One Finger Salute

boeingtamer

Apr 20, 2008
As a first time commuter out of PIT after 26 years living in base, I have to applaud the guys that have been doing it since day one. Actually either applaud or submit you for psychological testing. :lol: It's tough enough dealing with the commute that we don't need to make it harder on each other. I've heard of problems of a few East / West jumpseats but that's not what I talking about here. Recently a Republic crew explained their disappointment when a East crew F/O gave them a one finger salute when they taxied by in MSY. They didn't even understand why they were the object of derision. Come on guys, let's grow up and not make it harder on each other. These guys are just doing their jobs. They may be doing our flying but it was "given" to them by ALPA as ratified by our pilots. I had to profusely apologize before it became clear that I was welcomed onto their jumpseat.

As a first time commuter out of PIT after 26 years living in base, I have to applaud the guys that have been doing it since day one. Actually either applaud or submit you for psychological testing. :lol: It's tough enough dealing with the commute that we don't need to make it harder on each other. I've heard of problems of a few East / West jumpseats but that's not what I talking about here. Recently a Republic crew explained their disappointment when a East crew F/O gave them a one finger salute when they taxied by in MSY. They didn't even understand why they were the object of derision. Come on guys, let's grow up and not make it harder on each other. These guys are just doing their jobs. They may be doing our flying but it was "given" to them by ALPA as ratified by our pilots. I had to profusely apologize before it became clear that I was welcomed onto their jumpseat.

Thank you, I agree it's very petty and immature of people who give the one finger salute to hard working dedicated crew members. Regardless if they're not your own airline or taking away flying from Mainline but news flash Jack...your own union voted to contract flying out as part of the "high cost of cheap" mentality that Tempe has put in.

Thank you, I agree it's very petty and immature of people who give the one finger salute to hard working dedicated crew members. Regardless if they're not your own airline or taking away flying from Mainline but news flash Jack...your own union voted to contract flying out as part of the "high cost of cheap" mentality that Tempe has put in.
maybe he was doing the "come hither" instead of the finger wave :up:

That might be one reason unions are rated just above congress by the American public, below even Laywers and HMOs.

............when a East crew F/O gave them a one finger salute when they taxied by in MSY. They didn't even understand why they were the object of derision.

Ahh, memories.

I remember in '92 when we were walking the picket line and the pilots were crossing. One gave me the 'one finger salute', called me a "lazy f*****g Mechanic", and told me to "get back to work because I was ruining his stock price."

Must have been the same guy.

............when a East crew F/O gave them a one finger salute when they taxied by in MSY. They didn't even understand why they were the object of derision.

Ahh, memories.

I remember in '92 when we were walking the picket line and the pilots were crossing. One gave me the 'one finger salute', called me a "lazy f*****g Mechanic", and told me to "get back to work because I was ruining his stock price."

There are idiots everywhere. I wonder what the passengers that witnessed such a display thought? People SHOULD face discipline for such things.

Ahh, memories.

I can remember back in '85 I think, taxiing out for takeoff in LGA. Cold, overcast, windy day - February or March. I counted at least 30 planes waiting for takeoff while aircraft were landing on Runway 22. Most of those landing were Eastern Airlines and most happened to be 727's. One after the other, they made their approach, flared and lowered their right wing, and touched down gently on one main wheel first and then the other. It was an inspiring sight for a young airline pilot.

As the takeoff line slowly snaked it's way to the departure point, idle chatter spontaneously began on ground frequency. Comments about delays, the weather, grading the landings, how's the family were being bantered back and forth during the gaps in controller instructions.

Suddenly someone chimed in with a stern, authoritarian voice, "Okay gentleman, this is not your personal use radio frequency, lets keep it professional".

Several seconds of silence and someone else keyed the mic, "How'd you like to fly with that son of a #### all month?"

Ahh, memories.

Good post!

:rolleyes:
That's right keep severing ties and burning bridges. :ph34r:
Someday ya might need 'em :eek:
Nice to know that we all go through the sign bs :huh: :shock: <_< :unsure:

After the Machinists strike at U,I was out near the taxiway by the FAB building in PIT watching planes go to the gate......as a '37 taxied on by,I waved to the co-pilot and got the Hawaiian Good Luck Sign in return....go figure.

I remember working in DAY before the US/PI merger and this MD 80 capt named Doug came over and started a conversation with me, during that conversation he asked me if I had any dealings with US pilots yet? I said no. Then he said "well get ready because we think our s#!t doesn't stink" we laughed about it and as we parted ways I was thinking this guy seems pretty cool and if the most US pilots are like him I would rather deal with them then the PI ones. Working in DAY after the merger I continued running into Doug from time to time and he never forgot my name and even shocked me when he remembered my wife's name (he learned it through conversation having never meeting her, which is really impressive) at the end of every conversation he always said "well it's starting to smell now so I have to leave", we would laugh and get back to work. Most US pilots that came through DAY were pretty good so I never took what Doug said very seriously. Then they closed DAY forcing a transfer to PIT and what Doug said finally came true! I never meet a pilot from PIT who wasn't a a$$h0!e. I could go on forever but I wont. The AWA pilots I have meet so far seem pretty decent and treat you like a real human being, not the neanderthals the US pilots refer to us as. I do piity the AWA pilots and am sorry for their predicament.

I remember working in DAY before the US/PI merger and this MD 80 capt named Doug came over and started a conversation with me, during that conversation he asked me if I had any dealings with US pilots yet? I said no. Then he said "well get ready because we think our s#!t doesn't stink" we laughed about it and as we parted ways I was thinking this guy seems pretty cool and if the most US pilots are like him I would rather deal with them then the PI ones. Working in DAY after the merger I continued running into Doug from time to time and he never forgot my name and even shocked me when he remembered my wife's name (he learned it through conversation having never meeting her, which is really impressive) at the end of every conversation he always said "well it's starting to smell now so I have to leave", we would laugh and get back to work. Most US pilots that came through DAY were pretty good so I never took what Doug said very seriously. Then they closed DAY forcing a transfer to PIT and what Doug said finally came true! I never meet a pilot from PIT who wasn't a a$$h0!e. I could go on forever but I wont. The AWA pilots I have meet so far seem pretty decent and treat you like a real human being, not the neanderthals the US pilots refer to us as. I do piity the AWA pilots and am sorry for their predicament.

Well, some of the mechs in PIT that I ran into were jerks as well. I could tell you plenty stories but what's the point. Both sides have prejudices that will only gradually change.