Oberstar Opposes DL-NW

Status
Not open for further replies.

dariencc

Veteran
Dec 4, 2006
Lawmaker won't back Northwest-Delta merger
By Barbara De Lollis, USA TODAY
U.S. House Transportation Committee Chairman James Oberstar said Wednesday that he opposes ongoing merger talks between Minnesota-based Northwest Airlines and Delta Air Lines, saying any merger of major domestic carriers would hurt consumers.

Oberstar, a Minnesota Democrat and a key player in aviation policy, said any airline consolidation would result in a rapid collapse of the industry into two or three megacarriers. "I don't think mergers are in the best public interest, and that includes this one," he said.

Oberstar's comments came during a conference call with reporters in which he confirmed ongoing discussions between executives of Atlanta-based Delta (DAL), the USA's No. 3 airline, and No. 6 Northwest (NWA).

Neither Delta nor Northwest have publicly acknowledged the merger talks, and both declined to comment Wednesday.

Oberstar told reporters he invited Northwest executives to his office on Tuesday to discuss the status of merger talks to avoid operating "on the basis of rumor."

He said the executives confirmed the talks with Delta. The talks are in the early stages, Oberstar said, and the executives told him that they would look for another partner if Delta were to move ahead with No. 2 United Airlines (UAUA) as a merger partner instead of Northwest. Oberstar says he believes Northwest is currently talking only with Delta about a possible merger.

By law, mergers between large airlines must undergo scrutiny by the Department of Justice antitrust unit and the Department of Transportation. But congressional leaders can hold public hearings and exert pressure on regulators and have done so in the past.

Officials at American (AMR), currently the world's largest airline, said Wednesday that a "more rational industry structure" resulting from consolidation could benefit both consumers and the industry. But they stopped short of climbing onto the merger bandwagon.

CFO Tom Horton, in a conference call about American's quarterly financial performance, said the complexity of putting together two airlines makes it difficult to achieve the desired results. Horton said American is watching Delta's search for a possible merger partner closely and contemplating what its competitive response, if any, would be, he said.

U.S. Rep. Jerry Costello, a Democrat from United's headquarters state of Illinois and chairman of the House aviation subcommittee, issued a statement saying, "The history of these (merger) deals is not a positive one for consumers and airline employees." At the same time, Costello said, he'd review any proposed merger on its merits.

Oberstar's opposition kills the deal. He can and will.

Unless the merged entity retains the name NW and home in the frozen state.

Anderson knows that and leveraging that info to obtain a sweeter deal from the desperate folks in Chicago.

"Paging Mr.Tilton to the white courtesy phone please"

So what happens when:

The esteemed gentleman senator from MN says HQ must be in Minneapolis and then our esteemed gentleman congressman from GA requires, as a condition of the merger, that the HQ be in Atlanta?

Lots of greasing of palms.

I don't get what he's saying about the collapse into three mega carriers and their being no competition because of of that. What about Southwest? What about Frontier? What about JetBlue? These guys aren't going to go away overnight and will still continue to pressure fares downwards and the new big three in check.

I don't get what he's saying about the collapse into three mega carriers and their being no competition because of of that. What about Southwest? What about Frontier? What about JetBlue? These guys aren't going to go away overnight and will still continue to pressure fares downwards and the new big three in check.

He's just another politician (in an election year) pandering to a general public who all feel that they are "entitled" to $69 internet fares to everywhere.

Just like John McCain calling the UAL pilots 'unpatriotic' for their perfectly legal actions in 2000 during contract negotiations (which, to this day, the media still refers to as a "work stoppage", or "sickout", which is absolute nonsense, but sounds better in print than simply working to the letter of the contract).

For that reason, the latter did not get my vote in the primary, and will never get my vote in any election.

He's just another politician (in an election year) pandering to a general public who all feel that they are "entitled" to $69 internet fares to everywhere.

Just like John McCain calling the UAL pilots 'unpatriotic' for their perfectly legal actions in 2000 during contract negotiations (which, to this day, the media still refers to as a "work stoppage", or "sickout", which is absolute nonsense, but sounds better in print than simply working to the letter of the contract).

For that reason, the latter did not get my vote in the primary, and will never get my vote in any election.

Dear Sir,

Congressman Oberstar's record speaks for itself. (his passion and fight needs no explanation for those that know him. This is NOT Bankruptcy, where ALL politicians are helpless. Congress can MAKE laws...not interpret them.) [poli sci..1st year as Richard Anderson should know]

There is NO logical reason why Northwest Airlines should be giving up it's destiny, brand, and sacrifices (24,00 NWA emplyee jobs CHOPPED/PLUS some of the BEST AVIATION MECHANICS in the WORLD, all 4,000 PLUS of them! [some with 40 years of expertise]...for ANY airline. They kept me ALIVE for quite some time.

Thanks to the EXTREME sacrifices of Northwest employees...we are secure in our future as a stand alone....with the "PROPER" management.

NO comment on Mc AMNESTY...

Dear Sir,

Congressman Oberstar's record speaks for itself. (his passion and fight needs no explanation for those that know him. This is NOT Bankruptcy, where ALL politicians are helpless. Congress can MAKE laws...not interpret them.) [poli sci..1st year as Richard Anderson should know]

There is NO logical reason why Northwest Airlines should be giving up it's destiny, brand, and sacrifices...for ANY airline. Thanks to the EXTREME sacrifices of Northwest employees...we are secure in our future as a stand alone....with the "PROPER" management.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NxNW,

This "situation" is (SO) Obviously an "Inside" job, cooked up(God only knows HOW long ago) by Steenland/Anderson/DL-BOD's and NW-BOD's.

And your SO right NxNW, Big Red, given their "Quirky"(Quirky is not a bad thing) Route system/hubs, rather small number of total employees, is quite capable of "going it alone" !

Back to "Doug + DICK".....they are Obviously "taking a SHOT" to see If they can "pull it off"
In summary, "IF" a deal with DL becomes a good thing for NW(like NW being the survivor, with Name Intact), then by all means...Go for it. But If not, and with Oberstars help, .....The RED Tails need to fight those "dirty Buggers" to the DEATH !

Dear Sir,

There is NO logical reason why Northwest Airlines should be giving up it's destiny, brand, and sacrifices (24,00 NWA emplyee jobs CHOPPED/PLUS some of the BEST AVIATION MECHANICS in the WORLD, all 4,000 PLUS of them! [some with 40 years of expertise]...for ANY airline. They kept me ALIVE for quite some time.

Thanks to the EXTREME sacrifices of Northwest employees...we are secure in our future as a stand alone....with the "PROPER" management.

Of course you're kidding about the AMT's @ NWA...right? I've seen some of these scabs in action. It took them 3 hours
to change a DC 9 mlg tire. The tech writing dept @ NWA has had to dumb down the mx manuals to accommodate this new breed of AMT's that NWA has. Was that 40 years of experience, the total of all their experience added together?

Of course you're kidding about the AMT's @ NWA...right?

Vortilon--

I think you misread NxNW's statement... He/she was counting the real AMT's in with the sacrifices that all of us at NWA have made. The word "plus" meant "including."

"24,00 NWA emplyee jobs CHOPPED/PLUS some of the BEST AVIATION MECHANICS in the WORLD, all 4,000 PLUS of them! [some with 40 years of expertise]...for ANY airline. They kept me ALIVE for quite some time. 24,00 NWA emplyee jobs CHOPPED/[/b]PLUS [/b]some of the BEST AVIATION MECHANICS in the WORLD, all 4,000 PLUS of them! [some with 40 years of expertise]...for ANY airline. They kept me ALIVE for quite some time. "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts