NW's..Continental(CO) "trump card"

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
As almost everyone knows, NW has a "strong say" if anyone were to try to Buy/Merge with Continental.

With the US/DL "deal" pending, what are your opinions on the following;

With United "poised", to make a counter offer to DL, or to attempt to consolidate with another carrier, when should NW...PLAY their Trump Card, with regard to CO ?

Specifically, If UA makes a counter offer to DL, should NW IMMEDIATELY go after CO ?

Should UA go after CO, should NW..THEN play the TRUMP CARD.

NW, "could" get caught short handed.

For examole, CO might get "Skittish" with all the "action" going on, and may want to be an Acquirer.(Therefore CONTROLLING their destiny)

I guess what I'm trying to say, is NW is in a powerful position with CO. With that said...WHEN..should they "play that TRUMP card" ??

NH/BB's

but lets say if UA goes for DELTA with a higher bid, then say US goes after NW how will that affect CO given NW having a stake in it

As almost everyone knows, NW has a "strong say" if anyone were to try to Buy/Merge with Continental.

With the US/DL "deal" pending, what are your opinions on the following;

With United "poised", to make a counter offer to DL, or to attempt to consolidate with another carrier, when should NW...PLAY their Trump Card, with regard to CO ?

Specifically, If UA makes a counter offer to DL, should NW IMMEDIATELY go after CO ?

Should UA go after CO, should NW..THEN play the TRUMP CARD.

NW, "could" get caught short handed.

For examole, CO might get "Skittish" with all the "action" going on, and may want to be an Acquirer.(Therefore CONTROLLING their destiny)

I guess what I'm trying to say, is NW is in a powerful position with CO. With that said...WHEN..should they "play that TRUMP card" ??
NH/BB's

are they really in a powerful positon? I thought they got out of that mess with NW. CO wouldn't like us at all......... different coprorate culutre, better service.... image.... bold marketing...(I love their marketing) totally different feel. I wonder how they will have to de -program the employees.

but lets say if UA goes for DELTA with a higher bid, then say US goes after NW how will that affect CO given NW having a stake in it

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Robbed,
First off, Ideally NW wants to be a remain alone carrier.

But to your question, If it "boiled down" to US chasing NW, I would submit that NW would rather be an Acquirer, than an Acquiree.

I think that the Consolidation "bomb" is about to "go off", and most carriers are vulnerable, to some "loose cannon"(like US) being susceptable to an Unwanted offer

Hypothetically, even American(who could be presented with an Unwanted offer), would'nt be exempt from any company, who has friends with VERY deep pockets.

Well one thing is for sure, "DESPICABLE DOUG" I'm sure has run all possiblilitys .

NH/BB's

Latest posts