One Month reprieve for 40 Displaced from PIT

songbirdstew

Senior
Sep 10, 2003
CBS Message - 17:05--4/17/07

The company and AFA are continuing to evaluate the different options and suggestions from the two meetings that have taken place in Pittsburgh the past two weeks regarding the displacement of 40 flight attendants out of PIT.
While we continue to maintain that it is necessary to reduce PIT flight attendant staffing by 40, Sherri Shamblin, V.P. of In-flight Services and Mike Flores, AFA MEC President have agreed to postpone the June displacements for one month in order to thoroughly evaluate options on how the displacements will occur.
If you are one of the 40 who were notified of being displaced, it will be necessary for you to bid your June schedule as a PIT based flight attendant. Although we cannot guarantee that there will be a change in how the displacements are handled, we anticipate a decision by the first week of May.
Michael Finn
Managing Director, Crew Resources

Great first step! Now let's see the PIT displacement rescinded and more furlougees return where the PIT displacements would have gone...PHL!!! :up:

So what about the flight attendants from PIT that voluntarily put their transfer into PHL? Do they stay now as well or not? Anyone know?

No matter what my bitterness, or lack of respect for this current management..this is a positive step forward. I can only hope that after all the contracts are settled, and the airline is "one," that this is the company we all (want!) to work for. Greeter.

So then, what if this a diversionary tactic to take some heat off management until things cool down a bit? Is this a delaying ploy until after summer? Unfortunately, in the long term has anything really changed?

So then, what if this a diversionary tactic to take some heat off management until things cool down a bit? Is this a delaying ploy until after summer? Unfortunately, in the long term has anything really changed?

Good point.

I would also caution Mike Flores not to get into a quid pro quo dialog with the Company concerning F/A Contract Negotiations. As much as I believe that the PIT F/As deserve other options beside displacements, this should not be accomplished at the expense of a better contract for all US F/As. The Company loves to use a "divide-and-conquer" strategy and this would play right into their hand. We need to encourage our Union Leadership with one voice.

How about adding a few mainline flights back at PIT. Then there is no need for this nonsense. PIT - SAN used to have what 5 flights per day nonstop, now there is NONE or one red eye from SAN which is always OVERBOOKED. They took out two west PIT-PHX flights bring them back as east metal .... there are ways around this!!! Have you ever tried to go PIT-PHX, yeah IMPOSSIBLE. Add more damn flights and use the people there and that beautiful facility!!!!

How about adding a few mainline flights back at PIT. Then there is no need for this nonsense. PIT - SAN used to have what 5 flights per day nonstop, now there is NONE or one red eye from SAN which is always OVERBOOKED. They took out two west PIT-PHX flights bring them back as east metal .... there are ways around this!!! Have you ever tried to go PIT-PHX, yeah IMPOSSIBLE. Add more damn flights and use the people there and that beautiful facility!!!!

I think that has already been looked at, discussed, evaluated, pondered....and the results remain the same.
PIT is not nor will it ever again be, a hub.

It very well could be. I attended both of the meetings and basically we said that they should give our base the same consideration as CLT was given.....look at ALL options before displacing, which is the last resort.
One of the major things brought up is the lack of seats available to even get to PHL. We have a base that used to have over 4500 flight crew members as well as rampers, mechanics, agents, etc PLUS F/As and pilots trying to get there. The average SW flight has 20+ employees on it to/from PHL. Duh, I think they were shocked that they never thought of that....and they wonder why the sick call rate and dependability rate is so high in PHL...because people cannot get there !
Lots of good questions were asked and though I doubt much will be done, they can't say that they weren't told loud and clear. One F/A asked why they keep trying to load 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb. bag over in PHL when pax hate the airport and prefer to fly anywhere but PHL. They just looked puzzled and then Mike Finn said "Well I don't know."
What amazed me is how they want to displace out of PIT...and yes, we are top heavy with RSVs...but 4 times during the meeting, Finn stated "PIT never closes." So, they know that when PHL goes down or CLT/BOS/LGA/DCA is short, they can always call us out. However the numbers people tell them to pull out 40 "heads" as they call us because the numbers reflect that they should.
All I can say is that if they do displace 40 out of here on 7/1 it will be CLT that is top heavy and they better quit calling PIT F/As to cover all the out of base trips like they've been using us to do for the last 6 months.

