two sides reached agreement March 1 on a deal that includes base pay cuts of 21 percent and would save Northwest $195 million a year.

The company "does not have the luxury of returning to the bargaining table for Round 2," Northwest said in the letter from Suzanne Boda, vice president of inflight services.

"A perception has been publicly communicated that flight attendants are hopeful for a quick return to the bargaining table ... and an improved offer. Those hopes, if they exist, are misplaced," the letter continued.

Guy Meek, PFAA president, said in an interview Monday that Northwest has the right to release factual information about the tentative agreement. However, he added, "Their stiff-arm approach and their intimidation tactics are not the way to do it."

Meek said a union attorney is researching whether Northwest violated any federal labor laws by sending the letter.

Danny Campbell, an organizer for another union seeking to represent the flight attendants, said many of them view the Northwest letter as an "inflammatory threat." It may actually increase the number of flight attendants who vote against the contract, he said.

He is a "no" voter on the tentative agreement and wants the PFAA to be replaced by the Association of Flight Attendants.

Northwest is attempting to win $1.4 billion in annual labor cost savings. The pilots union ratified a concessionary deal in early May, three small unions previously agreed to cutbacks, and Northwest already has reduced the compensation for salaried employees.

Flight attendants will be voting through June 6 on their contract proposal, which also calls for fewer vacation days, longer work hours and some layoffs.

PFAA leaders fought hard at the bargaining table to retain flying for U.S.-based flight attendants. PFAA represents 9,300 attendants at Northwest, some of whom already are on furlough. Another 800 positions would be eliminated from PFAA if one-third of overseas flights were staffed by foreign attendants.

Northwest said that if the deal is rejected, it will ask the bankruptcy court to permit it to abrogate the current contract and allow it to impose its own terms.

Northwest and the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM) were in court Monday on a similar action. Some Northwest ground workers rejected a contract offer in March. Northwest has filed a motion to void the IAM contract, but both sides said Monday that they still prefer to reach a consensual deal.

In Friday's letter to attendants, Northwest also said it would eliminate the severance package in the tentative agreement that allows about 1,200 flight attendants to leave the company, receiving a payout of up to $27,000 each.

In addition, Northwest said it would start furloughing attendants in July, and reduce or eliminate measures designed to save attendant jobs in the event of a merger with another carrier.

The Northwest flight attendants are embroiled in an internal dispute. The independent PFAA was voted into office in 2003, replacing the Teamsters. Now, supporters of the Association of Flight Attendants (AFA) want to replace the PFAA, partly because the AFA, an AFL-CIO union, has represented many flight attendant groups at bankrupt carriers.

Flight attendants will begin voting in early June on whether they want the PFAA or AFA to represent them.

Liz Fedor • 612-673-7709

may be someone should tell that mgmt should lose their jobs, severance, golden parachutes, and benefits. May be the F/As should tell mgmt that they will outsource mgmt! Good luck to you Flight Attendants and the remainder of the unionized employees at NWA.

Having had the "pleasure" of dealing with Boda when she oversaw Ground Ops, I can tell you she's a real peach...

To Jenny (and all other NWA F/A's), I say tell 'em to get f**ked.

Having had the "pleasure" of dealing with Boda when she oversaw Ground Ops, I can tell you she's a real peach...

To Jenny (and all other NWA F/A's), I say tell 'em to get f**ked.
Well she did this the last time, in August where she threatened us with a zillion emails about us doing a sympathy strike. For those of us who don't read the news or anything until we GET to work this was pretty indimidating.

I guess they figured out the T/A isn't going to pass so here we GO AGAIN with those emails.

Yes Kevin, We LOVE HER TOO!

I personaly miss Mr. Adler. He was pretty cool. He is working at Maxjet, I think.

Well she did this the last time, in August where she threatened us with a zillion emails about us doing a sympathy strike.

Where does nwa get em'. Remember when Checchi started promoting all the managers to VP positions? Give them a title and now they're SOMEBODY! Start getting pushy and think they're god. Thats the kind of leadership over the years that started nwa down the path to ruin. The rank and file union folks just did their jobs. The VPs, etc. started the slide.

Where does nwa get em'. Remember when Checchi started promoting all the managers to VP positions? Give them a title and now they're SOMEBODY! Start getting pushy and think they're god. Thats the kind of leadership over the years that started nwa down the path to ruin. The rank and file union folks just did their jobs. The VPs, etc. started the slide.
Yea, my auditor friend (my drinkin' pal when he's in town) was blabbing about how this company is pretty "top heavy" for its size.

Don't forget all the other people who scrambled to save their friend from being cut by "creating" a position.

Since my first dealing with the twit back in her MEM days, and since I'm a bit more "plain spoken" than most, I have always said that she is a f**king moron that couldn't find her own ass with both hands and a hunting dog.

I personaly miss Mr. Adler. He was pretty cool. He is working at Maxjet, I think.

He is currently at EOS. While he is far more useful than Boda I never really had much use for Hector and his collection of Pan Am cronies that came with him.

