Oldest Commercial 757 To Be Scrapped-Help Save It!

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
With numerous threads discussing the future of the Boeing 757 in various airline fleets, it should be noted that the oldest Boeing
757 in commercial airline service worldwide, N916UW, operated by US Airways, has seen the last of its flights and will soon be headed to the scrapper. Love or hate the company, US Airways has been known for its operation of the oldest line 757s in commercial service that originated with Eastern Air Lines in the early 1980s. N916UW, a 1982 Boeing 757-225 (line number 3), was nicknamed “Christineâ€￾ and renowned for its mechanical challenges. It was retired in January, following several weeks of substituting for other aircraft throughout US Airways’ domestic and Caribbean network. N916UW was ferried to Macon, Georgia, for processing prior to being sent to Greenwood, Mississippi, this month for almost immediate scrapping by The Memphis Group. Thus, we are about to lose another historic aircraft—one even used in certification of the Boeing 757 program. Yes, the interior was in need of makeover, and the aircraft clearly showed its age, but it is always sad to see an original airframe disappear.

I have been in contact with The Memphis Group (part of GECAS) about the aircraft’s fate and cost of acquisition, and have proposed forming a campaign in conjunction with the Carolinas Aviation Museum in Charlotte, North Carolina (US Airways’ largest hub), to acquire and preserve the aircraft. Recognizing that many of you love the Boeing 757, I would appreciate nothing more than for you to contact the Carolinas Aviation Museum and express your desire for the museum to preserve this particular aircraft. While there are many layers of approval that must be received prior to a commitment by any museum, your input would undoubtedly be valuable in conveying the significance of this aircraft.

Please visit http://www.carolinasaviation.org/ for museum contact information. Thank you!
from another poster on a differant board

Reactions: 1 person
from another poster on a differant board

That would be me! Thanks for bringing this over to US Av. 916 may have some significance among some of you folks. What does anyone think about this?

Thanks!

It's been said that older, "aged" aluminum makes for the best beers. We might have to outbid Anheuser-Busch on this one.

600 was "Hangar Queen" or "Christine".

Remember the Lav mods US did with the beams going through the windows to hold the fuselage in place?

600-609 and 618 were EA builds, all others were newly bought, 610 being "Ideas that fly"

I believe acft 600 was line number 3, but wasn't acft 602 line number 2? Never did see a line number 1!

It would be neat if this aircraft could be saved! However, if it is saved I would like to see it repainted in the original Eastern Air Lines scheme (with the "757" displayed on the tail) as it is my favorite 757 livery and IMHO one the the nicest looking schemes on a 757! Plus it would be more appropriate considering EA was the launch customer.

It would be neat if this aircraft could be saved! However, if it is saved I would like to see it repainted in the original Eastern Air Lines scheme (with the "757" displayed on the tail) as it is my favorite 757 livery and IMHO one the the nicest looking schemes on a 757! Plus it would be more appropriate considering EA was the launch customer.

Agreed! It's a sharp looking plane in that livery. Really, I don't care what colors it would sport at a museum, I would just like to see it preserved in one.

Anyone send a note to the Carolinas Aviation Museum?

600 was "Hangar Queen" or "Christine".

Remember the Lav mods US did with the beams going through the windows to hold the fuselage in place?

600-609 and 618 were EA builds, all others were newly bought, 610 being "Ideas that fly"
As a side note, 618 was originally Eastern but USAir got it from America West during their bankruptcy thus the higher, out of sequence tail number. So it has been through both airlines.