PIT DISPLACEMENTS POSTPONED

The Company issued the following CBS message today:

The company and the AFA is continuing to evaluate the different options and suggestions from the 2 meetings that have taken place in Pittsburgh over the past two weeks regarding the displacement of 40 Flight Attendants out of PIT. While we continue to maintain that it is still necessary to reduce PIT Flight Attendant staffing by 40, Sherri Shamblin, Vice President of In-Flight and Mike Flores, AFA MEC President have agreed to postpone the June displacement for one month in order to thoroughly evaluate options on how the displacements will occur.

If you are one of the 40 who were notified of being displaced, it will be necessary for you to bid your June schedule as a PIT based Flight Attendant. Although we cannot guarantee that there will be a change in how the displacements are handled, we anticipate a decision by the first week of May.

Michael Finn
Managing Director, Crew Resources
US Airways

After yesterday's meeting in PIT, the Company has agreed to postpone the June PIT displacements for one month while the AFA and the Company look for possible alternatives to the way displacements in PIT will be processed. The PIT Flight Attendants attending both meetings made the Company acutely aware of the way the decision to not displace out of CLT adversely affected them. As a result of that decision the playing field for the PIT Flight Attendants changed drastically as the timing of the announcement not to displace out of CLT occurred almost simultaneously with the displacement bid closing.

The Flight Attendants at the meetings described very eloquently how the tone of US Airways President, Scott Kirby's, letter explaining the decision to displace out of PIT and not out of CLT made them feel less important than their fellow CLT Flight Attendants. I was proud to have been at yesterday's meeting as their representative.

The Company and the AFA will meet over the next two weeks to explore various options to reduce the staffing level in PIT in away that reduces the disruptions to the lives of the PIT Flight Attendants as much as possible. The full US Airways MEC will have to approve of any changes to the way displacements are contractually processed. As the CBS message indicates there are no guarantees but we will try to the best of our ability.

Thank you,

Mike Flores, President
The US Airways MEC
AFA-CWA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lots of good questions were asked and though I doubt much will be done, they can't say that they weren't told loud and clear. One F/A asked why they keep trying to load 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb. bag over in PHL when pax hate the airport and prefer to fly anywhere but PHL. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/b]

I wonder......Scott Kirby told the CLT pilots in one of the March Crew News videos that one of the problems they are facing right now is that US needs the widebody gates at Terminal A East for the new summer destinations. They were going into a meeting with Mayor Street because Delta also wants those gates for domestic widebody flights.

I know US wants those flights to go out from PHL and certainly don't want to give Delta any room at PHL but if we don't get the gates in PHL there is the most excellent facility at PIT as well as a great labor pool...... now what would you do?

I wonder......Scott Kirby told the CLT pilots in one of the March Crew News videos that one of the problems they are facing right now is that US needs the widebody gates at Terminal A East for the new summer destinations. They were going into a meeting with Mayor Street because Delta also wants those gates for domestic widebody flights.

I know US wants those flights to go out from PHL and certainly don't want to give Delta any room at PHL but if we don't get the gates in PHL there is the most excellent facility at PIT as well as a great labor pool...... now what would you do?
As for DL goes, what up at E-1 In PHL? Why is that gate blocked off? I seen it earlier coming back from ATL.

I think that has already been looked at, discussed, evaluated, pondered....and the results remain the same.
PIT is not nor will it ever again be, a hub.

I said nothing about re-hubbing PIT. I just said bring back a few flighs. Save people from having to deal with the disaster that is PHL.

Who really cares about PIT? I mean come on. This is the only city where the 2-4-6 haircut for men never went out of style. Their whole existence revolves around sports. And they can't drive to save themselves. It is so funny to watch how sophisiticated PIT residents believe they are, but in reality they are a bunch of rednecks tailgating in their Pontiacs.

Latest posts