He is currently at EOS. While he is far more useful than Boda I never really had much use for Hector and his collection of Pan Am cronies that came with him.

Had a trip with him onboard once. We had a non rev F/A who decided to make a scene in F/C. Apparently, he didn't know what Hector looked like. Look was priceless when Hector introduced himself. B)

What do you think about this statement Felix aka PTO?
Do you think NW will save SCAB MX jobs in case of a MERGER?
Once when I was attending one of my sons school outings I was sitting with some of the other parents. We introduced ourselves and began chi-tchatting. Of course the conversation led to, "Where do you work?" I replied, "I am an aircraft mechanic by trade but was recently laid off." This woman gets the most forlorn look on here face and says, "Oh, I am so sorry I didn't know. Will they be calling you back to work soon?" I say, "There's no telling, there is a couple of places I could go now but I think I will hang out here for the next month or two. This happens two or three times a year if I don't quit first. It’s just the nature of the industry. You get use to it after a while and sometimes look forward to it so you can draw unemployment. The unemployment isn't much but it does take care of my recreational needs." :lol: . That woman looked at me like I was crazy. :lol:

So to answer your question Groundcontrol, I could care less. It would be just another day in this wonderful industry that I owe so much to the unions for. :lol: :lol:

excerpt from the letter, posted on another site:

.... if this TA fails to ratify, the Company does not have the luxury of returning to the bargaining table for Round 2. The implementation of labor cost reductions must begin immediately. Northwest will seek to implement terms and conditions that:

a. Do not include an Early Out or Severance Program.
b. Assign 30% of international flying to Foreign National Flight Attendants.
c. Require additional furloughs of PFAA-represented Flight Attendants beginning in July 2006.
d. Reduce or eliminate labor protective provisions associated with mergers.
e. Eliminate the ‘me too’ clauses that provide certain rights to Flight Attendants should other groups receive more favorable treatment in specific
areas (i.e., pension, distribution of equity or claims in lieu of equity,
etc.).

A perception has been publicly communicated that Flight Attendants are hopeful for a quick return to the bargaining table - potentially with a different bargaining representative - and an improved offer. Those hopes, if they exist, are misplaced. The Company recognizes and respects the right of our Flight Attendants to select their representatives. Representation in no way affects the undeniable fact that the Company requires and must promptly obtain, through a consensual agreement or imposed terms, $195 million in annual savings from its Flight Attendants.

While these facts may be unwelcome, they are true. The decision facing our Flight Attendants today is the most important decision you have collectively faced. It is important that you have complete and accurate information as you carefully consider the alternatives. Please use the e-mail address above to ensure that all of your individual questions are answered.

In closing, we do recognize and appreciate deeply the economic sacrifices you and your families have already made, and those we are asking of you now. You have done a phenomenal job of continuing to serve our customers with grace and dignity in these very difficult times.

Sincerely,
XOXOXO
Suzanne "I love people like PTO" Boda
Vice-President, Inflight Services
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry Suzanne but most of us have that "I don't give a F*ck attitude" since this nonsense started.

Many people are very happy to be back on reserve again. :down: with 9 hr layovers in FAR

I wonder if they'll bring back their arsenal of scab F/A again? It was alot of fun last summer trying to figure out which F/A is a scab.

WHAT IS YOUR SENORITY?!

LET ME SEE YOUR BADGE?!

...and the drama continues....stay tuned.....

That woman looked at me like I was crazy. :lol:

I understand her concern. :wacko:

So to answer your question Groundcontrol, I could care less. It would be just another day in this wonderful industry that I owe so much to the unions for. :lol: :lol:

Unions made you a migrant worker?
How so?

This happens two or three times a year if I don't quit first. It’s just the nature of the industry. You get use to it after a while and sometimes look forward to it so you can draw unemployment. The unemployment isn't much but it does take care of my recreational needs." :lol: . That woman looked at me like I was crazy. :lol:

If anyone who has ever read this board ever had any doubts about your lack of character or Integrity you have surely confirmed it nicely with this little gym.

What a pathetic excuse of a man you are, One who relishes living off government assistance and pisses it away on his fishing jaunts and what have you. I take back what I said about feeling sorry for your wife, she must be cut from the same cloth in order to stay by your side.

DIRTBAG

that p!sses me off that scabs like you would live off of govt asistance. yet I work but my son who has special needs only qualifies for 239.93 a month of ssi. i cant wait till I move to Baltimore area and get a better paying job than the one I have with Piedmont. Once I get going, my son is coming off of ssi. It sure is sad to see you are getting unemployment when you havent been laid off

If anyone who has ever read this board ever had any doubts about your lack of character or Integrity you have surely confirmed it nicely with this little gym.

What a pathetic excuse of a man you are, One who relishes living off government assistance and pisses it away on his fishing jaunts and what have you. I take back what I said about feeling sorry for your wife, she must be cut from the same cloth in order to stay by your side.

DIRTBAG

local 12 proud,

:up:

Take Care,

B) UT

Latest posts